Coronavirus

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
BlackDiamond

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BlackDiamond »

mkhammer wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:29 am Think we gotta start getting it in peoples mind sets....Xmas as we know it it,just aint gonna happen..no F.in chance,
don't even think it.
No office parties,no piss ups..no mad Xmas shopping trips..thank fuck.....it's an Amazon Xmas... :lol:

Just keep it to your own close family unit,makes total sense,I have no idea why some people think we can have a normal
Xmas...just shit Media/Press talk...."Boris and Tories Cancel Xmas"...they'd love that..with a picture of Boris in a Santa Hat.... :lol:

Much the same as Footie...no chance of attendances this season...never was,but you do have to aim for something,even
if it's a long long way off...plus TBH it helped clubs raise some cash by saying...there might be chance...in generating
some ST sales...not just us...everywhere,more important for smaller clubs...
If I supported a league 2 club as an ST holder,be happy to let them keep the cash,for this season...sort something
out when it's all over....discounted STs next 2/3 years or something...help the club you support out.

Oh...New Year is fucked as well....... :lol:
Of course none of this would be an issue if people had just been smart in their decisions.

In July the hospitality sector re-opened for business and by the end of august things were reasonably stable.

In september the schools reopened and within a month the infection rate had increased to such a level, panic was evident everywhere. This was always likely to happen as schools are notorious germ factories.

The smart course of action, would have been to delay until a vaccine was available. With remote learning becoming more impactful, a deferment would be an intelligent response.

And with higher education it's even more relevant. University lectures form about 3 hours learning a week. The rest of the course study is delivered on-line. No need for students to even leave their parents house before the end of the year. Because lectures can be delivered online if only those hosting them used the available technology to record them. Then you have all next years work prepared and completed as well ffs.

Of course science warned this would all happen and even predicted the time frame. So is it any surprise when it is ignored, things go wonky...

JayK

Post by JayK »

mkhammer wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:29 am Think we gotta start getting it in peoples mind sets....Xmas as we know it it,just aint gonna happen..no F.in chance,
don't even think it.
No office parties,no piss ups..no mad Xmas shopping trips..thank fuck.....it's an Amazon Xmas... :lol:

Just keep it to your own close family unit,makes total sense,I have no idea why some people think we can have a normal
Xmas...just shit Media/Press talk...."Boris and Tories Cancel Xmas"...they'd love that..with a picture of Boris in a Santa Hat.... :lol:

Much the same as Footie...no chance of attendances this season...never was,but you do have to aim for something,even
if it's a long long way off...plus TBH it helped clubs raise some cash by saying...there might be chance...in generating
If I supported a league 2 club as an ST holder,be happy to let them keep the cash,for this season...sort something
out when it's all over....discounted STs next 2/3 years or something...help the club you support out.

Christmas will be better but I'll miss my new year party piss up
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

JayK wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:40 pm
don't even think it.

Christmas will be better but I'll miss my new year party piss up
I've not had a new year party piss up for ages. Not since I moved out west. So I won't miss that.

Jools Holland's Hootenanny and a bottle of Sainsbury's sink cleaner when the bells chime and I'll be as happy as a Welsh dwarf in Fort Knox.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

don't even think it.

Good points. But aren't we entitled to ask why such draconian measures are considered necessary when the vast majority of people recover from the virus ?

And I agree with those who believe that the government, or more particularly Johnson, has totally mishandled the situation pretty much from the outset. I think the majority of people will now regard many of the new regulations with contempt because by now everyone realises we may be able to slow down the spread of the disease but until there's a vaccine we can't stop it.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:41 pm
don't even think it.

Good points. But aren't we entitled to ask why such draconian measures are considered necessary when the vast majority of people recover from the virus ?

And I agree with those who believe that the government, or more particularly Johnson, has totally mishandled the situation pretty much from the outset. I think the majority of people will now regard many of the new regulations with contempt because by now everyone realises we may be able to slow down the spread of the disease but until there's a vaccine we can't stop it.
There's even consideration now of confining everyone over 45 to their homes irrespective of their health.

If that happens it's the final straw.

That inept blond cunt will be dragged out of No.10 and strung up.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:03 pm
don't even think it.

Of course none of this would be an issue if people had just been smart in their decisions.

In July the hospitality sector re-opened for business and by the end of august things were reasonably stable.

In september the schools reopened and within a month the infection rate had increased to such a level, panic was evident everywhere. This was always likely to happen as schools are notorious germ factories.

The smart course of action, would have been to delay until a vaccine was available. With remote learning becoming more impactful, a deferment would be an intelligent response.

And with higher education it's even more relevant. University lectures form about 3 hours learning a week. The rest of the course study is delivered on-line. No need for students to even leave their parents house before the end of the year. Because lectures can be delivered online if only those hosting them used the available technology to record them. Then you have all next years work prepared and completed as well ffs.

Of course science warned this would all happen and even predicted the time frame. So is it any surprise when it is ignored, things go wonky...
Thing is BD it was well documented and spoken about....Late Spring/Early Summer,this shit of a thing had the potential
and was quite likely to "spike" Again...as weather cooled going into winter etc...why is everyone so surprised...

