Coronavirus

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
BCHammer

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BCHammer »

Britain - or England anyway - have screwed up the whole thing from the get go. It took Boris to nearly die himself to take the thing seriously.

At the end of the day, nothing is going to work unless people strictly self police themselves and their area of responsibility ie household or workplace. The only alternate is martial law with soldiers on the street enforcing the rules like the Gestapo. In March and April when its damp and wet and a bit of a novelty, many will comply. But as soon as temperatures rise of course people will want to go outside.

Not only that, there have been so many mixed messages, contradictions, knee jerk reactions, illogical rules, stupidity and inconsistency that for many they are just weary of it all, can't believe or trust anything the government says and feel its time to screw everything and go back to normal.

Here in BC, we never had an official lock down, but all non essential businesses and public places were closed mid March, many people worked from home and all gatherings over 5 people outside immediate family or workplace were banned. The thing is people here for the most part policed themselves and respected what the health authority said. End result, we had under 100 cases a day at the peak and down to under 10 a day by June. This has doubled through July with mostly kids going out partying causing outbreaks, but is still a pretty good curve. We have had under 200 people die so far in total, of those more than 80% are from care homes. We also closed the borders and implemented 14 day quarantine from mid March when it all started (not a couple of months later when the damage was done) - and is still in place - but largely due to the chaos south of the border without explicitly getting into a slagging match with our biggest trade partner. 3.5 months later, life is pretty much back to normal with social distancing and hand sanitizer everywhere. Mask wearing is not enforced, but many wear them in public, particularly enclosed spaces like shops and transit. The only thing we can't do apart from travel without quarantining is have conferences and large gatherings like sporting events & concerts. Fortunately BC is a large and beautiful province for people to enjoy a great holiday without going overseas.

Amazing what can be done when there is a clear unequivocal reasonable message from the government and people are mostly responsible enough to police themselves because they recognize it is for the good of everyone else.

Im a proud Englishman, but I have to say I am very impressed with Canadians and feel very grateful for Canada to be my home at the moment - well, BC anyway. Sadly, it seems that sort of society is largely disappearing in the UK.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

JayK wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:26 pm
Protocol. Pub in Twickenham,Barmy Arms by the river,part of the Greene King group. Met outside by a server,listen to instructions ,ans a few questions. And he asks me to send a text to designated number,name,phone number,how many people in my group.

I comply and press the send key - message pops up,You will be charged for this text. Proceed or Cancel...

Funny way of doing things,expecting the customer will pay to give information given a choice . Food overpriced £12 and beer a bit stale.
The cheek of it. Trying to find out if my cousin's pub has reopened yet. Sounds like it has but not confirmed. Better value food and grog. The White Cross, Richmond. On the river also. Check it out. Don't go at high tide without your waders
Yeah know that well ,love it in there....nice little pub crawl along the river and up into town ..the Ship,couple nice boozers
by the cricket pitch...

Fuckin hard work a pub crawl these days tho....

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

BCHammer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:41 am Britain - or England anyway - have screwed up the whole thing from the get go. It took Boris to nearly die himself to take the thing seriously.

At the end of the day, nothing is going to work unless people strictly self police themselves and their area of responsibility ie household or workplace. The only alternate is martial law with soldiers on the street enforcing the rules like the Gestapo. In March and April when its damp and wet and a bit of a novelty, many will comply. But as soon as temperatures rise of course people will want to go outside.

Not only that, there have been so many mixed messages, contradictions, knee jerk reactions, illogical rules, stupidity and inconsistency that for many they are just weary of it all, can't believe or trust anything the government says and feel its time to screw everything and go back to normal.

