Josh Cullen

Chat about anything football related here!
Olas1

Josh Cullen

Post by Olas1 »

Whilst I don’t expect a similar backlash to the sale of Diangana, I don’t see why we sold Cullen. We have lost cover in central midfield and have not bought a replacement. Ironically the fee received from Anderlecht covers Wilsheres pay out!??
Cullen was a fan favourite at Bradford City and Charlton during his loan spells there, and impressed enough to earn international call ups for Republic of Ireland.
In his recent cup game v Charlton he impressed, and whilst one game doesn’t maketh a player did enough so suggest he could be player worth keeping. In particular his age and his wages were a no brainer!
Clearly the coaching staff don’t believe he can cut it at a top level and for those of you old enough to remember I liken him to another ex West Ham player, Matt Holland who forged a successful career elsewhere and also made over 49 appearances for Rep of Ireland!
I wish Cullen all the best at his new club, I think this one will come back to bite us... yet Moyes knows better...

BlackDiamond

Re: Josh Cullen

Post by BlackDiamond »

Olas1 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:28 am Whilst I don’t expect a similar backlash to the sale of Diangana, I don’t see why we sold Cullen. We have lost cover in central midfield and have not bought a replacement. Ironically the fee received from Anderlecht covers Wilsheres pay out!??
Cullen was a fan favourite at Bradford City and Charlton during his loan spells there, and impressed enough to earn international call ups for Republic of Ireland.
In his recent cup game v Charlton he impressed, and whilst one game doesn’t maketh a player did enough so suggest he could be player worth keeping. In particular his age and his wages were a no brainer!
Clearly the coaching staff don’t believe he can cut it at a top level and for those of you old enough to remember I liken him to another ex West Ham player, Matt Holland who forged a successful career elsewhere and also made over 49 appearances for Rep of Ireland!
I wish Cullen all the best at his new club, I think this one will come back to bite us... yet Moyes knows better...
The fee from Anderlect is 800k (with possible additions) whereas JWs contract termination was 80% which is £3.75M

So even when the club offload a useless employee and earn money from a sale of a fringe player, they still manage to make a 400% loss on the deals.

It takes a special type of talent to do that and you can tell our owner is completely self taught...

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 am
Olas1 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:28 am Whilst I don’t expect a similar backlash to the sale of Diangana, I don’t see why we sold Cullen. We have lost cover in central midfield and have not bought a replacement. Ironically the fee received from Anderlecht covers Wilsheres pay out!??
The fee from Anderlect is 800k (with possible additions) whereas JWs contract termination was 80% which is £3.75M

So even when the club offload a useless employee and earn money from a sale of a fringe player, they still manage to make a 400% loss on the deals.

It takes a special type of talent to do that and you can tell our owner is completely self taught...
did read some place that Cullen wanted first team footie and could not get it at the Hammers ( not sure why as he should walk into our shit team at the moment :lol: )

if that's the case I think the club has done the correct thing letting him go and get first team footie and at 24 he should have made the grade TBH

but hang them if they do the correct thing and hang them if they dont win win

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

Dagger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:07 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 am

did read some place that Cullen wanted first team footie and could not get it at the Hammers ( not sure why as he should walk into our shit team at the moment :lol: )

if that's the case I think the club has done the correct thing letting him go and get first team footie and at 24 he should have made the grade TBH

Walk in to a shit team that beat woves 4-0 and leicester 3-0?

We lack cover in DM sure but at 24 Cullens time is surely up, havent we got someone named coventry who is a similar player but younger?

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

Thomas mate it was me being sarcastic mate

he would not even get on the bench, we have a bench that most in the bottom half would love
Moyes just needs to get them up for when they get a chance, but players should be doing that themselves FFS money they get paid

all the best Dagger

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

thomasswe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:11 am
Dagger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:07 am

We lack cover in DM sure but at 24 Cullens time is surely up, havent we got someone named coventry who is a similar player but younger?
Thomas , yes we do have Coventry the U23 captain , but alas it appears Moyes does not fancy him overwise he would have played him in the Everton match . Though if Soucek or Rice get a injury he may get a chance but just remember we still have Noble and Snodgrass waiting to make a impact :lol: :lol: :lol: .

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

Clayton wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:20 am
thomasswe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:11 am

Thomas , yes we do have Coventry the U23 captain , but alas it appears Moyes does not fancy him overwise he would have played him in the Everton match . Though if Soucek or Rice get a injury he may get a chance but just remember we still have Noble and Snodgrass waiting to make a impact :lol: :lol: :lol: .
I can see Snodgrass still having an impact. Just not at DCM.. but have him as cover in Fornals position and im sure he'd chip in with assists and goals.

Noble? I don't know. I see him more as a squad leader rather than player at this point.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

thomasswe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:40 am
Clayton wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:20 am

I can see Snodgrass still having an impact. Just not at DCM.. but have him as cover in Fornals position and im sure he'd chip in with assists and goals.

Noble? I don't know. I see him more as a squad leader rather than player at this point.
Well let's hope Fornal's never gets an injury if you think Snodgrass is capable of doing what Fornal's does in matches . I would sooner use Masuaku further forward and put Johnson at LWB .
Last edited by Clayton on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

You're right about cover and not replacing a squad player but tbh I will be absolutely gobsmacked if Cullen carves out a career at the top level. He's 24 and players of that age have usually made some sort of impact if they are going to play at the highest level.

That said he's gone to one of the leading clubs in Belgium where he'll probably get the chance of playing in the Europa League which will put him in the shop window so to speak. Good luck to him but I doubt we'll ever see him playing in the PL.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

I can understand Moyes letting him leave , obviously he doesn't rate him , otherwise I am pretty sure Moye's would have used him in the Cup match against Everton . And Moyes must think he has sufficient cover in the squad 😕😕😕 otherwise he still wouldn't be after a CB in the transfer window .
Personally I liked what I saw of the lad a couple of seasons ago but he just hasn't progressed enough in my eyes to make it at this level , but I still think he could have done a job for us coming off the bench , especially as we have not brought in any cover for our midfield .