Finding the right Balance is all but impossible...Keeping the Economy somehow even just ticking over is as important
as wearing face masks on the underground...it's vital.
We pushed the limits of a lockdown....we had to re-open....that includes everything...shops/pubs/restaurants/work places
and Schools and Uni's everything that is vital to the Economy..
Kids going back to School allows and make it easier for Mums and Dads to go back to work...
Uni's are massive to some areas Economies....The Students Fill the Bars/Coffee shops,work in them even...I know
St.Andrews well,place would be fucked without the Students,Cambridge would take a huge hit,Oxford not so much
but would still feel it...anywhere where theres Uni's the area would depend on them.
For the Economy to work,we need people out and about,spending,train/busfares..petrol in cars...Coffee Shops,Pub Lunches,
etc....People learn remotely,work from home...stay indoors for extended periods...everything collapses.

I fail to see how Boris is the Big Bad Baddie in all this I really do...if he and the Tories had fucked up I'd say so,because
this is beyond Politics...
In fact I staggered how well we are coping...when I look at our infrastructure and dynamics,and how we report Deaths etc
...which will always make us a little higher than it actually is..and compare to rest of world,we're doing OK...

That doesn't for one minute means there aren't people in desperate states,it kills me to see it,but we're doing the very best
we can IMO...

50 Million or so adults in this country ...everyone sees it a little different,and has slightly different probs...impossible
to do right by everyone.

Dagger

Post by Dagger »

MK. Spot on mate

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

mkhammer wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:44 pm llapses.

I fail to see how Boris is the Big Bad Baddie in all this I really do...if he and the Tories had fucked up I'd say so,because
With respect I think you're missing the underlying point here. This isn't, or shouldn't be, about politics. I'm usually a conservative voter. But that doesn't stop me thinking Johnson is the most inept, duplicitous and utterly out of his depth occupant we've had in No 10 in my lifetime. And, Sunak apart, he seems to have surrounded himself with sycophantic yes men and women who are similarly cerebrally challenged.

So he, as the face of government, is going to get the blame for things that happen. And I have yet to meet anyone, irrespective of their political persuasion, who thinks the government have handled this thing in a way which even comes close to competently. As a small example as this is a football forum. How is it possible for German, France and some other countries, to hold football matches with fans, albeit in limited numbers, in attendance but here in Britain it is not ? Is our infrastructure so third world that we are now lagging behind countries like Belarus FFS.

In times of crisis the government needs to show firm decisive leadership. This shower's constant dithering, policy changes, restrictions seemingly introduced at a whim and the constant messages of doom and gloom are the total opposite that the likes of Churchill and Thatcher showed when they were in charge of the shop.

Johnson isn't being criticised because he is a Tory. He is being criticised because he engineered hinmself in the most duplicitous way imaginable into this great office and, having got them, has demonstrated that he is not fit to hold it. And quite apart from all the Covid stuff that's going on at the moment the economy is soon going to have to sort out the shit storm that will hit British businesses if no trade agreement is reached with the EU before the transitional period ends. Please don't tell me you have confidence in this bunch of clowns, and again I exclude Sunak from the criticism as he at least appears to have a grasp of the situation, to guide the country through the difficult times that lie ahead.
Last edited by Whiskyman on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:30 am
mkhammer wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:44 pm llapses.

With respect I think you're missing the underlying point here. This isn't, or shouldn't be, about politics. I'm usually a conservative voter. But that doesn't stop me thinking Johnson is the most inept, duplicitous and utterly out of his depth occupant we've had in No 10 in my lifetime. And, Sunak apart, he seems to have surrounded himself with sycophantic yes men and women who are similarly cerebrally challenged.

So he, as the face of government, is going to get the blame for things that happen. And I have yet to meet anyone, irrespective of their political persuasion, who thinks the government have handled this thing in a way which even comes close to competently.

In times of crisis the government needs to show firm decisive leadership. This shower's constant dithering, policy changes, restrictions seemingly introduced at a whim and the constant messages of doom and gloom are the total opposite that the likes of Churchill and Thatcher showed when they were in charge of the shop.

Johnson isn't being criticised because he is a Tory. He is being criticised because he engineered hinmself in the most duplicitous way imaginable into this great office and, having got them, has demonstrated that he is not fit to hold it.
Johnson started off the virus circus ok. Then he got very ill from it. He may even still be suffering from 'long covid'.

It's badly affected his judgement and now listens too much to so-called experts who at best make things up as they go along, at worst have a vested interest in selling doomsday to the public.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:05 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:30 am

So he, as the face of government, is going to get the blame for things that happen. And I have yet to meet anyone, irrespective of their political persuasion, who thinks the government have handled this thing in a way which even comes close to competently.

Johnson isn't being criticised because he is a Tory. He is being criticised because he engineered hinmself in the most duplicitous way imaginable into this great office and, having got them, has demonstrated that he is not fit to hold it.
Johnson started off the virus circus ok. Then he got very ill from it. He may even still be suffering from 'long covid'.

It's badly affected his judgement and now listens too much to so-called experts who at best make things up as they go along, at worst have a vested interest in selling doomsday to the public.
That assumes of course that Johnson actually did catch the death plague and that his indisposition wasn't just a stunt to accelerate Project Fear.

If that was the plan it backfired of course because it showed the death plague isn't, well, a death plague at all as he was back at his desk within, what was it, around 2 weeks ?