How West Ham became great again

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: How West Ham became great again

Post by BlackDiamond »

h69 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:34 pm
Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Your opinion. So what is the point then?.
What is the end goal of a football team?.
In my book to win something.
Go and ask Ferguson why he was in the game. Go and ask Pep why he is in the game.
Go and ask any player why they play the game.
Go and ask if the Everton fans are happy that Moyes kept them in the top ten most seasons but won fuck all.
I like what Moyes is doing thus far, but he is still a manager who has won fuck all in the game. If he can deliver trophies then I will like him even more.
He won't be remembered for finishing 5th or 6th, but would be if we lifted a trophy.
He will be by me if he can consistently finish in the top 6 or 7. I want us to compete, that is all I ask. A few years of being up the top, enjoying results rather than looking at relegation I would love.

I dont doubt that winning something is the be-all and end-all to some people just for the day out but the point is that Moyes is more likely to win a cup with our squad and budget than Pellegrini ever is. Their performances as managers at other clubs is not an indicator in any way shape or form as far as a cup goes. We were suckered with that naive view with Pellegrini. He was never going to win anything with us but had with other teams.

That said, this demand that we win a trophy is infantile. Of course we all want us to win one but how many trophies have been won by teams outside the so called top 4 or 5 in the last 15 years. By your example, do you think that Nuno has been a failure at Wolves ? Rodgers at Leicester ? If Everton finish 5th this season under Ancelotti do you think they will see him as a failure ?

The fact that you expect us to have the same expectation as Ferguson and Pep is frankly laughable. Go and look at the Spurs forum to show how happy they are with their serial winner and they are in a League cup final. Granted they have not won it yet but they seem to prefer top 4 and Champions League qualification and they have not won anything in 20 years.

Everton.....a team that got rid of Moyes despite him keeping them up the top of the league reasonably consistently because they felt they should be winning trophies and got in Martinez, Allardyce and Koeman. How has that worked out for them ?? They say they got Koeman in to turn Everton into Barca but he has turned Barca into Everton :lol:

I personally want to see us compete in the league. I'd love to win an FA cup or a League cup but that is very difficult to do nowadays, unlike the old days, the gap between us and Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea in finances is why they almost always mop up the cups.

As far as setting up against the big clubs...Moyes, himself said he was not happy with the way the team backed off against Liverpool, The team he put out was offensive enough but they were scared...that was down to the players to be honest.

As far as players. I would think nearly every one of them would rather play in the CL than win an FA or League cup medal. Every one. If they say otherwise they are lying. It is not the romantic view that fans have but it is the way the game is these days. It raises their profile (and earning potential).

We have a goal difference of +10. That is not a negative team.

This is not the 80s.
Good post H69 and as a diversification on managerial trends (and we all like Carlo Ancelloti very much) consider this.

Two British managager sit in the top 4 and six English managers make up the bottom 6. I'm not blaming them but - come on boys

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Just to add I agree with the sentiment of not looking over our shoulders for a few seasons.
Oh the joys.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:23 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:34 pm

He will be by me if he can consistently finish in the top 6 or 7. I want us to compete, that is all I ask. A few years of being up the top, enjoying results rather than looking at relegation I would love.

I dont doubt that winning something is the be-all and end-all to some people just for the day out but the point is that Moyes is more likely to win a cup with our squad and budget than Pellegrini ever is. Their performances as managers at other clubs is not an indicator in any way shape or form as far as a cup goes. We were suckered with that naive view with Pellegrini. He was never going to win anything with us but had with other teams.

That said, this demand that we win a trophy is infantile. Of course we all want us to win one but how many trophies have been won by teams outside the so called top 4 or 5 in the last 15 years. By your example, do you think that Nuno has been a failure at Wolves ? Rodgers at Leicester ? If Everton finish 5th this season under Ancelotti do you think they will see him as a failure ?

The fact that you expect us to have the same expectation as Ferguson and Pep is frankly laughable. Go and look at the Spurs forum to show how happy they are with their serial winner and they are in a League cup final. Granted they have not won it yet but they seem to prefer top 4 and Champions League qualification and they have not won anything in 20 years.

Everton.....a team that got rid of Moyes despite him keeping them up the top of the league reasonably consistently because they felt they should be winning trophies and got in Martinez, Allardyce and Koeman. How has that worked out for them ?? They say they got Koeman in to turn Everton into Barca but he has turned Barca into Everton :lol:

I personally want to see us compete in the league. I'd love to win an FA cup or a League cup but that is very difficult to do nowadays, unlike the old days, the gap between us and Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea in finances is why they almost always mop up the cups.

As far as setting up against the big clubs...Moyes, himself said he was not happy with the way the team backed off against Liverpool, The team he put out was offensive enough but they were scared...that was down to the players to be honest.

