War Of The Worlds

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
mkhammer

Re: War Of The Worlds

Post by mkhammer »

Jeff Wayne is touring with it next year....o2 April time...just 2 shows at moment prob add more..

Bout once a year or so...settle down, headphones on an give this a play....love it..

A link to the original Orson Welles 1938 radio broadcast if anyones interested...
evidently shit a few yanks up ...thought it was genuinely happening.. :lol:

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde »

Mikeveep wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 am I've enjoyed 1984.On the Beach,also Brave New World...

But I thought I hated science fiction ? Do the above fall under that category?
It is a very loose definition on my part I guess Mike. 1984 I think of as SF. Brave New World too. On The Beach - the last days of a world about to end in the aftermath of a nuclear war - I'm now not so sure - maybe dystopian? I dunno. It's a good point you make.

I don't count myself as a sci-fi fan either. So now you've made me think. Maybe they are not sci-fi. Because the shiny-covered books showing battle cruisers travelling the galaxies - not for me. Ray Guns and Star Wars - nope, not me either. But Philip K Dick, for example, I like (although his writing never seems to live up to the central idea of his books which is often genius).

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:00 am Jeff Wayne is touring with it next year....o2 April time...just 2 shows at moment prob add more..

Bout once a year or so...settle down, headphones on an give this a play....love it..

A link to the original Orson Welles 1938 radio broadcast if anyones interested...

goodpost:)

Nice one MK.

I found this on archive.org years ago, and was absolutely spellbound.

If you imagine a world without internet, or rolling news. Then imagine you settle down tom listen to your normal evenings musical entertainment on the radio, and the show is interrupted by very convincing news flashes, progressively ramped up from first sketchy reports to heat ray spewing martians. It sounds really convincing - brilliantly conceived and delivered.

It's well worth a listen.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

kingclyde wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 am
mkhammer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:00 am Jeff Wayne is touring with it next year....o2 April time...just 2 shows at moment prob add more..

Nice one MK.

If you imagine a world without internet, or rolling news. Then imagine you settle down tom listen to your normal evenings musical entertainment on the radio, and the show is interrupted by very convincing news flashes, progressively ramped up from first sketchy reports to heat ray spewing martians. It sounds really convincing - brilliantly conceived and delivered.

Yeah,have listened to it before...it's brilliantly done,so realistic...you can see how it would have
caught some people out..

Orson Welles was so clever,wasn't much he couldn't do in the Film world.....Citizen Kane was
brilliant as well...

Preferred the old 50s film to Cruises effort as well...both good but the old film,just had something
more dramatic about it.....was a TV thing recently as well...wasn't bad..

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 am
kingclyde wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 am

Nice one MK.

Yeah,have listened to it before...it's brilliantly done,so realistic...you can see how it would have
caught some people out..

Orson Welles was so clever,wasn't much he couldn't do in the Film world.....Citizen Kane was
brilliant as well...

Preferred the old 50s film to Cruises effort as well...both good but the old film,just had something
more dramatic about it.....was a TV thing recently as well...wasn't bad..
Me too. The Cruise version was good, but the 50s film was amazing. I still remember seeing it as a kid - probably saturday morning pictures in the local community centre - and being equally amazed, excited and terrified.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Fucking hell this old classic suddenly resonates a little bit eh?
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

Mikeveep wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 am I've enjoyed 1984.On the Beach,also Brave New World...

But I thought I hated science fiction ? Do the above fall under that category?
Sci-fi is a pretty broad church, Mike. If you look up the definition of science fiction it covers everything from The Coversation to Star Wars.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

In future when asked, I shall respond that i don't like films about fire breathing flying dragons,or Martians, or Super heroes with world shattering powers who end up having a punch up,or Daleks,or planets inhabited by Apes.......................the answer will be very lengthy.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Love this.......
Attachments
WOTW.JPG
WOTW.JPG (98.52 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-s ... rs-3567837

Hurry up you have about 42 hours left to watch it for free. 8-) 8-) 8-)