Shit movie adaptations of good books

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Ironworksfc

Shit movie adaptations of good books

Post by Ironworksfc »

So your definition and mine of what's a good book might differ, but the 2017 movie adaptation of papillon is total fucking garbage IMO. Watched it on one of the favorite streaming platforms and could not believe how absolutely crap it was compared to the story told in the book.

Any others?
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

Newmarket

Re: Shit movie adaptations of good books

Post by Newmarket »

Ironworksfc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:56 pm So your definition and mine of what's a good book might differ, but the 2017 movie adaptation of papillon is total fucking garbage IMO. Watched it on one of the favorite streaming platforms and could not believe how absolutely crap it was compared to the story told in the book.

Any others?
You asked this question at the right time mate .

The younger generation don’t read books anymore do they ?

The Ian Fleming Bond books are a prime example of what you are saying , then there’s classics like To Kill a Mockingbird.

Mind you , different subject I know , but most movie remakes are poor shadows of their originals which are , in turn ,shit , compared to the original books .
Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 am
Ironworksfc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:56 pm So your definition and mine of what's a good book might differ, but the 2017 movie adaptation of papillon is total fucking garbage IMO. Watched it on one of the favorite streaming platforms and could not believe how absolutely crap it was compared to the story told in the book.

Any others?

The Ian Fleming Bond books are a prime example of what you are saying , then there’s classics like To Kill a Mockingbird.

Mind you , different subject I know , but most movie remakes are poor shadows of their originals which are , in turn ,shit , compared to the original books .
A high profile absolute fuck up was the movie adaptation of Tom Wolfe's brilliant 90s satire 'Bonfire of the Vanities'. Not helped by the total miscast of Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Justine, by the Marquis de Sade is a controversial book about a French girl's introduction to some of the darker aspects of sex. It is, however, thought provoking and very well written. Many consider De Sade to be a genius.

The film adaptation, 'Bend over and Spread 'em' (Sullivan Films...1978) is a fucking load of old shyte barely raising a stirring when I had the old chap out and prepared in the Eros Cinema Soho prior to me being thrown out.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Even worse when they get turned into fucking musicals.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

For every decent adaptation of a Stephen King book/story there are invariably at least two terrible ones. Cell, The Dark Tower, Thinner, Children of the Corn and Pet Semetary were all shite.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 am For every decent adaptation of a Stephen King book/story there are invariably at least two terrible ones. Cell, The Dark Tower, Thinner, Children of the Corn and Pet Semetary were all shite.
Pet semetary .

Great example . I thought the book was fantastic even though I saw the movie first .
The remade adaption was even worse.
Bring back Jonathon !

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

Its animals that come back to life, Godfather it aint :D
Covid in the Boardroom

palerider

Post by palerider »

The Shining was a good film.

And although it was only released as a TV two-part special, The Stand (my favourite King book) was excellent.

Carrie and The Dead Zone were ok.

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 am

Any others?

I watched the original movie with Steve McQueen a long time ago, so can't remember how true to the book it was, need to watch again to see.
It's difficult to turn good books into movies considering chapters can be dedicated to something that can't be fitted into a 1.5 hour movie. Having read the books, I think they did a bloody good job with the lord of the rings movies.
Omicron is an anagram of moronic