As far as players. I would think nearly every one of them would rather play in the CL than win an FA or League cup medal. Every one. If they say otherwise they are lying. It is not the romantic view that fans have but it is the way the game is these days. It raises their profile (and earning potential).

We have a goal difference of +10. That is not a negative team.

This is not the 80s.
Good post H69 and as a diversification on managerial trends (and we all like Carlo Ancelloti very much) consider this.

Two British managager sit in the top 4 and six English managers make up the bottom 6. I'm not blaming them but - come on boys
You can't tar Allardyce with that brush. He didn't name himself Allerdici for nothing.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

JayK wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:26 pm I read a quote from Rice saying Soucek covered 17km in the Man Utd game. That’s just phenomenal. I used to struggle to do that in my old car 😂
:lol:

Towie

Post by Towie »

hd1 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 pm He's called a dinosaur on here by many people, many times.

but one step at a time eh? He's turned a disjointed side fighting relegation into a side pushing for a top 6 place in less than 12 months, and you want silverware?

It's up to the fans in the stadium whether the performances we are seeing will be enough to cheer on the players and provide a cup tie atmosphere week in week out. Although given it didn't happen at the Boleyn I suspect it won't happen at the LS.
Moyes has done brilliantly with the squad he has got this season, and I have really enjoyed some of our games entertainment wise too. But some of his tactics of everyman and his dog sitting on the 18yd box Is a tad prehistoric, and has been used in quite a few of our games.

Think we can gripe about that can’t we?
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Towie wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:29 pm
hd1 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 pm He's called a dinosaur on here by many people, many times.

but one step at a time eh? He's turned a disjointed side fighting relegation into a side pushing for a top 6 place in less than 12 months, and you want silverware?

It's up to the fans in the stadium whether the performances we are seeing will be enough to cheer on the players and provide a cup tie atmosphere week in week out. Although given it didn't happen at the Boleyn I suspect it won't happen at the LS.
Moyes has done brilliantly with the squad he has got this season, and I have really enjoyed some of our games entertainment wise too. But some of his tactics of everyman and his dog sitting on the 18yd box Is a tad prehistoric, and has been used in quite a few of our games.

Think we can gripe about that can’t we?
We're scared.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:58 amDidn't say I want silverware right now anywhere in my post. Said if he produces silverware. Also seen many a cup tie at Upton Park, as it's known by, where the crowd has been the twelth man.
You did say if, and if he did he'd win over the fans yet it seems he's already won over quite a few already, and of the ones I know they all recognise the great job he's done in such a short space of time.

Upton Park as it's known by? Only by opposing fans. The stadium we played at was The Boleyn Ground, which was located in Upton Park. In all the 50+ years I've been supporting West Ham I've never been pulled up for calling where we played, the Boleyn.

As for being scared, we looked petrified on Sunday :roll:

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

hd1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 pm
Castiron wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:58 amDidn't say I want silverware right now anywhere in my post. Said if he produces silverware. Also seen many a cup tie at Upton Park, as it's known by, where the crowd has been the twelth man.
You did say if, and if he did he'd win over the fans yet it seems he's already won over quite a few already, and of the ones I know they all recognise the great job he's done in such a short space of time.

Upton Park as it's known by? Only by opposing fans. The stadium we played at was The Boleyn Ground, which was located in Upton Park. In all the 50+ years I've been supporting West Ham I've never been pulled up for calling where we played, the Boleyn.

As for being scared, we looked petrified on Sunday :roll:
😂 We all know what the ground is called mate. You've been listening to Karen for too long you would have been told to fuck off if you called it the Boleyn in the chicken run.
Mind you you probably would have called it Boleyn London.
Read my other post and you'll get where the scared comment came from.
The funs gone from this site..Jeeez.
And show me where I said I want silverware this season.
If you actually read my fucking post you'll see that I have praised the Messiah. Now fuck off.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Anyone who knows there West Ham stuff will know that the Boleyn Ground was the stadiums title .
But.
I first went to Upton Park to watch Liverpool beat us 2-0 ((Toshack & Heighway) in 1972 .

And in all the years since then I never heard it referred to as the Boleyn , either in or out the ground until the final season there .
Now it’s like Upton Park never existed.

Brian Moore must be turning in his grave.
Bring back Jonathon !

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 pm Anyone who knows there West Ham stuff will know that the Boleyn Ground was the stadiums title .
But.
I first went to Upton Park to watch Liverpool beat us 2-0 ((Toshack & Heighway) in 1972 .

And in all the years since then I never heard it referred to as the Boleyn , either in or out the ground until the final season there .
Now it’s like Upton Park never existed.

Brian Moore must be turning in his grave.
At last, thank fuck. This Boleyn shit is a fucking Sky invention.