Dylann Roof

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Taansend

Dylann Roof

Post by Taansend »

The bowl headed Redneck that went to a bible meeting in a black church in Charleston last year and slaughtered nine people, in the hope of starting a race war, has won the right to defend himself at the upcoming trial.

What the fuck is his defence going to be?

onethirtyeight

Re: Dylann Roof

Post by onethirtyeight »

He knows he's fucked. No lawyer could get him off. This will give him a platform to air his bile to a listening world, before South Carolina law sees him sent to death. To some he will be a a martyr.

EDIT: In other words, he won't have a defence. He'll just spout racist shite in the hopes of starting the war he is so keen on.

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

onethirtyeight wrote:He knows he's fucked. No lawyer could get him off. This will give him a platform to air his bile to a listening world, before South Carolina law sees him sent to death. To some he will be a a martyr.

EDIT: In other words, he won't have a defence. He'll just spout racist shite in the hopes of starting the war he is so keen on.
Maybe, but a lawyer might well have got him off the death sentence.

I lived just outside of Charleston in the summer on 98 & it was bizarre to me to see blacks & whites living side by side without acknowledging the existence of each other.

Except for when the local black church got fire-bombed.

I'm doing a half only 120 miles from there in February. I might pop into town to see how it's changed.

onethirtyeight

Post by onethirtyeight »

I don't think he wants to escape the death sentence. Presumably if you undertake something like that, you are prepared to die in the process. To my mind, he sees this as achieving some form of legend status. Of course, I have no basis for this other than opinion, but the very fact he is still alive means he got away with it to an extent I reckon.

My sister lived in Durham NC for a few years from 2000. We took a family trip down to Charleston one Halloween, which I found to be a really lovely place. That said, the only interaction I had was with my own family and people in shops/restaurants, so wouldn't even pretend to understand the place. But I know in North Carolina that my sister said there was a huge race divide, which she found to be odd. We didn't exactly come from a hugely multicultural background (Irish, Catholic schools), so she had never experienced anything like that before. They live in Connecticut now, but also have two adopted kids who are both black. She reckons race is a much bigger issue over there than people are willing to acknowledge.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Death sentence is probably the easy way out. I can't imagine he'd last long in a prison out of solitary
COYI!!!

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

JayK wrote:Death sentence is probably the easy way out. I can't imagine he'd last long in a prison out of solitary
He's already been attacked once.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Taansend wrote:
JayK wrote:Death sentence is probably the easy way out. I can't imagine he'd last long in a prison out of solitary
He's already been attacked once.
Not the last, I'm sure
COYI!!!

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

The one thing I would change in our Statute/Democracy is the right to be Tried by your peers.
In certain cases,our recent Joe Cox Case,EG,I Think your actions and intentions should lose you
the right to trial.
And should only be a very quite sentencing trail with little or no publicity,by getting public awareness
the perpetrator is getting exactly what they want.
A trail should only be awarded if someone denies responsibility for the crime.

PS. I'm Mainly talking about the so called "Politically Motivated" crime,whereby someone has an agenda for their crime.