How West Ham became great again

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: How West Ham became great again

Post by JayK »

Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:10 pm
Newmarket wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 pm Anyone who knows there West Ham stuff will know that the Boleyn Ground was the stadiums title .
But.
I first went to Upton Park to watch Liverpool beat us 2-0 ((Toshack & Heighway) in 1972 .

And in all the years since then I never heard it referred to as the Boleyn , either in or out the ground until the final season there .
Now it’s like Upton Park never existed.

Brian Moore must be turning in his grave.
At last, thank fuck. This Boleyn shit is a fucking Sky invention.
Think it’s a gsb thing but same as Newmarket, I never ever called it or heard it called the Boleyn (even though we all knew that was it’s official name)
COYI!!!

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Parry Hotter wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 am
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:18 am

Tell me what Spurs have got to show for all their "success",over the past 5 years? Absolutely nothing!

They have been the 3rd/4th(with Chelsea) most consistent team in that time,but teams below them in being have won trophies,who have been less steady.Man U have been nowhere near them,apart from this year and they have got 2 in the cabinet.Chelsea,who have been on a similar stage have won the League,FA Cup and the Europa League.

I'm sure Spurs fans would swap that 2016 PL crown(pipped by Leicester),rather than consistency?

You are right,we do need consistency to grow has a club,but we`d all love us to lift a FA or League Cup..I think it would be quite an even vote(in normal circumstances,if fans were attending) to win the FA Cup or get in the CL tbh.Even thought he latter is a better spring board for more success and a lot of the fans would love the away trips.
Loads of spurs fans where i live and almost all of them loved being in the champs league. One old boy whose been a season ticket holder for bloody years said the best day of his LIFE was the champs league final even though they lost.
I have also got Spurs mates my age(late 50's) and they still say the best night of their life was winning the FA Cup in 1981(when scoring the winner in the FA Cup Final was every young lads dream)...Obviously if they'd have won the CL in 2020,that would have been a different matter.

I would compare being in the CL Final now,was a similar feeling to reaching the FA Cup Final back in the 60's,70's and 80's.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:19 pm
Parry Hotter wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 am

Loads of spurs fans where i live and almost all of them loved being in the champs league. One old boy whose been a season ticket holder for bloody years said the best day of his LIFE was the champs league final even though they lost.
I'm surrounded by them too Parry, in fact I know a few ST holders and, to a man, they agree with what you say. One of them actually knows a couple of their players well because he does some taxation work for them and they both told him getting to that final was bigger to them than winning one of the domestic pots. The FA Cup final itself is still a big deal to a lot of fans, it's a good day out on the sauce at least, but to players it's no big deal these days unless you're a non league or lower division player who gets the chance to play against a top team.

Even though you'd probably be playing their second string it's still a challenge and a good day for the fans. But with no fans allowed this season and fixtures needing to be crammed in I don't see why they bothered with the cups this season.
Considering they haven't been in an FA Cup Final for 30 years,they'd obviously say that..30 years is a long time ago.

The Champions League Final is now the biggest by far now,but if we managed to qualify for it this year,that isn't a cats hell chance of reaching the Final..City have been fantastic in the last 5 years domestically,but have been no where near one.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

JayK wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm
Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:10 pm
At last, thank fuck. This Boleyn shit is a fucking Sky invention.
Think it’s a gsb thing but same as Newmarket, I never ever called it or heard it called the Boleyn (even though we all knew that was it’s official name)
Probably right mate, they've sucked every last bit of our identity away to be fair.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:10 pm At last, thank fuck. This Boleyn shit is a fucking Sky invention.
Karen Brady and Sky weren't even fucking born when I started going to the Boleyn :lol:

JayK

Post by JayK »

Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:36 pm
JayK wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Probably right mate, they've sucked every last bit of our identity away to be fair.
Yep. Absolute cunts mate
COYI!!!

