West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Re: West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:13 pm
palerider wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Sunday is drag day at Pale Towers so I was in full Downton Abbey attire but I did have to change my bloomers.
I fully concur.
One minute you're in full attire, strolling around the grounds with Gertrude the one eyed pot bellied pig, and the next, you've got a foot long Canadian log hanging out of your undercarriage.
Absolutely.

By chance we play Wolves on Poldark Day, so I'll be strolling round town doffing my hat to ladies and saying 'I am indebted to you Sir' to the men while checking the score and wondering if the loos are open in Market Square to empty my britches.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

palerider wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:32 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:13 pm

I fully concur.
One minute you're in full attire, strolling around the grounds with Gertrude the one eyed pot bellied pig, and the next, you've got a foot long Canadian log hanging out of your undercarriage.
Absolutely.

By chance we play Wolves on Poldark Day, so I'll be strolling round town doffing my hat to ladies and saying 'I am indebted to you Sir' to the men while checking the score and wondering if the loos are open in Market Square to empty my britches.
Hurrah Sir.
I to shall be getting in to character by reciting scenes from Sherlock Holmes the hound of the Baskervilles. Striding purposefully through the market shouting " by the duce Watson" before unloading a few German torpedoes in the local latrine.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Very well put sir. I think I now know what being a Leeds United fan is like. As you say Moyes has got a, at least imo, very moderate squad to overachieve.

How many of our squad would have a shout at getting into the squad, never mind the actual team, of one of the big fish ? Rice, Soucek, Coufal certainly. Fornals possibly, and Fabianski & Ogbonna if they were 4 or 5 years younger. But unfortunately they're not.

And imo we'd better make the most of it because I think this is as good as it gets. Fans will presumably be back next season so the boo boys will again take centre stage. And a return to relegation scrapping will be back on the agenda.
Think you are wrong there Whiskyman, I don’t believe we will be in relegation battle next season. I think Moyes has us playing really well and fans will get behind him & team. However if he has the team sitting back against say a Burnley then imo the fans have a right to vent their frustrations.

I think mostly it will be the former if he is allowed to build on squad and not sell the main assets.

Imagine the crowd after that performance first 30mins, the atmosphere would be electric, don’t think the team would have sat back like they did but kept on pushing.
Time will tell. And I must admit I'm basing my fears not only on a lot of comments I read on forums but also my own experiences in my last few seasons going regularly to Upton Park. It didn't apply at away games. Must admit my personal experience is around 10 years out of date now but I had started noticing an increasing tendency for players, and the team, to get slagged off at the first sign of something going wrong. Might have changed but I'm guessing it hasn't.

And I hope you're right about the team building thing. My concern is that if we fail to qualify for Europe our better players, and we all know who they are, will become impatient and if and when that happens it could start a downward spiral.

When I mentioned a relegation battle btw I don't see us doing a Sheffield United or West Brom, but I would expect us to be in our usual position of looking anxiously downwards rather than hopefully up at the leaders.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter »

brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm

i wasn't referring to anyones post in particular teslar, just the comment of playing to be entertained is fine and dandy, but would take a scrappy 1-0 win and 3 points and a nice glow on a monday morning all day long. We are no where near the top 6 in terms of 1st team or strength in depth and have massively overachieved this season. But moyes has got a very decent tune out of what we have and i am suddenly rather addicted to winning, rather than that abject feeling normally associated with a monday morning. It of course remains to be seen if we run out of steam or spend to improve in the summer, im also like you pissed with moyes subs which really added nothing to the process but our bench is a stark choice currently.

We didnt lose and for the neutral it was an exciting game...about it really.
Very well put sir. I think I now know what being a Leeds United fan is like. As you say Moyes has got a, at least imo, very moderate squad to overachieve.

How many of our squad would have a shout at getting into the squad, never mind the actual team, of one of the big fish ? Rice, Soucek, Coufal certainly. Fornals possibly, and Fabianski & Ogbonna if they were 4 or 5 years younger. But unfortunately they're not.

And imo we'd better make the most of it because I think this is as good as it gets. Fans will presumably be back next season so the boo boys will again take centre stage. And a return to relegation scrapping will be back on the agenda.
Not Lingard Whiskey ?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Parry Hotter wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Not Lingard Whiskey ?
Left him out because he isn't our player yet Parry. Hope he'll become one as, imo, he's proved to be exactly the sort of player we should be bringing in. Ready for the first team straight away and immediately bringing an improvement to the performances. If we want to keep the likes of Rice and Soucek, and of course hope to attract more players of Lingard's stature, we just can't afford to wait and hope players like Benrahma will prove to be good enough eventually. I'm all for signing young players with potential, but not blowing pretty much our whole transfer budget on a Championship player on the basis of one decent season.

