Coronavirus

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
mkhammer

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mkhammer »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:22 am Can anybody tell me why hairdressers,beauty parlours etc have got to close down?

I have visited the barbers on a number of occasions and found it one of the safest places of all?

Does anybody really think a School,University or College or is safer?I work in a Distribution Centre for a big Supermarket chain and their are hundreds of people who work there?We have to carry on.

Maybe it`s because the hairdressers are small independent companies and the big corporate companies can pay the Government nice little backhanders?
They're not necessities Tel...we can go without having our Nails done for month..well I can don't know about you... :lol:

Everything is designed to limit the movement of people and stop interactions as much as poss.

I enjoy hacking up mountains...what's safer than that but can't do it cos means travelling,moving around and the other
things I would do as part of the trip.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:22 am Can anybody tell me why hairdressers,beauty parlours etc have got to close down?

I have visited the barbers on a number of occasions and found it one of the safest places of all?

Does anybody really think a School,University or College or is safer?I work in a Distribution Centre for a big Supermarket chain and their are hundreds of people who work there?We have to carry on.

Maybe it`s because the hairdressers are small independent companies and the big corporate companies can pay the Government nice little backhanders?
It's the centralised approach to dealing with issues. Blunt force, no finesse and no time spent on thought. A government has only two main priorities, the Nations health and the economy. So far in a year they have failed at both. But that's spilt milk, water under the bridge. Perhaps they will change.

I live in Twickenham and don't work in the hair industry but use their services. As you cleverly point out, the high end hairdressers are indeed more virus unfriendly than the Waitrose which I use.

This is because of strict adherence to hygiene. The staff are masked and gloved, aproned even and appointments are bookings only. Customers are seated 5 meters apart and no more than two allowed at the same time. So you would think they could be awarded a hygiene rating (similar to good restaurants) An inspectorate could visit Twickenham's two high streets and decide which ones have to close and which ones are allowed to remain open.

Would that work better than the track-n-trace bullshit ? Obviously it would. But we find ourselves with the crap situation we have because, well we know why that is.

Two things this government have done well this year: one the furlough scheme designed and implemented by Rishi Sunak and the Eat-Out-to-spread-it-about scheme. Just two - everything else a complete disaster and waste of 9 months time and effort. It's not possible to quantify how many more people they have saved than driven to earlier deaths. But they have certainly fucked up more people than they have un fucked.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Would have been interesting to have seen how many deaths if the Government had done fuck all.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:32 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:24 am

Speaking as a Conservative I disagree. Not because I disagree with your overall sentiments, with which I totally concur, but because, quite simply, Starmer hasn't yet pulled his party back into anything like being a mainstream political force, and in any case Nanny Labour is, naturally, backing Nanny Boris in the forthcoming vote.

Sadly the political landscape in this country is so bereft of anything which remotely resembles talent or leadership I fear we are stuck with this utter buffoon as PM until the Party itself panics and stabs him in the back. Hopefully Sunak will then take the reins. He's the only bloke in my book with the credentials and common sense to do the job with anything that resembles competence.

Although Farage is rebranding his Brexit Party into Reform UK with, at present, yet another single interest manifesto which is to end lockdowns. :lol:

I suppose he couldn't keep quiet long.
Reform UK will be a major force in 4 years time imo. They're anti-immigration as well and as unpalatable as that may be for some, it certainly isn't for millions. And unless Priti Useless does something serious about it, it'll be an election losing factor then.
But like UKIP , with whom I disagreed mostly btw, thwey won't win because the two party system, where at every election we get a government voted AGAINST in terms of total votes cast, even when Blair won with a majority almost up to 200, they haven't a cat in hell's chance of winning. Even though I disagreed with UKIP I felt it was scandalous that in one election they polled a similar number of votes in total to the SNP, who won in excess of 50 seats with their votes, against a single seat won bu UKIP. And I think he was a polpular Tory who defected.

I have no doubt Reform UK will pick up a significant number of votes, just as UKIP did, but the two party system is so rigged that it won't make the slightest difference.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:26 pm

Let's get it right. No one is fucking the rest of the world off. What I said was I'm not directly concerned about the damage the German and French, to name 2, government's are doing to their economies. I am however concerned with the damage to our UK economy because that is the country, unless they're lucky and able to fuck off elsewhere to get decent work, my grandchildren will have to exist in.

