West Ham vs Manchester City Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: West Ham vs Manchester City Official Match Thread

Post by JayK »

palerider wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:43 pm
JayK wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:09 pm

Maybe he's lining Benny up for this role?
Different type of player Jay.

Moyes will have to discover a new formation and method without Antonio. Tbh, including the 9 games since lockdown last season, I'm surprised he's lasted this long given the problems he has with his hamstring.
O know we m as the but both times as our manager he's not used an out and out striker as a striker so I wouldn't be surprised if he tried him in that role
COYI!!!

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

sorry if I have missed it on the thread

but was I the only one that could not believe VAR didn't give us that penalty
2 nil up would have made a lot of difference

happy with the point but FFS still one rule for the big boys, if that happened in our box nailed on pen

still a happy hammer tho

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Not surprised tbh. It was one of those that could have been given but, for me, not nailed on. Think if it had been given VAR would still have backed up the onfield refs decision as it wasn't in the "clear and obvious" category. Putting it another way it's one of those we moan about if we don't get it but, trust me, if it had been given against us there would have been complaints too.

Far less obvious imo than the one Maguire should have been called up for in the Man United v Chelsea borefest.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

that's where im going wrong

thought VAR was to catch the mistakes made by the ref like I didn't see it or I had money on the other team type thing
all it seems to do is confirm that your offside by a gnats chuff piece

I know I know just my view on this crap :D

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dagger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 pm that's where im going wrong

thought VAR was to catch the mistakes made by the ref like I didn't see it or I had money on the other team type thing
all it seems to do is confirm that your offside by a gnats chuff piece

I know I know just my view on this crap :D
You're not wrong. I'm certain I didn't imagine it but the original idea was to correct what were called clear and obvious errors. But what we're seeing now are decisions which cancel out goals because the forward wears a boot one size bigger than the bloke marking him.

Don't know if anyone watched the Man U v Chelsea borefesr but when Maguire got hold of Azpilicueta round the neck the bloke watching the monitor must have nodded off. A more blatant penalty you couldn't wish to see. Mind you the bloke on the VAR was Stuart Attwell, and if memory serves he was the useless cocksucker who awarded this goal some years ago.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Clayton wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:22 pm
Flairon wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:59 am

Apparently Moyes said Antonio was withdrawn due to a tightness in his hamstring. The concern is that this was the second game in a row that he has felt it.
Surely Moyes should have realised at some point just maybe this would happen with Antonio , especially if he had looked at Antonio's injury history . Moyes decided at some point with is limited ability that Antonio could be his new ( old ) Arnie , take him away and we are toothless ( surprisingly ) , what I still do not understand is why we did not designate this position a priority in the transfer window .
Agreed
Flairon

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Can't deny there is a footballer in Haller ( even one technically better then Antonio ) , Moyes needs to find a system that works to our advantage on the pitch with Haller playing .The problem is I really do not think he is capable , I just think Moyes has become one dimensional or lacks the confidence in his approach to play a CF in the style of Haller . When Moyes was here the first time in 2017 he eventually found a system that worked for us and that was playing a back 3 with Cresswell playing as a CB , Masuaku as a LWB and by using either a combination of Antonio - Arnautovic - Lanzini or Mario in a attacking system up front . Nothing he tried using Carroll up front that season worked so I really do not hold out much hope he can find a way to fit Haller .
I really hope though that Moyes can prove me wrong 🙏.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

I would suggest Haller is a much better option than Carroll was to play the system/s he tried previously.

The issue is always how long will it take to click and how long will he persevere if it doesn't get results quickly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

hd1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:30 pm I would suggest Haller is a much better option than Carroll was to play the system/s he tried previously.

The issue is always how long will it take to click and how long will he persevere if it doesn't get results quickly?
Bloody Helmut Haller, the German bloke who score in the 1966 world cup final would be a better option than that lanky streak of piss mate,. ;)

Even though he's been dead a few years.

Problem is that our Haller has apparently never played as a lone striker. At Frankfurt he partnered Jovic who was the central striker. No coincidence that Haller, imo, looked much more effective when he played alongside Antonio on a couple of occasions last season.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:20 pm
hd1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:30 pm I would suggest Haller is a much better option than Carroll was to play the system/s he tried previously.

Bloody Helmut Haller, the German bloke who score in the 1966 world cup final would be a better option than that lanky streak of piss mate,. ;)

Even though he's been dead a few years.

Problem is that our Haller has apparently never played as a lone striker. At Frankfurt he partnered Jovic who was the central striker. No coincidence that Haller, imo, looked much more effective when he played alongside Antonio on a couple of occasions last season.
and Jovic was available on loan this last window
COYI!!!