Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
tassiehammer

Re: If we stay up what changes would you make to the squad?

Post by tassiehammer »

Riceascaptain wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:22 pm I've changed my mind about Yarmolenko! KEEP
Thats good because next season you'll probably have to change your username :)
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

tassiehammer wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:16 am
Riceascaptain wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:22 pm I've changed my mind about Yarmolenko! KEEP
Thats good because next season you'll probably have to change your username :)
I wont change it after he has been appointed our permantent captain and been told the side will be built around him, why should I? ;)

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

I would prioritize both keeping and bringing in players that posses, speed, speed of though and a deft first touch. It's what most of our squad lacks but if you interject some of those traits, I believe it will benefit players like, Lanzini, Fornals, Bowen, Haller and Rice.

Fullbacks need overhauling, Fredericks & Cresswell are squad players and not starters. I would love it if the Monteil rumours are true and there must be a LB in the championship better than Cresswell! Diop is still learning, but will evolve and hopefully cut out the brain farts. Oggy is in the running for HOTY, if Cardoso isn't ready to step up, then we need more depth than just Balbuena. With competent fbs our defense will be better.

We'd be foolish to sell Rice now in a depressed market and given his age would hope we get another year out of him. Should sign Soucek and look to the championship or relegated teams (working with the premise we aint one of them!) to add depth to holding mid beyond Noble. If we could sell Anderson, Yarma, Snoddy, Fredericks, Masuaku, Cresswell, I would use funds to grab a decent backup goalscorer, Ollie Watkins if Brentford don't make it to the Prem would be a perfect fit and could play alongside Haller too.
#fuckqatar2022

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Hammertime wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 pm I would prioritize both keeping and bringing in players that posses, speed, speed of though and a deft first touch. It's what most of our squad lacks but if you interject some of those traits, I believe it will benefit players like, Lanzini, Fornals, Bowen, Haller and Rice.

Fullbacks need overhauling, Fredericks & Cresswell are squad players and not starters. I would love it if the Monteil rumours are true and there must be a LB in the championship better than Cresswell! Diop is still learning, but will evolve and hopefully cut out the brain farts. Oggy is in the running for HOTY, if Cardoso isn't ready to step up, then we need more depth than just Balbuena. With competent fbs our defense will be better.

We'd be foolish to sell Rice now in a depressed market and given his age would hope we get another year out of him. Should sign Soucek and look to the championship or relegated teams (working with the premise we aint one of them!) to add depth to holding mid beyond Noble. If we could sell Anderson, Yarma, Snoddy, Fredericks, Masuaku, Cresswell, I would use funds to grab a decent backup goalscorer, Ollie Watkins if Brentford don't make it to the Prem would be a perfect fit and could play alongside Haller too.
Don't disagree with your "for sale" list , apart from Yarmolenko. Not just because of last night but because if he stays fit he can be a match winner, or game saver, from the bench,. Imo he's the most intelligent front player we have on the books and could have a part to play. But it does depend on him being fit.

Shame about Anderson because on his day he can be a match winner. But unfortunately those days are becoming very few and far between and his body language suggests he'd rather be somewhere else. I wouldn't bother about a back up keeper tbh. Imo Randolph is good enough for that purpose and we're not going to get a first team ready keeper who's happy to sit on the bench and wait his chance. And what's happened to the highly rated Nathan Trott ?

Was he doing the biz at Wimbledon or is he another of the supposedly wonderful talents from the Under 23s like Holland and Coventry who can't get regular starting places for the likes of Oxford and Lincoln ? If Trott is the real deal he could be challenging Randolph for the No 2 spot.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 pm
Hammertime wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 pm I would prioritize both keeping and bringing in players that posses, speed, speed of though and a deft first touch. It's what most of our squad lacks but if you interject some of those traits, I believe it will benefit players like, Lanzini, Fornals, Bowen, Haller and Rice.

Don't disagree with your "for sale" list , apart from Yarmolenko. Not just because of last night but because if he stays fit he can be a match winner, or game saver, from the bench,. Imo he's the most intelligent front player we have on the books and could have a part to play. But it does depend on him being fit.

Shame about Anderson because on his day he can be a match winner. But unfortunately those days are becoming very few and far between and his body language suggests he'd rather be somewhere else. I wouldn't bother about a back up keeper tbh. Imo Randolph is good enough for that purpose and we're not going to get a first team ready keeper who's happy to sit on the bench and wait his chance. And what's happened to the highly rated Nathan Trott ?

Was he doing the biz at Wimbledon or is he another of the supposedly wonderful talents from the Under 23s like Holland and Coventry who can't get regular starting places for the likes of Oxford and Lincoln ? If Trott is the real deal he could be challenging Randolph for the No 2 spot.
Totally agree about Yarma, just with my desire to hold onto Rice, had to look at other players that might actually net us a decent profit. If we were to keep him and pray for an injury free season, I'd be ok with that and maybe as super sub he may avoid such an injury. Bowen wears them down, Yarma picks them off could be a good combo.

So if we don't sell him or Rice, the only other option to raise the funds needed, albeit unpopular, would be to sell Antonio. With the return of Diangana and Holland, this would allow us to hopefully sell Anderson as well and raise enough for our needs elsewhere.
#fuckqatar2022

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Full Backs are seriously important now...all the Really decent sides have World Class or very near to it ones....ours
just aren't up to what is needed now.....is why I'd look at Playing a 3....but you need to be able to swap and change,
even during a game...your FBs should be more than happy to play as wingers...as important a position now as anywhere
on the pitch......
So I'd be prioritising there.....Cress has had his go....Arthurs a winger.....Fred....not sure yet,give him the spot till end of
season...looks that way anyway...he just might be alright...Ben Johnston looks very good...but is he injury prone..

But if there was any real quality International FBs available ....even 20/30 mill I'd be looking at getting them in..
Like thats gonna happen.... :lol:

The Days of putting the fat kid at Left Back are long over .......... :lol:

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

How about raiding Southampton for their left back Bertrand?

Fabianski

Montiel - Diop - Ogbonna - Bertrand

Rice(C) - Soucek

Bowen - Fornals - Wilson

Haller

Randolph, Mings, Johnson, Douglas Luis, Diangana, Antonio, Yarmolenko, Eze, Pukki

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Riceascaptain wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:27 pm How about raiding Southampton for their left back Bertrand?

Fabianski

Montiel - Diop - Ogbonna - Bertrand

Rice(C) - Soucek

Bowen - Fornals - Wilson

Haller

Randolph, Mings, Johnson, Douglas Luis, Diangana, Antonio, Yarmolenko, Eze, Pukki
Good player, always like him, but imo not the right age profile of players we should be looking to bring in. . And even if Southampton agreed to sell would he see West Ham as an upward move ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

I googled Bertrand after what you said, he is 31 this year! Time flies, I thought he was 25 or 6.

That rules him out.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

I very much doubt that the funds will be available for the mass overhaul that we so desperately need.

Lets face it we need strength in every area of the pitch. Fabs is great, but picked up too man injuries this season. I would like to see us sign a young, talented keeper who can challenge Fabs for the starting position.

I feel we need a new right back, and at least one center half. Someone for the left wing and a box to box midfielder.

We also need 2 new strikers as far as I am concerned.
Flairon