F1, 2020

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Gandalf

Re: F1, 2020

Post by Gandalf »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:10 am Just goes to show the work and detail....design/tuning/engine management/ etc goes into these things...2 Cars drive exactly the
same race more or less...and have punctures at exactly the same time....Fascinating..
They might be some of the best engineers in the world but it seems none of them can design a face mask that stays over the nose when they are talking!! :roll:

Noni

Post by Noni »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 pm
mkhammer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:10 am Just goes to show the work and detail....design/tuning/engine management/ etc goes into these things...2 Cars drive exactly the
same race more or less...and have punctures at exactly the same time....Fascinating..
They might be some of the best engineers in the world but it seems none of them can design a face mask that stays over the nose when they are talking!! :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Clothes peg works :D

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Noni

Post by Noni »

Bottas has extended his contract for another year and Vettel has just signed a deal with Racing Point. Sadly Perez will leave the team. IMO, without Perez, Racing Point are going backwards.

Maybe Vettel could energize some new spark without making mistakes!... :lol:

Hopefully and praying that Perez gets a good seat for 2021. It will be sad to lose him..

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

Noni wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:42 pm Bottas has extended his contract for another year and Vettel has just signed a deal with Racing Point. Sadly Perez will leave the team. IMO, without Perez, Racing Point are going backwards.

Hopefully and praying that Perez gets a good seat for 2021. It will be sad to lose him..
I'm pretty sure RP opted for Perez over Ocon because Perez had more sponsorship money.
Now with a billionaire backer and the shiny new Aston Martin moniker they obviously fancy a bit of bling in one of their cars.
Less pressure might suit Vettel a bit better and he should be able to pitch a shutout against young Lance.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Neville Bartos wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:05 am
Noni wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:42 pm Bottas has extended his contract for another year and Vettel has just signed a deal with Racing Point. Sadly Perez will leave the team. IMO, without Perez, Racing Point are going backwards.

I'm pretty sure RP opted for Perez over Ocon because Perez had more sponsorship money.
Now with a billionaire backer and the shiny new Aston Martin moniker they obviously fancy a bit of bling in one of their cars.
Less pressure might suit Vettel a bit better and he should be able to pitch a shutout against young Lance.
Just out of interest what engine will Aston Martin be using in the future? I'm assuming they'll be using AMG for next season but I'm sure I saw somewhere that Aston are moving away from AMG engines in their road cars and I can't see the point of having a manufacturer named F1 team that uses a power plant not associated with the marque.

I know Aston are developing their own hybrid V6, so that may go part way to answering my question but the fact that Aston don't have a whole lot of experience with engines smaller than a V8 makes me think that Aston Martin F1 is going to be a bit of a misnomer. I cannot believe that Aston Martin are going to develop a 1.6 litre V6 engine just for it's F1 team, (the development costs alone would surely be prohibitive) when the brand itself aims to continue for the most part with V8's and V12's.

I love Aston Martins - always have done and always will do but will the F1 team really be Aston Martin? I mean, a Ferrari wouldn't be a Ferrari if it was powered with a Nissan engine now would it?
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:00 pm
Neville Bartos wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:05 am

Just out of interest what engine will Aston Martin be using in the future? I'm assuming they'll be using AMG for next season but I'm sure I saw somewhere that Aston are moving away from AMG engines in their road cars and I can't see the point of having a manufacturer named F1 team that uses a power plant not associated with the marque.

I know Aston are developing their own hybrid V6, so that may go part way to answering my question but the fact that Aston don't have a whole lot of experience with engines smaller than a V8 makes me think that Aston Martin F1 is going to be a bit of a misnomer. I cannot believe that Aston Martin are going to develop a 1.6 litre V6 engine just for it's F1 team, (the development costs alone would surely be prohibitive) when the brand itself aims to continue for the most part with V8's and V12's.

I love Aston Martins - always have done and always will do but will the F1 team really be Aston Martin? I mean, a Ferrari wouldn't be a Ferrari if it was powered with a Nissan engine now would it?
Mercedes are down to supply RP in 2021 when they're due to switch names.
Mercedes have supplied engines for Aston Martin Road cars for a few years now -- before that they used Ford Engines -- so it makes sense.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

Fantastic stuff from Hulkenberg qualifying p3.
Showing what a class act he is. I genuinely hope he converts tomorrow and breaks that podium duck.
Vettel p12, is he even trying anymore?

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Neville Bartos wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:08 pm Fantastic stuff from Hulkenberg qualifying p3.
Showing what a class act he is. I genuinely hope he converts tomorrow and breaks that podium duck.
I think the world and his dog are hoping for a podium for Hulkenberg tomorrow. But whether or not that happens, at least we can be sure he'll be back in F1 next year. I just hope it's on the grid and not in a reserve role.
Personally I wonder if there's a chance we could see him finish out the season in a Ferrari. Seb shouldn't be there right now. He should have himself a little holiday and come back to Aston Martin with his batteries recharged. McLaren won't let Sainz jump ship early. Hulk could do with some extra time in a car. And he'd certainly be putting in more effort that Seb is right now.

As for Seb today, the TV coverage was showing onboard footage of his last quali run, and I was doubting then that he was really pushing. My thought was, maybe he was aiming for P11 and a free tyre choice.
In the end he got P12. But that will become P11 when Ocon gets his penalty.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Gandalf wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:02 pm
Neville Bartos wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:08 pm Fantastic stuff from Hulkenberg qualifying p3.
I think the world and his dog are hoping for a podium for Hulkenberg tomorrow. But whether or not that happens, at least we can be sure he'll be back in F1 next year. I just hope it's on the grid and not in a reserve role.
Personally I wonder if there's a chance we could see him finish out the season in a Ferrari. Seb shouldn't be there right now. He should have himself a little holiday and come back to Aston Martin with his batteries recharged. McLaren won't let Sainz jump ship early. Hulk could do with some extra time in a car. And he'd certainly be putting in more effort that Seb is right now.

As for Seb today, the TV coverage was showing onboard footage of his last quali run, and I was doubting then that he was really pushing. My thought was, maybe he was aiming for P11 and a free tyre choice.
In the end he got P12. But that will become P11 when Ocon gets his penalty.
I should add to that, his radio message on his cooling down lap didn't sound entirely convincing either.