Films

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Gonzo

Films

Post by Gonzo »

I just watched 'Life' featuring Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyliwotsit and it was a very decent film albeit a well worn premise.

On the flip side for some reason me & the missus watched John Wick II (no we'd never seen the first one) and it was utter shite. Absolute bollocks, why we didn't turn it off after 5 mins I'll never know.

mkhammer

Re: Films

Post by mkhammer »

Gonzo wrote:I just watched 'Life' featuring Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyliwotsit and it was a very decent film albeit a well worn premise.

On the flip side for some reason me & the missus watched John Wick II (no we'd never seen the first one) and it was utter shite. Absolute bollocks, why we didn't turn it off after 5 mins I'll never know.
Thanks for the heads up mate was gonna watch that at some point,shan't bother now..
Just Caught up and watched The Revenant (Dicaprio out last year I think) few weeks back, thought
it was very good,the bear attack in it is amazing,just so realistic.
But it's not as good as the book,(great read by the way if you like adventure stuff)
Should have kept the Film closer to the Book would have made it even better,never understand
why they base a film on a book then completely change the story.

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

mkhammer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I just watched 'Life' featuring Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyliwotsit and it was a very decent film albeit a well worn premise.

Thanks for the heads up mate was gonna watch that at some point,shan't bother now..
Just Caught up and watched The Revenant (Dicaprio out last year I think) few weeks back, thought
But it's not as good as the book,(great read by the way if you like adventure stuff)
Should have kept the Film closer to the Book would have made it even better,never understand
How would you know if the bear attack was realistic, eh?

palerider

Post by palerider »

I get 6 free tickets to Cineworld a year as part of my bank account package.

So I went to see something deep and meaningful.

The Mummy, with Tom Cruise.

deanox

Post by deanox »

I watched John Wick II on the plane last time I flew to the UK, utter bollocks, Spoiler alert I think he must of killed approx. 130 people, I don't think it will be nominated for any Oscars this year.

Couple of films which I thought were ok was:
Split. James McAvoy was pretty good as a nutcase with over 20 personalties.
silence this one is a bit long and pretty depressing but shows how catholic missionaries were treated by the Japs in the 14th Century. Not many laughs but worth a watch on a rainy day.
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Taansend wrote:
mkhammer wrote:
How would you know if the bear attack was realistic, eh?
Always chasing the bloody things outta me garden T,pissing me off...

I blame May ,her cut backs on Bear Patrols round here.. :lol:

Noni

Post by Noni »

Watched the new Kong movie. Not much to right home about. Plenty of action and special effects. 5/10

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Split was alright, better than I thought it was gonna be and Kong was alright for a laugh, John C. Reilly saves it imo. The Great Wall's worth a watch as long as you aren't expecting an intelligent dialogue or a fantastically strong story line but like monsters eating stuff.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

mkhammer wrote:

I think it's just practicalities mate, a lot needs to be chopped off when converting a 600 page book into a 2 hour film. That's why box sets are so good, they are not tied by the same time constraints.

Peter Jackson had the right idea with Lord of the Rings. He basically made the films as long as they needed to be and simply the three books were given over 4 hours each.

It's all the small detail and character build up a that films just don't have the time to do. I remember reading Crimson Tide some time ago ago and it was so full of drama and suspense. The author would make you wait a couple of chapters before revealing what you as a reader wanted to know.

They had a good crack with the film too and hired Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman for the leads so they weren't fucking and. Both were fine actors and did a good job but 2 hours was not enough to create the necessary drama.

Now crimson tide the series would have meant waiting until next week to see if the nuclear sub was about to start WW3

Avit

Post by Avit »

palerider wrote:I get 6 free tickets to Cineworld a year as part of my bank account package.

So I went to see something deep and meaningful.

The Mummy, with Tom Cruise.
You went to the pictures with Tom Cruise?

Respect...