Are we maybe not as big as we think we are.

Chat about anything football related here!
lukeplawes

Are we maybe not as big as we think we are.

Post by lukeplawes »

Been thinking about it lately. Are we that big of a club, ok we moving to a bigger stadium but that doesn't make you into a big club. Let be honest we been linked with all these big players but really was we ever going to sign these kind of quality players. Are a lot of fans deluded? What do you think.

punkrockhammer

Re: Are we maybe not as big as we think we are.

Post by punkrockhammer »

The owners make statements that they and the club cannot live up to imo

Shiny new stadium, so what?

We are still a club that will finish eighth to fourteenth until we get huge investment like Man City

Just because we play in a flashier stadium makes no difference at all to the teams performance

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

New stadium , European football , albeit the Mickey Mouse , owners larging it in the Media , all designed to convince the football world that we are on the up .

So no not yet but we are on the move and we have to start somewhere.

Deluded ? No.
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

We are a club on the up. But then again the Sky deal has made that the case with every club in the PL. And yes, the OS gives us extra capacity which obviously leads to yet more revenue, but imo, we have reached a crossroads.

Gold & Sullivan have been fantastic owners. Whether or not they saved us from financial meltdown is up for debate. But Sky money, new stadium or not, they are not rich by the standards in which we are talking.

Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool even Spurs, can spend huge amounts on a punt. Arsenal too if Wenger wasn't obsessed with promoting from within. We are not at that level. One of our two main striker targets will sign for Chelsea for 33m and they may have him as a back-up. I get the impression that the 38m we offered for Lacazette was in the knowledge that it would be rejected and the owners could say they tried.

Don't get me wrong. It's ridiculous the money being asked for some players. But if you want the best you have to pay it. We can't really compete yet. And stories like Leicester are as rare as rocking-horse shit.

We either stay where we are, competing for the top half, every now and then a couple of results away from the top four, or handing over the reigns to someone who's in a more lucrative line of work.

For myself, I honestly don't know.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

My kids rocking horse shat quite often. Well I thought it did until the missus told me the nipper had been playing on it nappyless.

Seriously though, I don't think we are bigger than we really are, and if we are to reach that status we have to be in a similar position , you suggested, to be able to pay Ronaldo to sit on the bench.

I do feel though that we can achieve more and constantly what we failed to in the past, we can finish in the top ten and not have the fear of relegation.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

lukeplawes wrote:Been thinking about it lately. Are we that big of a club, ok we moving to a bigger stadium but that doesn't make you into a big club. Let be honest we been linked with all these big players but really was we ever going to sign these kind of quality players. Are a lot of fans deluded? What do you think.

Last season we finished 7th and that is about right imo.

I think Leicester & Southampton will finish in lower positions but then Chelsea and Liverpool will be better so we are probably the 7th biggest club.

Fortunately we also have a large stadium, are hovering-up a lot of young talent and have one of the best players in the world so we are looking upwards rather than down.

frogiron

Post by frogiron »

What's "big"?
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

Porterman

Post by Porterman »

punkrockhammer wrote:The owners make statements that they and the club cannot live up to imo

Shiny new stadium, so what?

We are still a club that will finish eighth to fourteenth until we get huge investment like Man City

Just because we play in a flashier stadium makes no difference at all to the teams performance

A bit like a Leicester you mean?!

Porterman

Post by Porterman »

frogiron wrote:What's "big"?
A club like Leicester in club terms and Wales in International ones.

palerider

Post by palerider »

frogiron wrote:What's "big"?
Being able to laugh at rumours we'll sign Robin Van Persie.