F1, 2020

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Noni

F1, 2020

Post by Noni »

Sorry Grandad!..... :D

Where to start.

Mercedes

All reports after mid season last year is that Mercedes were holding back for 2020..

Could they extend their title change to 2021 and extend their contract with Hamilton and F1

Expecting another title win here. :)

Ferrari

Reports suggests that the new car could be a flop, even before testing occurs... Probably gossip by the media paid by Ferrari :lol: ... Testing will confirm and if not, could be title contenders....

Red Bull

Had a good season last year, with Adrain Newey could be better then last year and challenge Mercedes to the title. 2 strong drivers at the helm. A better year.

McLaren

Great supporter to this team. So many famous drivers have passed through this historic team. It's great to see them up front again, hopefully better then last year... Would love to see them battle with Ferrari and Red Bull and see them more on the podium, even a win or 2... Love both Sainz and Norris.

Renault

Another member returns to F1 in Ocon and what a pairing with Riccardo, could also see this team win a grand prix or podiums .....

Racing Point

Though this team has great financial backing, can only see them reaching the podium, nothing more!... Perez is very good, but Stroll?

Alfa Romeo

Love Kimi Raikkonen too bits and would love to see him on the podium. Giovinazzi is still a rookie, but doubt he will improve from last year.

AlphaTauri - Kvyat and Gasly

New team, should see them bottom of mid table.. ;)

Hass

I like Grosjean as a person, but as a driver makes too many mistakes. With Magnussen, the same implies. What a weird pairing after last year with both drivers crashing each other. :? :shock:

Williams

George Russell is too much of a driver to be struggling at the back of the grid. Hopefully would like Wiiliams to challenge Hass and Alfa Romeo for points. Welcome new member Latifi from Canada. His stats are not that good from F2 last year. :?

Neville Bartos

Re: F1, 2020

Post by Neville Bartos »

I was reading on Autocar that Merc are debating whether or not to leave at the end of the 2020 season. And that their cars could be rebranded as Aston Martins.
Daimler pointedly denied this to be case when asked directly about the story though.
I guess the proof will be in whether they sign Hamilton up to a new contract. No contract = no Mercedes.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

Things move quickly in F1. Apparently Stroll senior has purchased a 16% stake in Aston Martin and from 2021 Racing Point will become the offial Aston works team.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Sorry Grandad!..... :D

Where to start.

Mercedes

All reports after mid season last year is that Mercedes were holding back for 2020..

Could they extend their title change to 2021 and extend their contract with Hamilton and F1

I hope you're right but I'm expecting this to be the closest season we've had for a while, or that we will see for a while for that matter. Stable rules means performances converge. Lewis is on a mission so is going to be incredibly tough to beat.
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Ferrari

Reports suggests that the new car could be a flop, even before testing occurs... Probably gossip by the media paid by Ferrari :lol: ... Testing will confirm and if not, could be title contenders....
I'm ignoring the reports about Ferrari being a flop. Right now it's just click-bait. If it were true Ferrari would hardly be advertising it. And if they are advertising it, maybe they're just throwing a red herring out there.
And even testing won't prove anything. Just think back to last year. ;-)
If I have to make a prediction about Ferrari it is this year will be the last time you will see one of their cars driven by Vettel. :D
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Red Bull

Had a good season last year, with Adrain Newey could be better then last year and challenge Mercedes to the title. 2 strong drivers at the helm. A better year.
I think Red Bull will be the more likely contender to Mercedes this year. You say two strong drivers. They have one exceptionally strong driver in Verstappen but I don't see a champion-in-the-making with Albon. But that could play into the teams hands. Historically it has been Ferrari who have had the No.1/No.2 driver line-up. Now Ferrari have a line-up where the dynamic clearly isn't working, whereas Red Bull have what is effectively a No.1/No.2 line-up , and the dynamic is working. I'm expecting a very strong year for them.
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am McLaren

Great supporter to this team. So many famous drivers have passed through this historic team. It's great to see them up front again, hopefully better then last year... Would love to see them battle with Ferrari and Red Bull and see them more on the podium, even a win or 2... Love both Sainz and Norris.
Agree with all of that.
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Renault

Another member returns to F1 in Ocon and what a pairing with Riccardo, could also see this team win a grand prix or podiums .....
This year will Likely be Ricciardo's last with Renault. Abiteboul has already said he's resigned to that fact. And that could affect the whole atmosphere within the team. I'm hoping they can give Ricciardo a car that he can fight with. Hopeful, but not confident.
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Racing Point

Though this team has great financial backing, can only see them reaching the podium, nothing more!... Perez is very good, but Stroll?
Although, as you say, this team has the financial backing, they just don't have the infrastructure to be building a car to challenge at the front. They outsource a lot of their components.
Change is in the pipeline for them. They are building a new factory, and that will address many of the issues they have. But that will also divert finances away from R&D.
I expect at another year of them treading water, maybe with the odd podium when the cards fall their way.

