West Ham vs Burnley Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham vs Burnley Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:04 pm
Newmarket wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 pm Been out in a pussy hunt this afternoon so missed the game .

I assume the young kid on the bench got ignored ?
Yes he did. Antonio was tiring from 65 mins but he played the full 90. Benrahma showed some sparks of creativity and looked disappointed when he was replaced with Lanzini who played his usual mixture of some things ok and others less so.

Which left Bowen who had carved some interesting moments but just not reached lift off point...but he was quickly replaced by Yarmolenko who offered a 15 min cameo of doing everything wrong in his exaggerated clumsy style.

That left the excellent Declan and Soucek to save the Moye's bacon plus special mentions for the back four. Again Dawson was v.good.

Had the "kid" replaced Antonio and all the others remained where they should be, then proceedings would have probably continued a whole lot smoother and more proitable.

But DM would probably say "winning is what I do" and keeping clean sheets is also what he does (atm) so I suppose we have to keep our traps shut.

Still, when you can make something even better - shouldn't you at least have a fucking look at doing so...
The time to bring on an inexperienced kid imo isn't when you're one goal up against a physical side. Antonio is a physical beast and well able and experienced enough to look after himself. We don't know if the kid would be up to it so why risk it. By all means bring him on when the game is comfortably won, or for that matter lost.

I'm well pleased with the result today because I thought we'd struggle. I suppose 1-0 counts as a struggle but if we'd taken the chances we created we'd have been comfortably home and hosed and maybe then we could have thrown on the kid and given Antonio a break.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Should rename the site The Victor Meldrew chat. Seems even when things are going our way we look for something to moan about, i dont believe it. Moan all we like i would rather watch what Moyes dishes out than the farce our next opponents manager dishes out. Name one manager in the last 5 that didnt screw things up or were above criticism, of them there is only one and he is by no means perfect but hes doing a far better job than the others.

I dont know if its me seeing this, but since we were promised the moon we appear to look for the negatives and have no problem with shortage. Yesterdays match on the whole was a good commanding performance. Ok we had a patch where it was a bit the other way, but on the whole we commanded that game, and considering our previous against them, it was a change.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

A win against Burnley is no mean feat for us , so I will take that . Onwards and upwards , I say , bring on the Baggies for a further 3 pointer .
Even if I don't like the indecisive , dithering , dinosaur , bug eyed , ginger , pipe smoking , scotch drinking , haggis eating , tartan wearing excuse for a manager .

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Clayton wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:38 am A win against Burnley is no mean feat for us , so I will take that . Onwards and upwards , I say , bring on the Baggies for a further 3 pointer .
Even if I don't like the indecisive , dithering , dinosaur , bug eyed , ginger , pipe smoking , scotch drinking , haggis eating , tartan wearing excuse for a manager .
Out of interest which tactical genius would you like to manage the mighty Hammers ?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 am
Clayton wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:38 am A win against Burnley is no mean feat for us , so I will take that . Onwards and upwards , I say , bring on the Baggies for a further 3 pointer .
Out of interest which tactical genius would you like to manage the mighty Hammers ?
I wouldn’t be as polite as Clay when it comes to describing Moyes.

But then I can’t answer your question either :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

I really cannot answer that buddy , in reality with the owners we have who knows , just like the strikers we have had while they have had the reins , a scatter ball approach , lucky dip and pot luck describes their ambition .
But at the moment Moysie is doing about as good as it can get , with what he has to work with , doubt anyone could have done a better job with the skills he has available .
Moyes has got us playing as a team that can grind out results , he has made us resilient , defensively sound and the players a dam sight fitter , now he just has to be able to build the team he wants , so will need the backing of the owners to do that , but the current financial climate really doesn't help us according to the spiel coming out of the club .
All this doesn't mean I have to like his insincere smug annoying face though .

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Clayton wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 am
I really cannot answer that buddy , in reality with the owners we have who knows , just like the strikers we have had while they have had the reins , a scatter ball approach , lucky dip and pot luck describes their ambition .
But at the moment Moysie is doing about as good as it can get , with what he has to work with , doubt anyone could have done a better job with the skills he has available .
Moyes has got us playing as a team that can grind out results , he has made us resilient , defensively sound and the players a dam sight fitter , now he just has to be able to build the team he wants , so will need the backing of the owners to do that , but the current financial climate really doesn't help us according to the spiel coming out of the club .
Very true mate ,I too am baffled at times by him regarding team selection and subs however we can’t argue he is doing something’s right .
Until we get proper financial backing we can hover around mid table with Moyes.
As for his smug mooey it isn’t as ifyou’ll have to marry or fuck the geezer so just look away or switch off when faced with the gargoyle.
I also have the feeling he’s entitled to feel a little smug at the moment.

Up the Hammers.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 am
Clayton wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 am

Very true mate ,I too am baffled at times by him regarding team selection and subs however we can’t argue he is doing something’s right .
His selections/tactics have baffled me at times ( especially when using Haller ) , and the timing of his subs and the subs made .
Can't argue he is doing something right , just looks like much of it is down to hard work , organisation and luck at times .
Don't get me wrong winning is what it is all about I suppose and not fighting relegation , but I just don't want us to be a team grinding out results , with a bulldozing striker up front with two left feet and sitting in mid table . Maybe time will see Moyes and his team ameliorate , to bring in some freedom , creativity and technique into the starting eleven .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:28 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 am

His selections/tactics have baffled me at times ( especially when using Haller ) , and the timing of his subs and the subs made .
Can't argue he is doing something right , just looks like much of it is down to hard work , organisation and luck at times .
Don't get me wrong winning is what it is all about I suppose and not fighting relegation , but I just don't want us to be a team grinding out results , with a bulldozing striker up front with two left feet and sitting in mid table . Maybe time will see Moyes and his team ameliorate , to bring in some freedom , creativity and technique into the starting eleven .
Problem is players with genuine quality, particularly strikers, cost considerably more money than we, apparently, have in our transfer budget. What makes matters worse is that home grown players are even more expensive. How can we forget that Burnley wanted £30 million plus for Tarkowski. Which imo is quite laughable. In fact almost as laughable as Tarkowski himself saying he wanted to play in the Champions League.

No doubt there are decent players hidden away in obscure leagues throughout Europe. Coufal and Soucek are proof of that. But I'm not too sure our scouting network extends beyond Willie McKay's telephone number book.

Tbh I don't think we should have "ground out a result yesterday". We created enough chances to comfortably win instead of having to hang on. And let's face it that's not the first time it's happened but fortunately our defence is as reliable as I can recall any West Ham defence being. Although I would like to see better game management---The opposition can't hurt you if you keep possession guys---which would stop the nerves jangling a bit during the last 10/15 minutes or so.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

eskimo joe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:51 am Should rename the site The Victor Meldrew chat.
It’s fucking depressing, isn’t it?!

goodpost:)