Escape to the sun

News, Banter and anything else non football!!

Who would get on a plane tomorrow and get some winter sun

Hell yes, I'm in
75%
Not sure, it might be a bit risky
13%
No chance, stay at home otherwise we all die
13%

Total votes: 8

Whiskyman

Re: Escape to the sun

Post by Whiskyman »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:21 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:09 pm

We've been to Lanzarote, Fuertaventura and Tenerife, but never to Gran Canaria. In part because we have ben told that is where most of the UK chav set tend to go in the Canaries. We usually go with one of my boys and their families so we like to go someplace where there are plenty of activities for the youngsters. Sounds like La Palma might be a decent place for Mrs W and I to go if we wanted a break on our own.

As for it being a volcano I wouldn't worry too much. The whole of the Canaries are volcanic, aren't they ? In fact there's at least one (Timanfaya) in Lanzarote where they run trips to and there's a restaurant there where they cook using the heat generated by the volcano. Kids loved that trip but Mrs W was crapping herself all the way up because she thought the coach was going over the side of the cliff every turn. :lol:
I'd highly recommend it if you want to go to the Canaries and avoid the hustle and bustle of the main islands. Weather when we went oct/nov was clear and in the 30s but that was due in part to a hot wind blowing from the Sahara, normally it's like mid to high 20s - plenty warm enough.

We went as a family of 7. We were going to walk up to the top of the volcano and visit the rain forest (yep the island of La Palma has it's own rain forest) but our granddaughter had broken her leg a few weeks before we went so that was out. Luckily they gave her a plastic boot instead of a cast just before we left so she could at least enjoy the pools.

Kids were pretty much in the water all day with breaks for meals. Brilliant hotel for a family but when we go back it'll be just me and the Mrs which we're really looking forward too.

As a side note we weren't worried about volcanoes but it does appear that La Palma is the most active of the volcanic canary islands with the last eruption being in 1971. and the volcano isn't extinct - just dormant apparently. You can still see the lava flows in people's gardens in Santa Cruz, including our tour guides grand parents house where the lava finally stopped literally 10 feet from their house. The neighbours weren't so lucky!

Here's the hotel if you wanna have a look:

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/euro ... tness.html

We went all inclusive and I'm not kidding when I say that the food (quite often a bug-bear with AIs) was absolutely top notch. Certainly the best we've ever had at any AI resort anywhere tbf and the drinks included are plenty good enough to get the job done! :D You can get the imported stuff if you want but they charge for that - not expensive though but we didn't bother since the local beers and spirits were great.
Thanks for that. We've done both the all inclusive deals and the accommodation only in the past. My youngest grand daughter is only 7 and all inclusive is great because the selections of food (buffet style) are always really good and very varied. The eldest grandson is 15 this year and he's getting to the age now where he likes to experiment a bit so when we go with my eldest and his family next time (fuck knows when that will be of course) we'll probably go accom only and do the all inclusives when we go with my youngest and his two.

Love the Canaries. Very good for families with kids. Very child friendly and they dont take the piss too much cuando yo practico mi espanol en el supermercado ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:07 pm
JayK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:57 pm

Not seen enough of Canada. Only Toronto and Niagra. Would love to do the Rocky mountaineer one time but gotta save quite a few pennies for that bad boy.

I wasn’t in Ayr long enough to worry about anything but it looked grubby.
There was a horse I kept backing, loved Ayr. Was called JayK. 7/8f hobby. Great nag for place money :lol:
Yeah until somebody else backed it :roll:
Did you bok my nag? He ain’t run since :lol: . I ain’t bet for a good few years now tbh. Best thing I ever done was stop throwing my money away :lol:
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

JayK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:40 pm
Newmarket wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Yeah until somebody else backed it :roll:
Did you bok my nag? He ain’t run since :lol: . I ain’t bet for a good few years now tbh. Best thing I ever done was stop throwing my money away :lol:
Same here 👍🏻✅
Bring back Jonathon !

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Whinging bunch of cunts. Took my 2 dogs to 7 mile beach yesterday . Had to wear sunnies and a bit of cream on the hooter. Then had to stop on the way home for a couple of cold ones.
Skyped my brother last night and he showed me his grandkids having a snowball fight. Said it was fucking freezing and fed up with lockdown. Hammers flying, pie'n' mash delivered to the door these days. Escaping to the sun?? Be careful what you wish for :D :D :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

tassiehammer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:20 pm Whinging bunch of cunts. Took my 2 dogs to 7 mile beach yesterday . Had to wear sunnies and a bit of cream on the hooter. Then had to stop on the way home for a couple of cold ones.
Skyped my brother last night and he showed me his grandkids having a snowball fight. Said it was fucking freezing and fed up with lockdown. Hammers flying, pie'n' mash delivered to the door these days. Escaping to the sun?? Be careful what you wish for :D :D :D
I'm packing the suitcase has we speak Tass.

Get the spare room ready ;)

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

Really interesting reading through the posts

Rather than completely leaving the country (something I would love to do) it was meant more; would you go on holiday now, if you could.

I would get on a plane tomorrow if I could, although I was lucky enough to get out to the south of Spain at the end of July, if that hadn't of happened, I would be climbing the walls right now.
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

tassiehammer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:20 pm Whinging bunch of cunts. Took my 2 dogs to 7 mile beach yesterday . Had to wear sunnies and a bit of cream on the hooter. Then had to stop on the way home for a couple of cold ones.
Nobody likes a smug cunt :lol:
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

JayK

Post by JayK »

Ironworksfc wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 pm Really interesting reading through the posts

Rather than completely leaving the country (something I would love to do) it was meant more; would you go on holiday now, if you could.

I would get on a plane tomorrow if I could, although I was lucky enough to get out to the south of Spain at the end of July, if that hadn't of happened, I would be climbing the walls right now.
Good point. We went off on one 😂

I’d love to go on holiday right now and god knows I fuckin need a break. I hate this fuckin weather and I’m not much of a fan of this country truth be told. But, no I wouldn’t jump on a plane right now purely coz of the pandemic and fear I would unknowingly catch it and pass on the death sentence to my terminally ill mother in law.
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

JayK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:29 pm
Ironworksfc wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 pm Really interesting reading through the posts

Good point. We went off on one 😂

I’d love to go on holiday right now and god knows I fuckin need a break. I hate this fuckin weather and I’m not much of a fan of this country truth be told. But, no I wouldn’t jump on a plane right now purely coz of the pandemic and fear I would unknowingly catch it and pass on the death sentence to my terminally ill mother in law.
I understand your concern Jay. Many think the same.

Tbh I'd probably take the ferry myself and drive to Hungary.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:44 pm
I'm packing the suitcase has we speak Tass.

Get the spare room ready ;)
Theres been a few Tel and hopefully a few more. Always a bed at our place for family and friends from home. Had old mates from Stratford asking to look after their backpacking kids as well. But.....you have to help keep the beer fridge stocked as we empty it. Thems the rules down under :D :) :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............