Racial Bias in Football Commentary

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Racial Bias in Football Commentary

Post by BlackDiamond »

Yup, a study has been done and the results have been analysed and the PFA say it's not good enough and things have got to change.

Apparently four football leagues were compared and all of them suffer from this insidious racist bias and those people in authority with spare time on their hands, are looking to find things that didn't used to need changing, but do now.

It would seem that black players are more likely to be described as powerful or speed kings and generally praised for athletic ability. Whereas white players are praised for their skill level and intelligence.

Nobody has (yet) suggested that they focused on examples, that fit a certain conclusion, that if found,would create something that needed a correction. But it's lucky it did.

Perhaps commentators will have to now take a knee,and at the same time remove their foot from their mouth...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53226508

aklhammer

Re: Racial Bias in Football Commentary

Post by aklhammer »

Simple solution, just get rid of the commentators, we can get rid of the eternal scouse-noshing on there as well.
Matamata

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 am Yup, a study has been done and the results have been analysed and the PFA say it's not good enough and things have got to change.

Apparently four football leagues were compared and all of them suffer from this insidious racist bias and those people in authority with spare time on their hands, are looking to find things that didn't used to need changing, but do now.

It would seem that black players are more likely to be described as powerful or speed kings and generally praised for athletic ability. Whereas white players are praised for their skill level and intelligence.

Nobody has (yet) suggested that they focused on examples, that fit a certain conclusion, that if found,would create something that needed a correction. But it's lucky it did.

Perhaps commentators will have to now take a knee,and at the same time remove their foot from their mouth...

Haven't noticed that tbh. But there is a lot of home produced player noshing that goes on. I've noticed a great many times that English players are criticised far less than their foreign counterparts. Hardly surprising I guess when many commentators or pundits probably regard those English players as mates.

The most extreme case I can recall was the almost hysterical criticism of Guardiola when he decided he didn't want Joe Hart as his number one keeper. Words like "disrespect" were thrown about in the media. Of course we West Ham fans very soon realised why Guardiola made the decision he did, din't we? :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Hmmm black players powerful ,speed kings athletic ability obviously haven’t watched Haller or Anderson mincing around.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 am Yup, a study has been done and the results have been analysed and the PFA say it's not good enough and things have got to change.

Haven't noticed that tbh. But there is a lot of home produced player noshing that goes on. I've noticed a great many times that English players are criticised far less than their foreign counterparts. Hardly surprising I guess when many commentators or pundits probably regard those English players as mates.

The most extreme case I can recall was the almost hysterical criticism of Guardiola when he decided he didn't want Joe Hart as his number one keeper. Words like "disrespect" were thrown about in the media. Of course we West Ham fans very soon realised why Guardiola made the decision he did, din't we? :lol:
Guardiola was of the opinion that Hart couldn't shift the ball fast enough using his feet. And when your whole game is possession based that becomes an issue.

By the time Hart arrived at West Ham he had already been exposed as having a weak left hand (Wales,Iceland) so it was not surprising to see shots aimed low and hard to his left and not surprising to see him beaten by them.

He was always a confident bloke with a strong opinion. But in the end...he could talk,but no walk

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

REALLY. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Are they taking the piss?What a load of old shit!

Maybe the PFA might look into the over noshing of Raheem Sterling.The most over hyped Footballer in this country by a long way.

WHAT EVER NEXT!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 am

Guardiola was of the opinion that Hart couldn't shift the ball fast enough using his feet. And when your whole game is possession based that becomes an issue.

By the time Hart arrived at West Ham he had already been exposed as having a weak left hand (Wales,Iceland) so it was not surprising to see shots aimed low and hard to his left and not surprising to see him beaten by them.

He was always a confident bloke with a strong opinion. But in the end...he could talk,but no walk
His weakness on his left side was exposed a long time before that imo. But he got away with it a lot at City because they so often dominated games and he wasn't extended.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 am REALLY. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Are they taking the piss?What a load of old shit!

Maybe the PFA might look into the over noshing of Raheem Sterling.The most over hyped Footballer in this country by a long way.

WHAT EVER NEXT!!!
Disagree with that assessment Terry, but you've given me an idea. Here's my team of the most over rated players in the league. Apologies for the outdated formation but imo they are standouts and they fir in nicely. Although I had to resist finding a spot for Grealish.

Henderson; Walker Gomez Maguire Shaw; Maddison Winks Barkley James; Rashford Wilson

The James is the little Welsh tart at Man United and the Wilson is Calum. I would say the rest are self explanatory. Over to you. ;)

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am

His weakness on his left side was exposed a long time before that imo. But he got away with it a lot at City because they so often dominated games and he wasn't extended.
It's odd he never shifted his starting position slightly to compensate. He was often beaten by only a finger length, any way. Just seems a bit obvious but I'm no goalkeeper

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm

It's odd he never shifted his starting position slightly to compensate. He was often beaten by only a finger length, any way. Just seems a bit obvious but I'm no goalkeeper
Possibly because so many people were up his arse telling him how good he was that he believed them.