Rio Olympics

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
deanox

Rio Olympics

Post by deanox »

I just can't get excited about the olympics anymore.
It might be because the Americans coverage is fucking awful. They only show American athletes and have a million commercials. Then there's the obligatory sob story of the athlete who grew up with one leg shorter than the other while recovering from a terminal toe nail fungus and who's dog died while their spouse run off with the next door neighbor, which they managed to recover from and made it to the games ffs

Oh and don't get me started on professionals taking part :x
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

Noni

Re: Rio Olympics

Post by Noni »

deanox wrote: Oh and don't get me started on professionals taking part :x
I agree with you, to me when I was growing up, assumed the Olympics was a amateur sport. With the likes of Tennis and Cycling who are professionals, that has put that theory out the window..

I don't mind too much on the Olympics as it covers a vast majority of sports in two weeks. With both the Olympics and Cycling having a tarnished the reputation with drugs, I still do enjoy the event and as we are crap at the winter sports, we seem to make up very well in the summer. Over the past 12 years are success has rocketed and we seem to be at a strong 3rd or 4th place in the tables!.... Not bad!!!

But yes, both American and Canadian TV coverage is crap and very biased on their own stars. I'm fortunate to have found a site to stream live TV, mainly from UK.. I live in Canada!!.........

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Love the Olympics,watch as much as i can,especially when any Brits involved.
Funny though, that normally enjoy tennis ,golf,but as Olympic sports have no interest,would
rather watch the handball or something,might as well have bloody Formula 1 in it.

Does piss me off when they are trying to clean sport up, drugs wise ,by banning Russian athletes etc,but
still allow athletes who have been banned to compete,Gatlin,Gay,....Gatlin Twice???.
Ban the Russians but allow the Americans.
It's all or none,Simple.

Maybe have a separate games where you can use any drugs you want,Charlie,speed, fuckin everything,
be fun I'd watch it!!!!!

belfasthammer

Post by belfasthammer »

All my life I was an Olympics nut like a kid in a sweet shop with the thought of all the sport and all the glory Nowadays with the drugs and professionalism its not the same. Another dilution of the excitement of childhood Just have to wait to WHUFC lifting the Champions League to restore my faith lol

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

belfasthammer wrote:All my life I was an Olympics nut like a kid in a sweet shop with the thought of all the sport and all the glory Nowadays with the drugs and professionalism its not the same. Another dilution of the excitement of childhood Just have to wait to WHUFC lifting the Champions League to restore my faith lol
I hope they are getting on top of the drugs situation to some extent and its a shame that the IOC bottled the Russia question. The other thing that is beginning to blight the Olympics is the relentless pursuit of American TV money trying to influence getting the likes of Golf and Baseball in. Allowing pro boxers in is also an awful decison in my opinion.

belfasthammer

Post by belfasthammer »

Golfers also and the like shocking

palerider

Post by palerider »

I enjoyed 2012 as it was in our manor. Not this one though. I haven't watched any of it. The BBC have the same blanket coverage they do for Wimbledon which is shoving it down our throats as well.

I'll watch a bit when the athletics starts probably.

Noni

Post by Noni »

Swimming pools turn green? :shock:

Noni

Post by Noni »

Noni wrote:Swimming pools turn green? :shock:
I suppose it's better then Yellow!! :D

Noni

Post by Noni »

Two people, I want success is Bradley Wiggins and Mo Farrah in Rio... They deserve it!!!...