How West Ham became great again

Chat about anything football related here!
hd1

Re: How West Ham became great again

Post by hd1 »

Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 pm
hd1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:38 pm

Karen Brady and Sky weren't even fucking born when I started going to the Boleyn :lol:
Did you have a rattle aswell?
That and the flat cap, oh and I'm partial to a bag of nuts as well :D

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

hd1 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:34 pm
Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 pm
Did you have a rattle aswell?
That and the flat cap, oh and I'm partial to a bag of nuts as well :D
We did..I remember it,in claret and blue.

I'm wondering if my Dad still has it tbh.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Castiron wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:56 am
h69 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:59 am

I agree with you on the CL but to be honest, I would love to watch West Ham play away to a Champions League giant.

But fair enough, you will likely go through the next 10 years in pain because even the FA cup and League cups are almost always won by the super clubs in England. The last time a team outside the top 4 won the FA cup it was 2008. Same with the league cup, only two outside the top 4 in 10 years
It can be done but not only do the top 4 see it as a Mickey Mouse cup they still easily win them because of the power of their squads.

I guess that makes every team in the league a failure other than the top 4.

As far as Everton are concerned, they did indeed spend a lot of money under Koeman as well and he nearly took them down. I dont see them in this list of cup winners at present. If they finish 5th and qualify for Europe, I bet they will be happy. Their expectations are probably much the same as (most of) us. I hope they do win a trophy as it might be more interesting than Man City or Arsenal

My expectations are a lot more realistic than yours. If we finished even 5th and qualified for Europe I would be happy. It represents a huge improvement on last year and if we were to finish in the CL places then bragging rights are worth a lot. You may not watch the CL and I dont much myself but much of the world does and that potentially makes us a more attractive side to play for.

First is LC, second is FA Cup
No doubt we want the same thing. A team that consistently competes I guess.
All boils down to investment at the end of the day, and reaching the Euro spots could attract better and bigger buyers if the dildos fuck off, and players of course, so I see the attraction of that.
It's a catch 22 for Moyes as at the moment he seems to have a good team spirit going and players that want to compete, but if you want to compete on the biggest stage, then you've got to get in big egos, and that's where we've fallen down before.
I've loved watching us this season, but find I can't even get excited by it, keep asking myself is it a fluke, a totally different season to what we know and when are the wheels coming off.
Not that it's a pointer, but speaking to a Chelsea friend of mine and he said "You're doing well....at the moment". Which sums up how I'm looking at it at the moment.
I really hope we can maintain this standard of performance, but would like Moyes to really have a go in the cup next season, whatever happens this.
Tbh I'm enjoying it while it lasts. But my West Ham gene tells me it won't last longer than this season . It looks like next season the fans will be back, the boo boys will return, black balloons and marches will be the order of the day, and everything will return to normal.

And the self fulfilling prophecy of dreams fading and dying will, once again, be fulfilled. But, hey, there's still the rest of this season to enjoy. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Castiron wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:56 am
h69 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:59 am

I agree with you on the CL but to be honest, I would love to watch West Ham play away to a Champions League giant.

But fair enough, you will likely go through the next 10 years in pain because even the FA cup and League cups are almost always won by the super clubs in England. The last time a team outside the top 4 won the FA cup it was 2008. Same with the league cup, only two outside the top 4 in 10 years
It can be done but not only do the top 4 see it as a Mickey Mouse cup they still easily win them because of the power of their squads.

I guess that makes every team in the league a failure other than the top 4.

As far as Everton are concerned, they did indeed spend a lot of money under Koeman as well and he nearly took them down. I dont see them in this list of cup winners at present. If they finish 5th and qualify for Europe, I bet they will be happy. Their expectations are probably much the same as (most of) us. I hope they do win a trophy as it might be more interesting than Man City or Arsenal

My expectations are a lot more realistic than yours. If we finished even 5th and qualified for Europe I would be happy. It represents a huge improvement on last year and if we were to finish in the CL places then bragging rights are worth a lot. You may not watch the CL and I dont much myself but much of the world does and that potentially makes us a more attractive side to play for.

