Man United vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Man United vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:54 am
garnett wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:25 am All joking aside they will mean business Wednesday, they need the win and as many goals as possible to snatch 4th from Leicester who will be entertaining them Sunday.
That is very true. Their goal difference and Leicester's are identical but United are behind on goals scored. So if they beat us by, say a 3 or 4 goal margin it means they could actually lose by a single goal against Leicester but still pip them to the last PL place. I think they'll probably beat Leicester but they won't want to take any chances.

So we won't get any favours. And Solskjaer must have the raving hump after the way they were taken apart by Chelsea yesterday.
United aren't great at the back,but can be lethal coming forward.Even though,they lost yesterday,they are the form team in the PL since the restart.

I want us to put on a decent show just to see that progress is being made.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:03 am
garnett wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:25 am All joking aside they will mean business Wednesday, they need the win and as many goals as possible to snatch 4th from Leicester who will be entertaining them Sunday.
Watford aside, and who knows how they'll play on Tuesday (or City for that matter), these are the stats.

West Ham 6 points and 14 goals clear on goal difference.

Arsenal have a cup final to look forward to and jack shit in the league. Villa struggle to score goals but a 1 goal win wouldn't be a stupid thought.

So by Wednesday that's 13 goals clear. With United needing goals. And they play at Leicester last match. A 3 goal drubbing again wouldn't be a stupid thought with the reds easing up by the end as with points in the bag they'll need to take off key players in preparation.

So that's then 10 goals clear.

Villa would need to win by 5.
I'm not suggesting we will somehow snatch disaster from the jaws of triumph. Well, relative triumph if we regard staying up as success. But it has been suggested by a few that Man United will have other priorities. Financially they simply MUST be in the Champions League. So there's no chance of them taking their foot of the gas imo.

In fact I might even venture to suggest Solskjaer took the "fuck the cup" view when he rested Pogba, Martial and Greenwood yesterday, with a view to keeping them fresh for Wednesday. Although he did bring them on when the wheels fell off of course.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 am
palerider wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:03 am

Watford aside, and who knows how they'll play on Tuesday (or City for that matter), these are the stats.

West Ham 6 points and 14 goals clear on goal difference.

Arsenal have a cup final to look forward to and jack shit in the league. Villa struggle to score goals but a 1 goal win wouldn't be a stupid thought.

So by Wednesday that's 13 goals clear. With United needing goals. And they play at Leicester last match. A 3 goal drubbing again wouldn't be a stupid thought with the reds easing up by the end as with points in the bag they'll need to take off key players in preparation.

So that's then 10 goals clear.

Villa would need to win by 5.
I'm not suggesting we will somehow snatch disaster from the jaws of triumph. Well, relative triumph if we regard staying up as success. But it has been suggested by a few that Man United will have other priorities. Financially they simply MUST be in the Champions League. So there's no chance of them taking their foot of the gas imo.

In fact I might even venture to suggest Solskjaer took the "fuck the cup" view when he rested Pogba, Martial and Greenwood yesterday, with a view to keeping them fresh for Wednesday. Although he did bring them on when the wheels fell off of course.
Yep. You're right about them desperate for the CL.

They need goals and it will be backs to the wall, but I still maintain they can't risk their big players when it comes to the last match.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

I hope the Norwegian Smeagol picks De Gea.
Assuming the Scottish Smeagol selects Antonio..... Antonio will be licking his lips ;-)

I just hope the players don’t do an Everton and leave half of themselves on the beach.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

I think our lads are enjoying their football at the mo & don't think Moyes will have any let-up going back to Old Trafford. Our attacking threat right now, ensures us not to rack up a huge goal diff against anyone and our back 4 have been playing better. Believe me the thought of Greenwood running at Cresswell scares the shit outta me, likewise the young Johnson marshaling Rashford or Martial! Still hopefully Bowen & Fornals can help out and Diop & Ogbog are on their game at the back. COYI
#fuckqatar2022

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Impossible to predict

Utd will be hurting after the cup exit and a win will take them 3rd, so they should be really up for it, form has been decent and that Bruno looks like a Utd player of old.

They like a good pen and our defenders like giving away pens.

We have looked good, but against crap teams and this will be a much tougher challenge. But they are beatable. Antonio vs slabhead should be good

I think we'll score at least one, so will they.

De Gea is looking dodgy, he will probably find the form of his life again.

Other than that, it could be 3-1 either way, a score draw or anything in between.

Unchanged team for me.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

ToneLoc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 pm I hope the Norwegian Smeagol picks De Gea.
Assuming the Scottish Smeagol selects Antonio..... Antonio will be licking his lips ;-)

I just hope the players don’t do an Everton and leave half of themselves on the beach.
It is amazing that deGea who tbh I thought was one of the top 10 keepers in world football has gone backwards.

Until you realise his form loss has coincided with the arrival of one Harold Maguire to play at the heart of United's defence. Then it all starts making sense. ;)

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:49 pm
ToneLoc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 pm I hope the Norwegian Smeagol picks De Gea.

It is amazing that deGea who tbh I thought was one of the top 10 keepers in world football has gone backwards.

Until you realise his form loss has coincided with the arrival of one Harold Maguire to play at the heart of United's defence. Then it all starts making sense. ;)
His form loss began in Russia when Ronaldo's tame shot for Portugal started the cycle of avoidable mistakes two years ago. And he has never looked back or forward since

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

2-2. Simple.
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:49 pm

His form loss began in Russia when Ronaldo's tame shot for Portugal started the cycle of avoidable mistakes two years ago. And he has never looked back or forward since
I think his loss of form , and possibly confidence, has been more noticeable this season. In the past his mistakes have usually been in the "bloody hell you don't often see that" category but this season they have been happening with some regularity. It may be a complete coincidence but whenever I've seen Man United play I find myself asking why on earth they decided to buy Maguire. Imo he is possibly the most overrated central defender playing in the PL. Since the restart alone he has been in part, or wholly, at fault with goals for Spurs, Norwich, Bournemouth, Southampton and Chelsea. Not to mention the chances he's had, and missed, at the other end. That's 5 goals for the opposition he's been involved with. And they've only conceded 9 in the same batch of games.