Help and requests!

All the boring stuff!!
mkhammer

Re: Help and requests!

Post by mkhammer »

Gonzo wrote:
mkhammer wrote:Hi guys.
Don't know if it's just me ,but C+H site for me is really sluggish and sticky ,difficult to scroll .
Just had to give up on it,became impossible.
Only asking cos don't have a prob with anything else,chat or any other sites.

We know mate and more importantly so does Hugh, his mobile speed on his site is very slow indeed as it has just been tested. It works well when the 4G signal is perfect but it needs an upgrade and he has someone working on it.
Thanks Gonzo,saves me mucking about my end.
There's a lot off pro's and con's,with pop up ads,plenty of sites having probs with them.

eastcoastclaret
Location: Chris Eubank has written a book about ethics. If it sells well, he'll write one about Kent too

Post by eastcoastclaret »

Mr Gonzo and Sir Red
Will the new site be able to have polls like the old site?
Just thought I would ask cos we are now all into voting......
:D
gonna need a bigger boat...my thumbs have gone weird...weleese bwian...I didn't eat the salmon mousse...nice beaver...like a glove...I have nipples Greg...the details of my life...he's not the messiah....

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer »

eastcoastclaret wrote:Mr Gonzo and Sir Red
Will the new site be able to have polls like the old site?
Just thought I would ask cos we are now all into voting......
:D
You can already mate, when doing a new thread, under the box you type there is 3 tabs, right one says 'poll creation'.....fire away!

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

mkhammer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

We know mate and more importantly so does Hugh, his mobile speed on his site is very slow indeed as it has just been tested. It works well when the 4G signal is perfect but it needs an upgrade and he has someone working on it.
Thanks Gonzo,saves me mucking about my end.
There's a lot off pro's and con's,with pop up ads,plenty of sites having probs with them.

The update was done today mate so should automatically expand to the size of your phone

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Managed to find you lot at last. Been getting "Shut down for maintenance" every time.
I know time waits for no man but why the change?
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer »

tassiehammer wrote:Managed to find you lot at last. Been getting "Shut down for maintenance" every time.
I know time waits for no man but why the change?
There was a message on the screen saying to come here!! But good to see you at last!!

And we had to move mate, gonzo was forking out ridiculous amount of money per month to run the old forum and it was really restrictive. Proboards made a fortune out of us.

Here, we own everything, costs are lowered drastically (there is still some annual costs of course)

Main reason. We wanted a mobile phone app and the main part was of course the forum, we asked proboards about doing so and got told it was against terms and conditions and we could not do this (I think it's due to some deal with tapatalk) so they forced us into moving.

hamz

Post by hamz »

nice effort guys

just wondering if we can get a plain colour scheme for the forum, the current styles are killing my eyes, i must be getting old :(

heres what i am using atm, just a few simple styles which override the current colour scheme on the posts, nothing fancy but its easiser on my eyes, would be great it we can get something similar as an option in the control panel

Code: Select all

body #page-body {
    background: #e9e9e9;
}

.post.bg1, .post.bg2 {
    border: 1px solid darkgrey;
    color:#000;
}
.post.bg2 {
    background-color: #fff ;
}
.post.bg1 {
    background-color: ghostwhite;
}

.post .postprofile {
    border-color: darkgrey;
}

.post blockquote {
    background-color: azure;
    font-size:1em;
}

.post blockquote {
    background-color: aliceblue;
    border-radius: 4px;
}

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

hamz wrote:nice effort guys

just wondering if we can get a plain colour scheme for the forum, the current styles are killing my eyes, i must be getting old :(

heres what i am using atm, just a few simple styles which override the current colour scheme on the posts, nothing fancy but its easiser on my eyes, would be great it we can get something similar as an option in the control panel

Code: Select all

body #page-body {
    background: #e9e9e9;
}

.post.bg1, .post.bg2 {
    border: 1px solid darkgrey;
}
.post.bg2 {
    background-color: #fff ;
}
.post.bg1 {
    background-color: ghostwhite;
}

.post .postprofile {
}

.post blockquote {
    background-color: azure;
    font-size:1em;
}

.post blockquote {
    background-color: aliceblue;
    border-radius: 4px;
}

Hello mate. Judging from your post I can see that you know a bit of code and probably far more tech-savvy than I am.

The forum is in phpBB and I think you are actually able to select your own preferred theme to view in. If it is not activated I'll happily take advice on how to change it for you but I'll probably not change the whole colour scheme of posts for everyone.

Cheers mate

hamz

Post by hamz »

Gonzo wrote: The forum is in phpBB and I think you are actually able to select your own preferred theme to view in. If it is not activated I'll happily take advice on how to change it for you but I'll probably not change the whole colour scheme of posts for everyone.
i can't see any option to change the theme, maybe theres no additional themes installed? or perhaps its a permissions issue where standard users don't have permission to change the theme, there should be an option in the forum administration panel, some info on install themes can be found here https://www.phpbb.com/styles/installing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

either way i have a solution for myself so im covered... not sure if its worth worrying about but it did put me off initially - the change in contrast was killing me, i guess its possible that other potential members experienced the same thing

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

hamz wrote:
Gonzo wrote: The forum is in phpBB and I think you are actually able to select your own preferred theme to view in. If it is not activated I'll happily take advice on how to change it for you but I'll probably not change the whole colour scheme of posts for everyone.
i can't see any option to change the theme, maybe theres no additional themes installed? or perhaps its a permissions issue where standard users don't have permission to change the theme, there should be an option in the forum administration panel, some info on install themes can be found here https://www.phpbb.com/styles/installing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

either way i have a solution for myself so im covered... not sure if its worth worrying about but it did put me off initially - the change in contrast was killing me, i guess its possible that other potential members experienced the same thing

I appreciate the feedback and the link mate, we are new to all this coding stuff and have relied heavily on help up to now.

The reason for the colour scheme was simply because we moved from another forum host and wanted the look and feel to be as similar as possible.

Personally I find the white background and black writing a bit featureless but I'm more than happy to upload other themes.