First is LC, second is FA Cup
No doubt we want the same thing. A team that consistently competes I guess.
All boils down to investment at the end of the day, and reaching the Euro spots could attract better and bigger buyers if the dildos fuck off, and players of course, so I see the attraction of that.
It's a catch 22 for Moyes as at the moment he seems to have a good team spirit going and players that want to compete, but if you want to compete on the biggest stage, then you've got to get in big egos, and that's where we've fallen down before.
I've loved watching us this season, but find I can't even get excited by it, keep asking myself is it a fluke, a totally different season to what we know and when are the wheels coming off.
Not that it's a pointer, but speaking to a Chelsea friend of mine and he said "You're doing well....at the moment". Which sums up how I'm looking at it at the moment.
I really hope we can maintain this standard of performance, but would like Moyes to really have a go in the cup next season, whatever happens this.
No doubt but you should get excited by it. It may be only one season but always enjoy success while it lasts, you never know what is round the corner.

deanox

Post by deanox »

BCHammer wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:09 pm James IMO is one of the very best football YouTubers in the world. This video is spot on and he backs everything up with stats - some don't like them, but they are interesting and you simply do not get this sort of content from the TV analysts. It is good to get an objective view (he is a QPR fan) and for Moyes and the players to get some recognition that the position we find ourselves in is not just a fluke.

Just watched this...it's been crazy here in Texas..I like this guy he speaks the truth for a non Hammer.
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

James makes good points

Fab is hugely under rated. Things were looking good under Pelle, we were 1-0 up against Palarse and hit 3rd in the league. Fab got injured, Roberto came in, we lost that game and the rest is history. No team is successful without a decent keeper.

Coufal & Dawson have just been a revelation. We have not had a solid RB since......? and only 5m.... And while humble pie has flown off the shelves, Dawson has proved to be far more of an astute acquisition than 30m Tarkowski. The role of the defensive coaches cant be ignored with the huge improvement in Oggy, Fredericks & Cress and Johnson is looking a more than capable understudy. While we are talking coaches, the set pieces are our not so secret weapon that the opposition just cant overcome.

The emergence of Rice doesn't need speaking about, other than his captaincy is clearly also having an impact.

But it is Soucek who is jewel in the crown, this geezer is the mot important player we have signed in a very long time. His contribution has been as significant as Payet IMO.

Bowen is the polar opposite to Anderson and is clearly a vital ingredient to the winning formula.

Im gutted Haller never worked out, but Antonio is just levels ahead of him in endeavor and to play Moyes ball

Then Lingard has arrived and its been like putting a turbo in the GTI, we are competing with the Lambos.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BCHammer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:02 pm James makes good points

Fab is hugely under rated. Things were looking good under Pelle, we were 1-0 up against Palarse and hit 3rd in the league. Fab got injured, Roberto came in, we lost that game and the rest is history. No team is successful without a decent keeper.

Coufal & Dawson have just been a revelation. We have not had a solid RB since......? and only 5m.... And while humble pie has flown off the shelves, Dawson has proved to be far more of an astute acquisition than 30m Tarkowski. The role of the defensive coaches cant be ignored with the huge improvement in Oggy, Fredericks & Cress and Johnson is looking a more than capable understudy. While we are talking coaches, the set pieces are our not so secret weapon that the opposition just cant overcome.

The emergence of Rice doesn't need speaking about, other than his captaincy is clearly also having an impact.

But it is Soucek who is jewel in the crown, this geezer is the mot important player we have signed in a very long time. His contribution has been as significant as Payet IMO.

Bowen is the polar opposite to Anderson and is clearly a vital ingredient to the winning formula.

Im gutted Haller never worked out, but Antonio is just levels ahead of him in endeavor and to play Moyes ball

Then Lingard has arrived and its been like putting a turbo in the GTI, we are competing with the Lambos.
Roberto was crap all right but he wasn’t the one to blame for the Palace defeat. As I seem to recall a certain Mr Rice screwed up that day.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:04 pm
BCHammer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:02 pm James makes good points

Roberto was crap all right but he wasn’t the one to blame for the Palace defeat. As I seem to recall a certain Mr Rice screwed up that day.
Correct, put his hands up and gave away a stupid penalty.

Then we conceded a last minute winner, and the slippery slope started.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:21 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:04 pm

Correct, put his hands up and gave away a stupid penalty.

Then we conceded a last minute winner, and the slippery slope started.
And the aforementioned Roberto certainly contributed to that even though we can exonerate him for the Palace debacle.

garnett

Post by garnett »

Morning, see what happens when you dont log on for a while, you miss titles like this one, now I have a mission, to find out when we were first "great", I can remember great moments great performances but have never heard us being called a great team by anyone, and sorry , but this team is far from great imo.