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

hd1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:38 pm
Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:10 pm At last, thank fuck. This Boleyn shit is a fucking Sky invention.
Karen Brady and Sky weren't even fucking born when I started going to the Boleyn :lol:
Did you have a rattle aswell?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:29 pm
hd1 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 pm He's called a dinosaur on here by many people, many times.

but one step at a time eh? He's turned a disjointed side fighting relegation into a side pushing for a top 6 place in less than 12 months, and you want silverware?

It's up to the fans in the stadium whether the performances we are seeing will be enough to cheer on the players and provide a cup tie atmosphere week in week out. Although given it didn't happen at the Boleyn I suspect it won't happen at the LS.
Moyes has done brilliantly with the squad he has got this season, and I have really enjoyed some of our games entertainment wise too. But some of his tactics of everyman and his dog sitting on the 18yd box Is a tad prehistoric, and has been used in quite a few of our games.

Think we can gripe about that can’t we?
Whatever happened to "the ends justify the means" ? ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:07 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:34 pm

He will be by me if he can consistently finish in the top 6 or 7. I want us to compete, that is all I ask. A few years of being up the top, enjoying results rather than looking at relegation I would love.

I dont doubt that winning something is the be-all and end-all to some people just for the day out but the point is that Moyes is more likely to win a cup with our squad and budget than Pellegrini ever is. Their performances as managers at other clubs is not an indicator in any way shape or form as far as a cup goes. We were suckered with that naive view with Pellegrini. He was never going to win anything with us but had with other teams.

That said, this demand that we win a trophy is infantile. Of course we all want us to win one but how many trophies have been won by teams outside the so called top 4 or 5 in the last 15 years. By your example, do you think that Nuno has been a failure at Wolves ? Rodgers at Leicester ? If Everton finish 5th this season under Ancelotti do you think they will see him as a failure ?

The fact that you expect us to have the same expectation as Ferguson and Pep is frankly laughable. Go and look at the Spurs forum to show how happy they are with their serial winner and they are in a League cup final. Granted they have not won it yet but they seem to prefer top 4 and Champions League qualification and they have not won anything in 20 years.

Everton.....a team that got rid of Moyes despite him keeping them up the top of the league reasonably consistently because they felt they should be winning trophies and got in Martinez, Allardyce and Koeman. How has that worked out for them ?? They say they got Koeman in to turn Everton into Barca but he has turned Barca into Everton :lol:

I personally want to see us compete in the league. I'd love to win an FA cup or a League cup but that is very difficult to do nowadays, unlike the old days, the gap between us and Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea in finances is why they almost always mop up the cups.

As far as setting up against the big clubs...Moyes, himself said he was not happy with the way the team backed off against Liverpool, The team he put out was offensive enough but they were scared...that was down to the players to be honest.

As far as players. I would think nearly every one of them would rather play in the CL than win an FA or League cup medal. Every one. If they say otherwise they are lying. It is not the romantic view that fans have but it is the way the game is these days. It raises their profile (and earning potential).

We have a goal difference of +10. That is not a negative team.

This is not the 80s.
As I said it's your opinion.
I haven't watched a Champions league game for 2 years at a guess, could be longer, as it bores me to death. Champions League has no appeal to me whatsoever.
Do you think we will win the Champions League with Moyes?. If yes, then pass me some of what you are smoking.
If no, then what is the point of getting all excited about getting there
We could possibly have a go in the Europa if he keeps building, but I doubt it.
As for the players being scared of Liverpool ffs, if that's the case the buck stops firmly with the manager on that one.
A team that didn't have a recognised center back to call on, and we were scared 😂
They totally outplayed us and made us look like the West Ham of old.
As for Ancelotti, if I was an Everton fan, I would be very disappointed if he didn't win anything there.
They've spent the money.
So I'm living in the eighties because I want West Ham to actually fucking win something,
Jog on mate ffs
I agree with you on the CL but to be honest, I would love to watch West Ham play away to a Champions League giant.