Nor could I give a flying fuck there are 4 million, or even 40 fucking million, new cases a week. The ONLY statistic that is truly relevant is the number of deaths. There have been loads of sportspeople who have had it and are back playing their particular sport. Johnson & Trump have both had it. Trump was back at work within days. If I remember correctly football in the UK first got shut down when Mikel Arteta caught it. He didn't look too bad when I saw him on the touchline this evening. And these are relatuively high profile people. There are literally MILLIONS recovering from this thing every week. But all we keep hearing about are stories like the stupid fucking 70 odd years old woman from somewhere in the West Country moaning that the "plague" (her words) stopped her mother getting her telegram from the queen because she died 4 months short of her hundredth birthday.

Yes people, you heard it right. A 99 year old woman dies and it's all down to Covid.. Fuck knows what would have happened if the cunts running the shop now had been in charge when the Luftwaffe were bombing the shit out of London 80 years ago. And your remark about why government's would "big it up". Isn't it the oldest trick in the world to present the worst possible case scenario, I'm expecting more scare stories about potential death rates soon, so that when the worst case doesn't happen everyone can pat themselves on the back and say what clever little boys they are.

Cynical, certainly. But under these circumstances I feel my cynicism is fully justified.
Sorry mate you're wrong OUR economy is driven and guided by the worlds Economies...Europe,States,China,Far east-Japan
etc especially...they crash we crash,it's all linked....all about trade..they can't buy, we can't sell and vice versa..,but I feel
I'm telling you shit you already know,thats why I'm surprised by your take on it.
Also like keep on saying ..you seem to be ignoring the fact..Boris and Co have been doing everything poss to avoid Lockdowns
and keep the Economy moving..they're being slated for it...you're having a dig and they're doing what you want,thats not fair.
Your argument is over simplistic. Our macro economy is obviously interlinked with other economies. Our micro economy isn't. My local, pub, restaurants, hairdressers, builders and countless dozen other poor sode struggling to get by are not influenced by anything that happens in Minneapolis, Munich or fucking Mumbai. And the micro economy is the one all this fannying around is screwing most.
mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am The More cases there are the more people die before their time...here or anywhere,and for those that do die,it's a slow
lonely death...whereby you can't breathe and all your organs slowly begin to shut down.
Your evidence for that graphic medical critique is where exactly ? The Lancet ? Or someone who wrote in to the Daily Star telling his or her story of how their 90 year old granny passed away. Any death is a tragedy for the people affected by it and I think the process of the organs slowly shutting down is a common factor in most deaths. My mother died in her 80s from cancer and the doctor treating her pretty much used those exact words to tell the family what to expect as she slipped away.
mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am Anyway it's not only about the deaths, it's about people suffering and taking up hospital beds,that we both agree on is
preventing long term treatment of other ailments...while this thing is around more will die earlier from other illnesses..
THAT WHY we have to get a grip of it,get it under control....Plainly and Simply it's a human contact thing so we do
everything poss to avoid that.
I simply don't get your point that it's not just about deaths. People get sick all the time, and they recover. Not just from Covid, but from pretty much every ailment known to man. FFS if we shut down the economy every time someone caught a bloody cold---------. Of course we should primarily be concerned about deaths. So why is the government not coming clean about the statistics relating to those who are succumbing ? I'll leave you to work that out. ;)

We can at least agree on the scandal of hospital beds. But as I think I've mentioned before Mrs W has a friend who is a GP and she has told Mrs W that in our health area around 90% of hospital admissions could, and in her opinion should, never have seen the inside of a hospital. But of course I suppose those statistics of admissions will be used to bolster the case for yet more NHS funding in due course.
mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am It's fucked up as many people as it's gone easy on ..so your references are one sided Whisky.
Thats my point on this, we get Flu other ailments ..it's pretty uniform in it's effects,treatments and outcomes,this shit
of a thing appears to be totally random...brings totally fit people to their knees, a 90 year old will have minor symptoms..
Again ..it's the unknown thing about it.
I ask again, where is the evidence that It's fucked up as many people as it's gone easy on. And not being pedantic, real hard evidence, not just anecdotes and soundbites from the BBC interviewing people about How I overcame my Covid Hell.

You seem an intelligent guy from most of your posts but I honestly believe on this subject you, like a lot of other people, are buying in far too easily to Project Fear.