Here in BC, we never had an official lock down, but all non essential businesses and public places were closed mid March, many people worked from home and all gatherings over 5 people outside immediate family or workplace were banned. The thing is people here for the most part policed themselves and respected what the health authority said. End result, we had under 100 cases a day at the peak and down to under 10 a day by June. This has doubled through July with mostly kids going out partying causing outbreaks, but is still a pretty good curve. We have had under 200 people die so far in total, of those more than 80% are from care homes. We also closed the borders and implemented 14 day quarantine from mid March when it all started (not a couple of months later when the damage was done) - and is still in place - but largely due to the chaos south of the border without explicitly getting into a slagging match with our biggest trade partner. 3.5 months later, life is pretty much back to normal with social distancing and hand sanitizer everywhere. Mask wearing is not enforced, but many wear them in public, particularly enclosed spaces like shops and transit. The only thing we can't do apart from travel without quarantining is have conferences and large gatherings like sporting events & concerts. Fortunately BC is a large and beautiful province for people to enjoy a great holiday without going overseas.

Amazing what can be done when there is a clear unequivocal reasonable message from the government and people are mostly responsible enough to police themselves because they recognize it is for the good of everyone else.

Im a proud Englishman, but I have to say I am very impressed with Canadians and feel very grateful for Canada to be my home at the moment - well, BC anyway. Sadly, it seems that sort of society is largely disappearing in the UK.
Think the infrastructure of each different country has a lot to do with the control of it BC Hammer...put up before on here
how England... not UK as a whole, has an extremely high density of population...
London goes without saying....then you have Brum and Midlands...it's like just one huge built up area...with a dozen big
towns in...same in Manchester...which aint that big...but greater Manchester...all the towns are on top of each other,
there no real break...Bolton,Bury,Stockport...then out to Wigan...then you start hitting Scouseland...St Helens....Liverpool
itself....just one giant built up area....makes things hard to contain...
Englands Density is over twice that of any Euro County...it's up there highest in world...Englands very small...Germanys
3 times the size...same Spain France Italy....
Each Country has it's own problems...some more complicated to control than others....

MK where I am....same population as Luton 20 miles down the road....they have a big Prob with it....MK goes weeks
with nothing new.....Totally different layout and infrastructures...

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:06 am
BCHammer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:41 am Britain - or England anyway - have screwed up the whole thing from the get go. It took Boris to nearly die himself to take the thing seriously.

Think the infrastructure of each different country has a lot to do with the control of it BC Hammer...put up before on here
how England... not UK as a whole, has an extremely high density of population...
London goes without saying....then you have Brum and Midlands...it's like just one huge built up area...with a dozen big
towns in...same in Manchester...which aint that big...but greater Manchester...all the towns are on top of each other,
there no real break...Bolton,Bury,Stockport...then out to Wigan...then you start hitting Scouseland...St Helens....Liverpool
Englands Density is over twice that of any Euro County...it's up there highest in world...Englands very small...Germanys
Each Country has it's own problems...some more complicated to control than others....

MK where I am....same population as Luton 20 miles down the road....they have a big Prob with it....MK goes weeks
I’m guessing a higher immigrant population too.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:42 pm
mkhammer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:06 am

I’m guessing a higher immigrant population too.
As soon as anyone in the media or politics tells the truth they get slaughtered for it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Ah. but did Boris really get it ? Or was it just a ploy to raise the profile of the various measures that were starting to be taken ?

But you're spot on about the mixed message thing. The business about having to wear masks in shops for example. When it was announced it was going to happen why, if wearing one is so bloody important, wasn't it introduced with immediate effect instead of several days after the announcement ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Places you CAN'T catch Covid 19 in Greater Manchester ..

*Pubs

*Restaurants

*Shops

*Gyms

*Buses

*Trains

*Offices

*Factories/Warehouses

*Churches/Places of Worship

Places you CAN catch Covid 19 in Greater Manchester ..

*Your Auntie Pat`s conservatory

:lol: :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 pm Places you CAN'T catch Covid 19 in Greater Manchester ..

*Pubs

*Restaurants

*Shops

*Gyms

*Buses

*Trains

*Offices

*Factories/Warehouses

I honestly can't think of any other profession where Matt Hancock would still be employed in any capacity. And the useless fuckwit is supposed to be in charge of the nation's health. It's difficult to believe any other country in the world has politicians, irrespective of which side of the house they sit to yell insults at each other, who inspire so little confidence in their ability.

