West Ham v Huddersfield - Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Taansend

West Ham v Huddersfield - Official Match Thread

Post by Taansend »

Before writing match threads I'll often look at the town whose team we're playing & write about famous people from there or something big that happened in history.

So here's that segment about 'uddersfield.

Huddersfield doesn't have a cathedral so it's just the 11th largest town in the UK.

But in the football world they have been giants, being the first team to win the League 3 years in a row (23/24, 24/25, 25/26). Funnily enough our only win in our first nine meetings was in the midst of their title run.

Overall we've beaten them 10 times, lost 22 and drawn 7. Of those 39 games 37 were over 45 years ago & we haven't met them at all this millennium with out last meetings coming in 1997 in the League Cup when we lost 1-0 at their ground before winning the return 3-0.

16,137 souls were at Upton Park that evening to see John Hartson grab a hatrick in a team that consisted of Miklosko, Breacker, Pearce, Unsworth, Ferdinand, Berkovic, Impey, Lampard, Lomas & Dowie.

We then went on to beat Aston Villa in the cup 2 weeks later, also 3-0, with Hartson getting a brace & Lampard the other.

The following month, on November 19th, we beat Walsall 4-1. This time Lamps got the hatrick & Hartson the other.

We then lost 2-1 against Arsenal in the Quarter Final with Samassi Abou getting our goal.

We also had a good run in the FA Cup that season beating Emley, Citeh & Blackburn before losing to Arsenal (in the QFs again) on penalties after two 1-1 draws.

Huddersfield have got off to a blinder this season, winning the opener at Crystal Palace 3-0, before beating Newcastle at home then drawing with Southampton (also at home) last time out, to leave them on 7 points with no goals conceded as opposed to our ten let in.

So far they've reminded me of Blackpool who, after gaining promotion to the Premier League for the first time in ages, started off well before fading & eventually being relegated.

I feel that Huddersfield will soon start finding their level & I think that will start on Monday 11th September when they come to the Olympic Stadium.

Whilst we have started shit & looked really shit last time out against Newcastle I think that West Ham are about to start a decent run with five games at home over September & October.

We might even go into this game with no major injuries :o That's right, while he may not be match fit Andy Carroll could well be in the matchday squad (unlikely but possible). We'll also have Lanzini & Obiang two weeks fitter & Reid back.

I think (I could be wrong) that the only player missing will be Arnautovic.

Bilic will have many options to choose from & many formations to ponder but whichever one he goes with I think we'll have too much for Huddersfield & will run out comfortable winners 3-1.

Preview and links will appear here

Brookbonds73

Re: West Ham v Huddersfield - Official Match Thread

Post by Brookbonds73 »

With our fitness levels Taans, we'll probably run out of steam around the 60th minute and all our good work :lol: will come undone.
Another defeat for me.
1-2
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Joe Hart's next couple of fixtures, will not see three goals sailing past into his net. Normal service - for him - will be resumed during our next home game.

I imagine Huddersfield will enjoy the London stadium experience as an iconic day in the capital. We could really do with playing Brighton right now, given the state of affairs currently. Unfortunately,that is not prescribed.

Expect our tactical genius to have all the answers - to all those questions...

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

Brookbonds73 wrote:With our fitness levels Taans, we'll probably run out of steam around the 60th minute and all our good work :i am genuinely amused: will come undone.
Another defeat for me.
1-2
Trust me. We're about to embark on an amazing adventure of glee.

We'll be calling Bilic a "tactical genius" again before you've picked out your sexy nurse outfit for Halloween :D

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Taansend wrote:
Brookbonds73 wrote:With our fitness levels Taans, we'll probably run out of steam around the 60th minute and all our good work :i am genuinely amused: will come undone.
Another defeat for me.
1-2
Trust me. We're about to embark on an amazing adventure of glee.

We'll be calling Bilic a "tactical genius" again before you've picked out your sexy nurse outfit for Halloween :D
I knew my house was bugged.
Quick hide the ropes and stop those pigs squealing!
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

I was one of the few that called out the Barcodes defeat because that game and the result was so consistent with the blanket of madness that seems to constantly drape over our club.
And now the shit is well and truly hitting the fan, just like like last season it will surprise me not a jot if we go and throw a spanner in the works and win.
It'll be as attractive as Donald Trump's spun-dried toupee but I sniff our first three points.

Another labouring 1-0 to the not so mighty Irons to play more havoc with our already fucked up, tangled emotions and give us yet another false dawn.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

If we can't beat Hudders at home with Chico. Hart. Zabby.. Antonio and Lanzini in the team then i might as well do something else on a Saturday .
Quick goal will lower the nerves!! 3-1 Us. Bilic hangs on by a thread pending the next game!
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

IronsForever wrote:If we can't beat Hudders at home with Chico. Hart. Zabby.. Antonio and Lanzini in the team then i might as well do something else on a Saturday .
Quick goal will lower the nerves!! 3-1 Us. Bilic hangs on by a thread pending the next game!
I am pleased your so very optimistic as far as the score goes , but no more heart ruling the head for me mate . If its going to be 1-3 , for me its got to be a Hudders win , god I hate saying that because I usually think we have a chance in any game .

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

Have to stay positive Clay:) Obiang back in the middle. Kouyate in defense and chico gunning for goals for his debut home game. Nice break is what we needed to get that Newcastle performance out of the system!
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

IronsForever wrote:Have to stay positive Clay:) Obiang back in the middle. Kouyate in defense and chico gunning for goals for his debut home game. Nice break is what we needed to get that Newcastle performance out of the system!
Knowing Bilic,he will play the same static midfield has at Newcastle.