Antonio sign new 4 year contract

Chat about anything football related here!
mkhammer

Re: Antonio sign new 4 year contract

Post by mkhammer »

Love Micky to bits..always have...but he'll only play 65% of pitch time for us,and sorry to say,he won't be firing
when he's 33/34 like he does now...so a bit iffy for me that one...

But if he gets a nice big fat one till 2024/25 good luck to him....all TV money....Bleed it,while you can..I would...

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Two years at most with an option for an extra year should suffice.
Enough rickety cunts here on good wedge as it is.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Can't deny Antonio does a job for us up front in Moyes system , but the guy will be 31 next March and doesn't have the best of injury records , I could understand a 1 year contract with a option to extent for another , but 4 years to me is just ridiculous . Especially when many a fan wanted Antonio sold not that long ago including myself , have we learnt nothing from having the likes of Reid , Carroll and Wilshere in the squad . Who will be next Fredericks who also appears to be injury prone , and still hasn't proved he is even a good enough RB/RWB in his 3rd season with us .

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Beautiful person, love this man. My favorite player by a long shot - not saying the best, but I would take him with his committal and mentality over any moody show pony any day.

IMO he has earned a new deal and he should be rewarded. He kept us up last season, his form is undeniable and I think his quality has improved. Some of the goals he has scored have required a lot of skill which he is not credited for enough.

4 years is too much, but I would give him 2 with options for more depending on appearances. It would be shocking management if we let him go to Palace or somewhere.

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

something along BC suggestion

4 year contract but the last 2 years reduces on appearances due to injury type thing if that could be done

can see him being a good bench player for the last 20 mins of any game for the last two seasons of his contract

as said would be a shame to lose him to anyone around us

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dagger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:12 pm something along BC suggestion

4 year contract but the last 2 years reduces on appearances due to injury type thing if that could be done

can see him being a good bench player for the last 20 mins of any game for the last two seasons of his contract

He seems to have found a role that suits him, and credit for this has to be given to Moyes and his staff,same as for a similar switch with Arnautovic.

Tbh the pre lockdown Antonio was one of my least favourite players. Someone on here once called him a dog chasing a balloon. A player who put in a lot of effort but didn't use the old grey matter much. And not at all when playing at Selhurst Park. :lol: But since switching him to his new role he has become a focal point for the team, just as Arnautovic was. His strength and physique have always been his strong points imo and the central role utilises those to maximum effect. And he's also an instinctive player who seems better when he doesn't have to think about what to do next, and having less time as a central player he is making instant decisions with good effect.

And unlike Arnautovic he seems to be a bloke who is good for team spirit if the stories about his are to be believed. Hopefully he'll be fit to test himself against Liverpool without van Dyke because he'll be a massive miss on his current form if he's not available.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:05 pm
Dagger wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:12 pm something along BC suggestion

He seems to have found a role that suits him, and credit for this has to be given to Moyes and his staff,same as for a similar switch with Arnautovic.

Tbh the pre lockdown Antonio was one of my least favourite players. Someone on here once called him a dog chasing a balloon. A player who put in a lot of effort but didn't use the old grey matter much. And not at all when playing at Selhurst Park. :lol: But since switching him to his new role he has become a focal point for the team, just as Arnautovic was. His strength and physique have always been his strong points imo and the central role utilises those to maximum effect. And he's also an instinctive player who seems better when he doesn't have to think about what to do next, and having less time as a central player he is making instant decisions with good effect.

And unlike Arnautovic he seems to be a bloke who is good for team spirit if the stories about his are to be believed. Hopefully he'll be fit to test himself against Liverpool without van Dyke because he'll be a massive miss on his current form if he's not available.
Doesn't look like it !

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Think bug eyes will rest Antonio against the victims
Haller up front and Benny on the bench.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Didn't realise he was that old. Anyone in that age bracket would bite your arm off for a 4 year deal with a premier league team. But good on him. He's one of our best perfomers and deserved looking after. But again , 4 years?
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Alternative view to the the "4 years is too long"

You have a player who is going to walk away for free in 7 months

He wants a 5 year deal (Source EX)

You offer him 2 years at say £90k pw. He says no thanks - its my last contract I want 5 years. 2 years and I will walk and earn 50% more elsewhere over a shorter deal with a fat signing on fee added in.

So you compromise on 4 years and total contract value is £18million. Player happy, team happy, manager happy. Might have some residual value in 2 or 3 years for a sale. Realistically you are guaranteeing him a decent pay day - just in instalments!

OR

He walks away for free. You pay a new striker the same money. Lets call him Haller Jnr. He costs £40m as a fee and £90k per week wages. It probably saves £20m in the medium term.

That's why 4 years makes sense in this case.