Pale ..sorry mate I'm not seeing incompetence ...it aint poss to make long term plans at the moment,we can't go..Right
we'll keep everything as norm see what happens...and watch it spread among us rapidly which it would do...
we Can't shut down till it's gone away, thats 18 months away minimum....gotta sit somewhere in the middle,and be guided
by whats happening, it slows we open up a bit,it spikes we shut down,we have to go with it,keep us safe, keep the Economy
ticking over...that means changing tact every now and again...
Last week or so Worldwide it's gone fuckin crazy and rising...our prob is rising to..thats what guiding this latest lockdown.
it was unexpected..and therefore not planned.

First to admit it Sucks..and totally fucks peoples lives and livelihoods up...but it's not the Governments fault...it's not a Tory thing
would be defending any Government that was in office during this time.
Cos Labour would be doing similar...there aint a lot of options.
[/quote]
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:51 pm
mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am

Sorry mate you're wrong OUR economy is driven and guided by the worlds Economies...Europe,States,China,Far east-Japan
etc especially...they crash we crash,it's all linked....all about trade..they can't buy, we can't sell and vice versa..,but I feel
I'm telling you shit you already know,thats why I'm surprised by your take on it.
Also like keep on saying ..you seem to be ignoring the fact..Boris and Co have been doing everything poss to avoid Lockdowns
and keep the Economy moving..they're being slated for it...you're having a dig and they're doing what you want,thats not fair.
Your argument is over simplistic. Our macro economy is obviously interlinked with other economies. Our micro economy isn't. My local, pub, restaurants, hairdressers, builders and countless dozen other poor sode struggling to get by are not influenced by anything that happens in Minneapolis, Munich or fucking Mumbai. And the micro economy is the one all this fannying around is screwing most.
mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am The More cases there are the more people die before their time...here or anywhere,and for those that do die,it's a slow
lonely death...whereby you can't breathe and all your organs slowly begin to shut down.
Your evidence for that graphic medical critique is where exactly ? The Lancet ? Or someone who wrote in to the Daily Star telling his or her story of how their 90 year old granny passed away. Any death is a tragedy for the people affected by it and I think the process of the organs slowly shutting down is a common factor in most deaths. My mother died in her 80s from cancer and the doctor treating her pretty much used those exact words to tell the family what to expect as she slipped away.
mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am Anyway it's not only about the deaths, it's about people suffering and taking up hospital beds,that we both agree on is
preventing long term treatment of other ailments...while this thing is around more will die earlier from other illnesses..
THAT WHY we have to get a grip of it,get it under control....Plainly and Simply it's a human contact thing so we do
everything poss to avoid that.
I simply don't get your point that it's not just about deaths. People get sick all the time, and they recover. Not just from Covid, but from pretty much every ailment known to man. FFS if we shut down the economy every time someone caught a bloody cold---------. Of course we should primarily be concerned about deaths. So why is the government not coming clean about the statistics relating to those who are succumbing ? I'll leave you to work that out. ;)

We can at least agree on the scandal of hospital beds. But as I think I've mentioned before Mrs W has a friend who is a GP and she has told Mrs W that in our health area around 90% of hospital admissions could, and in her opinion should, never have seen the inside of a hospital. But of course I suppose those statistics of admissions will be used to bolster the case for yet more NHS funding in due course.
mkhammer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:43 am It's fucked up as many people as it's gone easy on ..so your references are one sided Whisky.
Thats my point on this, we get Flu other ailments ..it's pretty uniform in it's effects,treatments and outcomes,this shit
of a thing appears to be totally random...brings totally fit people to their knees, a 90 year old will have minor symptoms..
Again ..it's the unknown thing about it.
I ask again, where is the evidence that It's fucked up as many people as it's gone easy on. And not being pedantic, real hard evidence, not just anecdotes and soundbites from the BBC interviewing people about How I overcame my Covid Hell.

You seem an intelligent guy from most of your posts but I honestly believe on this subject you, like a lot of other people, are buying in far too easily to Project Fear.

Pale ..sorry mate I'm not seeing incompetence ...it aint poss to make long term plans at the moment,we can't go..Right
we'll keep everything as norm see what happens...and watch it spread among us rapidly which it would do...
we Can't shut down till it's gone away, thats 18 months away minimum....gotta sit somewhere in the middle,and be guided
by whats happening, it slows we open up a bit,it spikes we shut down,we have to go with it,keep us safe, keep the Economy
ticking over...that means changing tact every now and again...
Last week or so Worldwide it's gone fuckin crazy and rising...our prob is rising to..thats what guiding this latest lockdown.
it was unexpected..and therefore not planned.