You put a question mark against Stroll's name. And you're not the only one to doubt him, with many saying he bought his way into F1 with Daddy's money.
I've always thought he would come good. But he is certainly taking his time. When he won the F3 title he didn't just win it, he obliterated the field. You don't buy F3 titles. that was down to talent.
But he certainly came to F1 too early. Moving from F2 to F1 is a big step. But from F3 to F1 is a huge step. Verstappen made that step look easy. But he is an exceptional talent. Stroll on the other hand, for all the talent he showed in the lower formulas, he is certainly no Max.
So now entering his fourth season Stroll really should be up to speed. But he's not. Which it why the question marks remain.
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Alfa Romeo

Love Kimi Raikkonen too bits and would love to see him on the podium. Giovinazzi is still a rookie, but doubt he will improve from last year.
I don't agree with your comments on Giovanazzi. In the second half of last season he really came good and was consistently faster than Kimi. The trouble was, by then other teams had developed their cars whereas Alfa Romeo (Sauber, remember;-) ) just weren't able to do that. Therefore Giovanazzi's upturn in form didn't show on the scoreboard in the same way that Kimi's early form did.
This season we will see Giovanazzi consistently ahead of Kimi - who will then go off to do a bit of rallying next year.
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am AlphaTauri - Kvyat and Gasly

New team, should see them bottom of mid table.. ;)
They're not a new team. Just a new name. But you're probably right. Bottom of mid table! :-D Although Gasly did come on strong at the end of last season so maybe he can keep that momentum going.
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Hass

I like Grosjean as a person, but as a driver makes too many mistakes. With Magnussen, the same implies. What a weird pairing after last year with both drivers crashing each other. :? :shock:
I'm surprised Grosjean is still in F1. As you said, far too many mistakes. So he really needs to grab this chance.
Last year Haas built a dog of a car and took far too long to understand what was wrong with it. (Do they even know now?). Considering they had the back end of a Ferrari it was difficult to see how they could have been so bad. Especially compared to previous seasons.
I'm not even going to make a prediction for this team. No idea!
Noni wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:05 am Williams

George Russell is too much of a driver to be struggling at the back of the grid. Hopefully would like Wiiliams to challenge Hass and Alfa Romeo for points. Welcome new member Latifi from Canada. His stats are not that good from F2 last year. :?
Williams. What do they do? They need to survive one more year until the budget cap comes in. Do they trundle around at the back again and plan for 2021, hoping that they will still have enough sponsors by then? Do they try to compete this year and spend the money that is required to do that? I don't know.
Russell will destroy Lafiti. But Lafiti will keep his seat due to the money he brings. And what will that scenario do to the mood within the team. It's sad to see this once great team in this state.
Clare needs to go. But she's family. It's a tough decision to be made. But I think it needs to be made. McLaren had similar tough decisions to be made - and they made them. They got rid of Ron Dennis. An almost unthinkable thing to do considering his successes over the years. But look at them now. It proved to be the right decision. I just hope Williams can also make that right decision.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

The F1 thread was the real reason behind Grandad’s departure from HC ;)

Noni

Post by Noni »

Gandalf wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Where to start.

Mercedes

I hope you're right but I'm expecting this to be the closest season we've had for a while, or that we will see for a while for that matter. Stable rules means performances converge. Lewis is on a mission so is going to be incredibly tough to beat.

I'm ignoring the reports about Ferrari being a flop. Right now it's just click-bait. If it were true Ferrari would hardly be advertising it. And if they are advertising it, maybe they're just throwing a red herring out there.
If I have to make a prediction about Ferrari it is this year will be the last time you will see one of their cars driven by Vettel. :D

I think Red Bull will be the more likely contender to Mercedes this year. You say two strong drivers. They have one exceptionally strong driver in Verstappen but I don't see a champion-in-the-making with Albon. But that could play into the teams hands. Historically it has been Ferrari who have had the No.1/No.2 driver line-up. Now Ferrari have a line-up where the dynamic clearly isn't working, whereas Red Bull have what is effectively a No.1/No.2 line-up , and the dynamic is working. I'm expecting a very strong year for them.

Agree with all of that.

Mercedes
I think Mercedes will win on 3 accounts. Best team organizer, Strategy, Lewis!!...

Ferrai

Vettel is past his prime. I like this bloke too bits, but he's not going to win another title!. Too many youngsters in F1, That are strong . Not like Mansell, Kimi, Rubens Barachello...

Red Bull

Don't underestimate Albon here ;) .... Albon is a strong driver... Strong contender for 2020!.... ;)

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Noni wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 am
Gandalf wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Where to start.

Mercedes

Agree with all of that.

Mercedes
I think Mercedes will win on 3 accounts. Best team organizer, Strategy, Lewis!!...

Ferrai

Vettel is past his prime. I like this bloke too bits, but he's not going to win another title!. Too many youngsters in F1, That are strong . Not like Mansell, Kimi, Rubens Barachello...

Red Bull

Don't underestimate Albon here ;) .... Albon is a strong driver... Strong contender for 2020!.... ;)
Ok, let’s agree to disagree on Albon and Giovinazzi. And let’s see how these two get on as the season progresses. (Compared to their teammates, not each other! ;) )

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

As we head into the 2020 season just a reminder that.....

...Grosjean will still be on the grid! :shock: :lol:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/lewis ... the-crash/

Noni

Post by Noni »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:22 pm As we head into the 2020 season just a reminder that.....

...Grosjean will still be on the grid! :shock: :lol:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/lewis ... the-crash/

He crashed again in testing today!..... :lol:

Love the guy, but should not be in F1 IMHO!.....

Noni

Post by Noni »

Mercedes has designed a new revolutionary steering device that helps cool the tyres. Being 100% mechanical, this appears to be legal in terms of the FIA. Will probably see a few teams protest, but I think will pass. Probably see more teams copy the idea.

Driving at speeds on the straights, your wheels tend to tow out. By pushing the steering wheel away from you, this aligns the wheels straight, causing less drag and heat in the tyres.

Why I love Formula 1 ;) :D