I suppose it's inevitable when the MP's and therefore the selection pool for the top jobs, are effectively chosen by 191,000, which is the approximate total membership of the Conservative party nationwide. And if the other lot were to gain power the choices would be made by as few as 580,000 members.

And who belongs to a political party these days ? The foaming mouthed rabid nationalists join the Tories and the left wing crazies gather round the labour flagpole. No wonder the country's in a fucking mess. And then the silent majority is left to choose not which one is the best but which bunch of idiots will do least damage.

How in the name of fuck have we gone from Margaret Thatcher to Boris fucking Johnson in such a short space of time. Scary. If Screaming Lord Sutch was still alive he'd have a fighting chance imo.

Anyone with kids and grandchildren should have real concerns about their futures if they stay on this fucking island imo.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:38 am
terrya1965 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 pm Places you CAN'T catch Covid 19 in Greater Manchester ..

*Pubs

*Restaurants

*Shops

*Gyms

*Buses

*Trains

*Offices

*Factories/Warehouses

I honestly can't think of any other profession where Matt Hancock would still be employed in any capacity. And the useless fuckwit is supposed to be in charge of the nation's health. It's difficult to believe any other country in the world has politicians, irrespective of which side of the house they sit to yell insults at each other, who inspire so little confidence in their ability.

I suppose it's inevitable when the MP's and therefore the selection pool for the top jobs, are effectively chosen by 191,000, which is the approximate total membership of the Conservative party nationwide. And if the other lot were to gain power the choices would be made by as few as 580,000 members.

And who belongs to a political party these days ? The foaming mouthed rabid nationalists join the Tories and the left wing crazies gather round the labour flagpole. No wonder the country's in a fucking mess. And then the silent majority is left to choose not which one is the best but which bunch of idiots will do least damage.

How in the name of fuck have we gone from Margaret Thatcher to Boris fucking Johnson in such a short space of time. Scary. If Screaming Lord Sutch was still alive he'd have a fighting chance imo.

Anyone with kids and grandchildren should have real concerns about their futures if they stay on this fucking island imo.
I don`t disagree with you.

It is rather worrying mate.When we were growing up,MP's would do a normal job and go into politics later in life.They would experience normal day,including the workplace..Nowadays,many go straight from Uni into politics(normally tories),for the money they can make and not for the people they govern.While on the other side,you have the loony left,which I fear more...I am with you,I fear for my kids and Grandchildren. :cry:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:38 am

I don`t disagree with you.

It is rather worrying mate.When we were growing up,MP's would do a normal job and go into politics later in life.They would experience normal day,including the workplace..Nowadays,many go straight from Uni into politics(normally tories),for the money they can make and not for the people they govern.While on the other side,you have the loony left,which I fear more...I am with you,I fear for my kids and Grandchildren. :cry:
I used to be a member of the Conservative Party many years ago and in fact I stood for the local council in an "unwinnable" seat. Our membership had an average age of around 65. I was in my late twenties then and I was the second youngest member from a total of around 250. That's right. 250 people were responsible for selecting the Conservative candidate for our constituency. We were lucky in so far as our membership were what I would consider to be "traditional" Tories who believed in allowing people to benefit from the results of their efforts. But they could easily have been the sort of oddballs I met in Billericay some years later.

In my job capacity I represented the company, even gave a short talk, at a function organised by the Billericay conservative association. And you could not wish to have met a more oddball bunch if you had attended one of Herr Hitler's rallies during the 1930's. Complete loonies to a man and woman. No wonder they ended up with total oddblall MPs ( reasonably safe Tory seat) like Teresa Gorman and Mr Spanko (Harvey Proctor). Look him up on Google if you can't remember him.

And that, no doubt, is how Labour choose their candidates also. A few local activists who tend in my experience irrespective of which side they represent to be the extreme elements of left and right. And the party leader, again both sides, is chose from the sitting MPs.