Wait too long and the Rices and Souceks will be fucking off to pastures new.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

h69 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:49 am
terrya1965 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:34 pm

You were entertained for the first 30 minutes, weren't you?

Then we decided to go back to the Football Moyes likes to play against the SKY 6..Sit back and let them dictate.That`s why it ended up 3-3.

Are you referring to the post me and Whiskyman were debating?I wonder BB :lol:

I will play "1-0 to the Arsenal" Football if it meant a trophy at the end of it.

If we were a Chelsea,serial trophy winners(which the post was about),I wouldn't be happy that we had spent all them millions and I'm getting bored to death with the football being played..If you got money,you expect a bit of style.
I was entertained for the whole game. It was end to end at the end of the second half. Entertainment is one thing, winning games is another.

The first 30 mins we played well but Arsenal were shocking.
The first 30 minutes I was in heaven and you can give us some credit too..Of course every Hammer was enjoying us pin them back.

When it become 3-1,I was not entertained,because Arsenal were dominating us.How can you enjoy that?I can't,has a fan tbh.

It`s a bit different watching on the box..I am far less nervous when I am actually at a game.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:27 pm
h69 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:49 am

I was entertained for the whole game. It was end to end at the end of the second half. Entertainment is one thing, winning games is another.

The first 30 mins we played well but Arsenal were shocking.
The first 30 minutes I was in heaven and you can give us some credit too..Of course every Hammer was enjoying us pin them back.

When it become 3-1,I was not entertained,because Arsenal were dominating us.How can you enjoy that?I can't,has a fan tbh.

It`s a bit different watching on the box..I am far less nervous when I am actually at a game.
We had two decent chances in the second half to extend the lead to 4-2, Antonio's miss onto the post being the most obvious. So the 3-3 draw was entirely down to one man who couldn't kick a a ball straight over a short distance.

Regrettable but that's the fact

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

h69 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:47 am
Towie wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Oh the high and mighty H69 speaks again.

Who on here has claimed to be a real fan or indeed accused others of not being real fans due to style of play?

The issue here is that we played well on the front foot, playing good entertaining football. Then inexplicably we sit back letting the opposition back in the game. Leeds game we got away with it today we didn’t.

Keep on going the way we were, we could of got a 4th or fifth in that first half they were totally on the ropes. Go for the throat!
Utter Rubbish. The issue was that Arsenal were crap in the first half and they were not in the second. In the first half we had three shots on goal only but were clinical. In the second half we had far more and were not and we even missed a sitter.

Fuck me, I am starting to see why we never win games with fans in the stadium.
You obviously never see the possession statistic come up on your tv after the first 20-25 minutes then?It was 84% for us.We pinned them back.We were brilliant that first half hour and Arsenal were terrific from then on.How can you be so critical of your own team being 3-0 up after half an hour? Beggars belief tbh.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm

i wasn't referring to anyones post in particular teslar, just the comment of playing to be entertained is fine and dandy, but would take a scrappy 1-0 win and 3 points and a nice glow on a monday morning all day long. We are no where near the top 6 in terms of 1st team or strength in depth and have massively overachieved this season. But moyes has got a very decent tune out of what we have and i am suddenly rather addicted to winning, rather than that abject feeling normally associated with a monday morning. It of course remains to be seen if we run out of steam or spend to improve in the summer, im also like you pissed with moyes subs which really added nothing to the process but our bench is a stark choice currently.

We didnt lose and for the neutral it was an exciting game...about it really.

I personally think Moyes has done a fantastic job considering what he has at his disposal and the c**ts he has to work for.

Years from now,many of us will look back on this season with great fondness,no doubt.

I believe if he was given the right tools,we could compete with some of the bigger clubs on a yearly basis.

Towie

Post by Towie »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:47 pm

I personally think Moyes has done a fantastic job considering what he has at his disposal and the c**ts he has to work for.

Years from now,many of us will look back on this season with great fondness,no doubt.

I believe if he was given the right tools,we could compete with some of the bigger clubs on a yearly basis.
Agree Moyes has done a fantastic job with both hands tied behind his back.
What does annoy me about him, and probably where the Dinosaur tag comes from is his sitting back tactic defend what you have.
Sometimes it may work, not great to watch though.

But why do it when clearly we have a team more than capable of going toe to toe with the likes of Arsenal. Very frustrating.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.