Coronavirus

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider

Re: Coronavirus

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:28 am
palerider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am
In Bradford, that would be down to a shortage of Urdu speakers.
A sad indictment in to just how poorly a run country we are imho. Surely we can extend our school day by an hour or two in order that our youngsters can become fluent in Urdu. I've recently taken up Nepalese should we have a sudden influx of our colonial bredren.
Indeed my learned friend.

I'm attending Pashto classes just so I can welcome the ten thousand Afghans who've bravely made it to Blighty in small boats.

If only the government would have the decency to do the same. It's so hard to explain directions to the benefit offices to the poor souls in English.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am The Department of Health and Social Care reported that the Test-n-trace program is only contacting 58% of people who test positive. In Bradford one of the worst hit areas that figure was 50%.

Obviously those people who were contacted were all asked to self isolate. It is unknown what percentage did actually comply. We can probably allow for 10% disobedience as people who think they are superior to others, tend to feel that rules they don't like, don't apply to them.

SAGE have said that 80% of an infected person’s close contacts must be contacted and told to self-isolate within 48 to 72 hours for the national programme to be effective.

Clearly we can all applaud the great efforts being made here while acknowledging that the clapping doesn't really mean much. A bit like giving the NHS a standing-ovation each week and then denying their workers (those still alive) a pay rise in November.

It's all a bit unfortunate really and that 22 Billion investment has not been misspent. You have indeed purchased world-class experience and that is handy for the next time.

That explains it. When I had a test at the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital (Isleworth) I might have ticked the Urdu box instead of English under the languages section - it's no wonder they never contacted me

And let's face it, that's an easy thing to do when your wearing a mask and can't see...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am The Department of Health and Social Care reported that the Test-n-trace program is only contacting 58% of people who test positive. In Bradford one of the worst hit areas that figure was 50%.

Obviously those people who were contacted were all asked to self isolate. It is unknown what percentage did actually comply. We can probably allow for 10% disobedience as people who think they are superior to others, tend to feel that rules they don't like, don't apply to them.

SAGE have said that 80% of an infected person’s close contacts must be contacted and told to self-isolate within 48 to 72 hours for the national programme to be effective.

Clearly we can all applaud the great efforts being made here while acknowledging that the clapping doesn't really mean much. A bit like giving the NHS a standing-ovation each week and then denying their workers (those still alive) a pay rise in November.

It's all a bit unfortunate really and that 22 Billion investment has not been misspent. You have indeed purchased world-class experience and that is handy for the next time.

Urdu speakers might be OK but I prefer Bose or Bang & Olufson myself.

I'll close the door on my way out.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:32 pm
Urdu speakers might be OK but I prefer Bose or Bang & Olufson myself.

I'll close the door on my way out.
Bang & Olufson..Now you taking me back..Them and Bose,brilliant makes.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Highly ironic that the large majority of doubters for the U.K COVID-19 vaccine are journalists and scientists based in the U.S where Pfizer, the world’s largest pharmaceutical company not known for its ethical practices I’m sure would like to influence the global market for the vaccine.

This is the same firm who initially announced 90% efficacy but then somehow “found” another 5% just 24 hours after rival Moderna announced 94.5% efficacy.
It did wonders for their share prices of course.

https://time.com/5915804/astra-zeneca-e ... ronavirus/
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

ToneLoc wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:59 am Highly ironic that the large majority of doubters for the U.K COVID-19 vaccine are journalists and scientists based in the U.S where Pfizer, the world’s largest pharmaceutical company not known for its ethical practices I’m sure would like to influence the global market for the vaccine.

This is the same firm who initially announced 90% efficacy but then somehow “found” another 5% just 24 hours after rival Moderna announced 94.5% efficacy.
It did wonders for their share prices of course.

https://time.com/5915804/astra-zeneca-e ... ronavirus/
And the Russian Sputnik V vaccine (manufactured in India) has 95% efficacy and is cheaper than the US product.

Meanwhile the UK trac-n-trace Moonshot detection program only manages to contact 1 person in 4 who have tested positive. The PM commenting on the
program “Our test-and-trace system is as good as, or better than, any other system anywhere in the world,”

One reason for the difficulty is trac-n-trace call centres employ large numbers of students and school-leavers on minimum wage who receive just a few hours of training. “It’s an absolute shitshow,” an insider commented.

Whether 25% accuracy will be sufficient to drive transmission totals down during the return to the tier system will be something that is discovered later.
And in any case the soon to be implemented national vaccination program will make much of what has preceded it irrelevant and old hat.

Something the PM will be quick to remind everybody during January and February.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

MK.. Level 1 before lockdown...behave ourselves during it...what cases we do have dropping a fair bit...
Now we're level fuckin 2.....thanks for that Hancock...Tories out........ :lol:

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

mkhammer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:41 pm MK.. Level 1 before lockdown...behave ourselves during it...what cases we do have dropping a fair bit...
Very good. And Kent being placed into Tier 3 was perhaps not such a surprise - as that famous county will be spearheading the "Festival of Brexit" in January and I suppose it was decided that they might as well get prepared early...

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:16 pm
mkhammer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:41 pm MK.. Level 1 before lockdown...behave ourselves during it...what cases we do have dropping a fair bit...
Very good. And Kent being placed into Tier 3 was perhaps not such a surprise - as that famous county will be spearheading the "Festival of Brexit" in January and I suppose it was decided that they might as well get prepared early...
Evidently ...Men of Kent are in Level 2...Kentishman is in Level 3...that'd fuck em up.....

Be Plenty of job vacancies there... Operating the Giant Lorry Parks........ :lol:

Noni

Post by Noni »

Thought you might like this .
Attachments
20201128_115533.jpg
20201128_115533.jpg (425.25 KiB) Viewed 1272 times