But fair enough, you will likely go through the next 10 years in pain because even the FA cup and League cups are almost always won by the super clubs in England. The last time a team outside the top 4 won the FA cup was 9 years ago. Same with the league cup, only two outside the top 4 in 10 years
It can be done but not only do the top 4 see it as a Mickey Mouse cup they still easily win them because of the power of their squads.

I guess that makes every team in the league a failure other than the top 4.

As far as Everton are concerned, they did indeed spend a lot of money under Koeman as well and he nearly took them down. I dont see them in this list of cup winners at present. If they finish 5th and qualify for Europe, I bet they will be happy. Their expectations are probably much the same as (most of) us. I hope they do win a trophy as it might be more interesting than Man City or Arsenal

My expectations are a lot more realistic than yours. If we finished even 5th and qualified for Europe I would be happy. It represents a huge improvement on last year and if we were to finish in the CL places then bragging rights are worth a lot. You may not watch the CL and I dont much myself but much of the world does and that potentially makes us a more attractive side to play for.

First is LC, second is FA Cup
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 10.55.13.png
Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 10.55.13.png (268.21 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 10.52.41.png
Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 10.52.41.png (296.81 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Last edited by h69 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

h69 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:59 am
Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:07 pm
As I said it's your opinion.
I haven't watched a Champions league game for 2 years at a guess, could be longer, as it bores me to death. Champions League has no appeal to me whatsoever.
Do you think we will win the Champions League with Moyes?. If yes, then pass me some of what you are smoking.
If no, then what is the point of getting all excited about getting there
We could possibly have a go in the Europa if he keeps building, but I doubt it.
As for the players being scared of Liverpool ffs, if that's the case the buck stops firmly with the manager on that one.
A team that didn't have a recognised center back to call on, and we were scared 😂
They totally outplayed us and made us look like the West Ham of old.
As for Ancelotti, if I was an Everton fan, I would be very disappointed if he didn't win anything there.
They've spent the money.
So I'm living in the eighties because I want West Ham to actually fucking win something,
Jog on mate ffs
I agree with you on the CL but to be honest, I would love to watch West Ham play away to a Champions League giant.

But fair enough, you will likely go through the next 10 years in pain because even the FA cup and League cups are almost always won by the super clubs in England. The last time a team outside the top 4 won the FA cup it was 2008. Same with the league cup, only two outside the top 4 in 10 years
It can be done but not only do the top 4 see it as a Mickey Mouse cup they still easily win them because of the power of their squads.

I guess that makes every team in the league a failure other than the top 4.

As far as Everton are concerned, they did indeed spend a lot of money under Koeman as well and he nearly took them down. I dont see them in this list of cup winners at present. If they finish 5th and qualify for Europe, I bet they will be happy. Their expectations are probably much the same as (most of) us. I hope they do win a trophy as it might be more interesting than Man City or Arsenal

My expectations are a lot more realistic than yours. If we finished even 5th and qualified for Europe I would be happy. It represents a huge improvement on last year and if we were to finish in the CL places then bragging rights are worth a lot. You may not watch the CL and I dont much myself but much of the world does and that potentially makes us a more attractive side to play for.

First is LC, second is FA Cup
No doubt we want the same thing. A team that consistently competes I guess.
All boils down to investment at the end of the day, and reaching the Euro spots could attract better and bigger buyers if the dildos fuck off, and players of course, so I see the attraction of that.
It's a catch 22 for Moyes as at the moment he seems to have a good team spirit going and players that want to compete, but if you want to compete on the biggest stage, then you've got to get in big egos, and that's where we've fallen down before.
I've loved watching us this season, but find I can't even get excited by it, keep asking myself is it a fluke, a totally different season to what we know and when are the wheels coming off.
Not that it's a pointer, but speaking to a Chelsea friend of mine and he said "You're doing well....at the moment". Which sums up how I'm looking at it at the moment.
I really hope we can maintain this standard of performance, but would like Moyes to really have a go in the cup next season, whatever happens this.