Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

dagenhamdave wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:44 am
Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:26 am

The stats say otherwise.

Benrahma and even Paqueta have a far superior strike rate than JWP , though he can take a corner.
Benny's shooting skill during a match is piss poor at best?
Very true, but unless I'm mistaken the penalty miss against Arsenal was the first one he's missed in our colours. In any case I doubt he'll be taking too many more as I expect him to be off during the window.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:49 am
Clayton wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:50 am

Agendas ? what plans could any of the fans on here have that could in anyway affect the club ? :roll: how could any of us get our way with or without the cooperation of the majority . Sounds to me like you think there is a rebellion looming on the horizon .
I think as fans we just give our opinions on issues at the club that we consider to be important and think should be solved . I think the real issue at times on forums is when one fans opinion is not seen as matching those of the clubs supposed stalwart or seen as the right sort of supporter , thats when the sarcasm raises its ugly head , because they see themselves as having the only opinion .

For instance just because our current manager and the squad have us doing better then was thought possible doesn't mean it can't be improved upon . A few points to consider , that most fans have opinions about and are not part of a underground conspiracy .

1. I think the majority of fans want the club to have new owners to take the club forward .
2. I think the majority of fans think we could always do with better players or even actually having a a striker playing on matchday ?
3. A different manager could get more out of certain players/selection if players were actually started in their best position .
4. A different manager may give the youth a chance ( a lot of the other clubs are doing it , and doing it well ) we will never know if they have the ability otherwise .
5. A different manager may do better if he actually had tactics to fall back on if Plan A isn't working .
6. Just because the current manager has managed along with the current squad to win a minor European Trophy and had them finishing consistently in the top half of the table doesn't mean a new manager couldn't build on this .
I think you're reading too much into a tongue in cheek comment mate. Let's put it another way. I can't disagree with any of the points you've made above, although of course it could be said the opposite of what everyone would hope could just as easily happen. This is West Ham after all.

But as you wll know there are a small number of people who, irrespective of the team's achievements, will refuse to give Moyes any credit for those achievements. I think most fans realise he has many faults but equally can recognise the club now enjoys a higher standing in the pecking order than prior to his arrival. One of the faults often mentioned is stubbornnes, probably a valid observation, but surely it's just as stubborn to refuse to recognise any of the improvements that have happenedc under the Moyes management, warts and all.
Who needs to give him credit?! He gives
himself enough for everyone, he's a bit sparing in the blame department though, well only when it applies to him.

Yes, we are sitting in a better position than an average West Ham season, Well done all.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Too many miserable cunts on here. I should know. After all, I am probably one of them.
Flairon

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Flairon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:59 am Too many miserable cunts on here. I should know. After all, I am probably one of them.
Probably?! 😂
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 am At the end of the day we all want what is best for West Ham United .
As much as I detest Moyes for his (usually) inept or lack of in-game management, his often seemingly non-existent squad management, his snide remarks directed at the greatest fanbase in the world and his refusal to integrate our marvellous set of kids into the first team set up in any shape or form , there is no denying what he has achieved in the last 4 years .

Watching defensive football CAN be entertaining when it’s carried out efficiently and effectively but it’ll take more than 3 clean sheets to convince me I’m afraid though I allow myself to be hopeful.
It’s our mo though that it won’t last . That doesn’t mean it can’t though .
The opportunity for us (the club) to build on what , to us , is success has been there a few times over the last few years .

Our inability to win the game that would put us top 4 has been evident since the Payet season .
Our refusal to invest in January windows when the opportunity to kick on and build has hampered us ( Payet season , last Europa run 2 years ago) and Moyes’ 12/13 man favourites squad system has always been a problem but just because we are just ‘little ole West Ham’ and we should know our place doesn’t mean things could not have been even better . It doesn’t mean we have a sense of entitlement it just means we have a little ambition.

Let’s hope a couple more classy additions to the squad this month show that Sullivan’s hopes and wishes for the club match ours .
I mean , Werner or Emineke ? Go figure …

I’m not holding my breath.
The youth are nowhere near ready to be blooded in the first team. They have only just jumped up to u21 level as last year they were playing at u18 level and it showed in that game they played against Wycombe plus the way Mubama gets bullied and barged off the ball by championship defenders that they need to play men's football for a bit first.

I am glad to see Kodua go out on loan as he seems the most developed physically. I think the kids have the technical skill but need to be far stronger physically and that will come as they play more. I think some need to start with a stint at a L1 side. I believe physicality is why Evan Ferguson has found himself benched in recent weeks at Brighton.

Physicality is a huge part of our league in particular. It is why Kane is revelling in playing in Germany where it is not needed as much and why Kudus is so effective. Forward players in England need to be very strong.

As far as Moyes is concerned, I just look at his win rate at West Ham which is ahead of any other manager that has managed West Ham for a season or more. Yes, we have played some smaller European teams but some of our favourite managers have also managed in the second division so that all evens out given the gap between us and the very elite teams is miles wider than it was when countries didn't own clubs.