First to admit it Sucks..and totally fucks peoples lives and livelihoods up...but it's not the Governments fault...it's not a Tory thing
would be defending any Government that was in office during this time.
Cos Labour would be doing similar...there aint a lot of options.
[/quote]

I cant quite grasp where your coming from Mate...you want things to stay open-everything to run as normal...
The Government have tried as far as poss to do exactly that...yet your against them,in what they are doing.
There is no more they can do...I wont repeat what I've said....this thing dictates what we do..it aint just us stopping
and starting our Economy...EVERYONE is....
Germany prob one of the best run countries in the world are Like for Like with us ....stop start...borrowing beyond the norm.etc..

The Miro Economy works on a day to day short term thing yes....but long term it's linked to worldwide Economies...
exchange rates etc..we need foreign trade to have a healthy economy ...you know that mate.

The death rates are out there...I don't copy or quote stuff or believe anything our Press/Media say,I'll do as much as I can
in finding out stuff...and make up my own mind and opinions,and don't pluck figures out of the air to exaggerate
anything,quite the opposite really....
97% do recover...some it's nothing more than Flu, prob the vast majority...some come close to death...and theres everything
in between.....3% don't make it.

Like said the Figures/Stats/Stories are out there....Unbiased Figures/Stats and Stories,not politically motivated ones..
I'm just taking the view we can't make light of it...it's worrying...and I'm not a worrier or a panicker...

50 million adults in this country...we prob find 50 Million different views and opinions on it....

Enjoying the exchange of views mate..

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

The good news announced today

People in Liverpool will be offered regular Covid-19 tests under the first trial of whole city testing in England.

Everyone living or working in the city will be offered tests, whether or not they have symptoms, with follow-up tests every two weeks or so.

The pilot aims to limit spread of the virus by identifying as many infected people as possible, and taking action to break chains of transmission.

It is thought around four-fifths of people who are infected with coronavirus show no symptoms.

This might have implications in how to get crowds back into football matches and anywhere else for that matter. And if the testing is thorough you might not need track-n-trace which is a primitive concept and has proved wholly useless because it can take 10 days to receive a result. In my case it's 10+ days and still waiting.

Every council should take the initiative themselves and then declare themselves Tier 2 ready and come out of lockdown. I'm a big believer of local autonomy and the benefits of efficiency this promotes.

palerider

Post by palerider »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:09 am The good news announced today

People in Liverpool will be offered regular Covid-19 tests under the first trial of whole city testing in England.

Everyone living or working in the city will be offered tests, whether or not they have symptoms, with follow-up tests every two weeks or so.

The pilot aims to limit spread of the virus by identifying as many infected people as possible, and taking action to break chains of transmission.

It is thought around four-fifths of people who are infected with coronavirus show no symptoms.

This might have implications in how to get crowds back into football matches and anywhere else for that matter. And if the testing is thorough you might not need track-n-trace which is a primitive concept and has proved wholly useless because it can take 10 days to receive a result. In my case it's 10+ days and still waiting.

Every council should take the initiative themselves and then declare themselves Tier 2 ready and come out of lockdown. I'm a big believer of local autonomy and the benefits of efficiency this promotes.
Liverpool you say ?

The test kits will be nicked.

JayK

Post by JayK »

A step in the right direction. Whether the regularity is sustainable is up for debate but it’s good news for now
COYI!!!

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

I can say this ..the Government can't...but it happens....some Similar Areas will be treated a bit differently,as has been
happening very slightly,see which has the best outcome...is why they've been trying to avoid a uniform strategy..across England,
and have let Wales,Scotland,and N Ireland have varying strategies.
Treating different areas of infections with a slightly different approach..If one seems to be working better than another,
we can change how they operate with it....we can't do one thing Nationally and stick to it,that could be the biggest fuck up
of the lot.
Bit of a Lab Rat thing I know,but makes sense...unfortunately.

Along with the fact it's not right to impose LockDowns etc on Areas where it's not so prevalent...and
Hopefully local Authorities "should " know what is best needed for their area.