We have to accept that we cant compete on all levels. We are not at that level yet and dont have enough top class players for this but we are on an upwards trajectory so I am happy with that and It takes a few years to get to a higher level. This season we have performed well in Europe and especially in the League so the Carabao cup was going to be a big ask though I really dont think the players are blameless there but it was made a little better by the results against Man Utd and Arsenal. We wont win the league but we could qualify for Europe again for the fourth time on the spin. Something no-one has ever managed with West Ham before.

I do think some of our fans still would rather we played pretty football even if we lose more games. I hate that glorious loser attitude as we have had that as a club for far too long. We all want to play expansive football AND win a lot but that needs a much bigger investment than we will likely get for the time being so something has to give and I would rather we had seasons like this where we grind out results against teams like Arsenal which was a superb night out. We have to cut our cloth accordingly until a huge investment comes our way though even then it takes a lot of time as Newcastle are starting to experience due to FFP.

This level of improvement year on year is as good as we are likely to see unless we are bought by someone mega rich and in which case my expectation will change accordingly.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

h69 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:19 am
Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 am At the end of the day we all want what is best for West Ham United .
As much as I detest Moyes for his (usually) inept or lack of in-game management, his often seemingly non-existent squad management, his snide remarks directed at the greatest fanbase in the world and his refusal to integrate our marvellous set of kids into the first team set up in any shape or form , there is no denying what he has achieved in the last 4 years .

Watching defensive football CAN be entertaining when it’s carried out efficiently and effectively but it’ll take more than 3 clean sheets to convince me I’m afraid though I allow myself to be hopeful.
The opportunity for us (the club) to build on what , to us , is success has been there a few times over the last few years .

Our inability to win the game that would put us top 4 has been evident since the Payet season .
Our refusal to invest in January windows when the opportunity to kick on and build has hampered us ( Payet season , last Europa run 2 years ago) and Moyes’ 12/13 man favourites squad system has always been a problem but just because we are just ‘little ole West Ham’ and we should know our place doesn’t mean things could not have been even better . It doesn’t mean we have a sense of entitlement it just means we have a little ambition.

Let’s hope a couple more classy additions to the squad this month show that Sullivan’s hopes and wishes for the club match ours .

The youth are nowhere near ready to be blooded in the first team. They have only just jumped up to u21 level as last year they were playing at u18 level and it showed in that game they played against Wycombe plus the way Mubama gets bullied and barged off the ball by championship defenders that they need to play men's football for a bit first.

I am glad to see Kodua go out on loan as he seems the most developed physically. I think the kids have the technical skill but need to be far stronger physically and that will come as they play more. I think some need to start with a stint at a L1 side. I believe physicality is why Evan Ferguson has found himself benched in recent weeks at Brighton.

Physicality is a huge part of our league in particular. It is why Kane is revelling in playing in Germany where it is not needed as much and why Kudus is so effective. Forward players in England need to be very strong.

As far as Moyes is concerned, I just look at his win rate at West Ham which is ahead of any other manager that has managed West Ham for a season or more. Yes, we have played some smaller European teams but some of our favourite managers have also managed in the second division so that all evens out given the gap between us and the very elite teams is miles wider than it was when countries didn't own clubs.

We have to accept that we cant compete on all levels. We are not at that level yet and dont have enough top class players for this but we are on an upwards trajectory so I am happy with that and It takes a few years to get to a higher level. This season we have performed well in Europe and especially in the League so the Carabao cup was going to be a big ask though I really dont think the players are blameless there but it was made a little better by the results against Man Utd and Arsenal. We wont win the league but we could qualify for Europe again for the fourth time on the spin. Something no-one has ever managed with West Ham before.

I do think some of our fans still would rather we played pretty football even if we lose more games. I hate that glorious loser attitude as we have had that as a club for far too long. We all want to play expansive football AND win a lot but that needs a much bigger investment than we will likely get for the time being so something has to give and I would rather we had seasons like this where we grind out results against teams like Arsenal which was a superb night out. We have to cut our cloth accordingly until a huge investment comes our way though even then it takes a lot of time as Newcastle are starting to experience due to FFP.

This level of improvement year on year is as good as we are likely to see unless we are bought by someone mega rich and in which case my expectation will change accordingly.
goodpost:)

about spot on H

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Sums up my thoughts pretty well ‘69. 👍

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

eskimo joe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:30 am
Flairon wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:59 am Too many miserable cunts on here. I should know. After all, I am probably one of them.
Probably?! 😂
Touché Sir, touché. :lol:
Flairon

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

h69 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:19 am

a long windage but perfectly paragraphed code for saying MOYSIE is a GENIUS..?...

fuck that shit....Moysie is.. and always will be.. a shit george graham