Should Cresswell get a long rest now?

Chat about anything football related here!
askimhammer

Should Cresswell get a long rest now?

Post by askimhammer »

One of our favourites, Aaron Cresswell, has not been at his best this season after he got a bad injury in a pre season last summer. He actually played well at his return match away against Crystal Palace, but there he was sent off after two yellows if I remember correctly, had a one match ban after that has not been his normal self. He was perhaps showing some progress against Middlesboro but against WBA I think he was back to his normal standard for this season.

Anyway, now he has (what I hope is) a minor injury. Perhaps he should be given the rest of the season off, to recover both physically and mentally? Many players suffer a set back after bad injuries, and to me it looks like this is the case with Cressy. Give him time and the best rehab program available so we can get the best possible Cresswell back from the start of next season.

Masuaku has an expected return date for our next match. It would be good to give him a run of games to see if he is a player to keep for the future or if we should let him go in the summer.

SoggyOggy

Re: Should Cresswell get a long rest now?

Post by SoggyOggy »

I don't think he should get the rest of the season off but I do hope Masuaku starts against Watford. Cresswell needs competition to push him back to the level we know he can be. I haven't given up on Masuaku he impressed me actually apart from that game against West Brom where he was awful and against Arsenal when our entire back line was rubbish. He tackles a lot and he seems to be decent going forward.

belfasthammer

Post by belfasthammer »

He has had a dip in form and might need a break but resting the rest of the season for an fit player is excessive. I feel more players may be rested when we are mathematically safe

LeeWHU88

Post by LeeWHU88 »

I think a lot of it comes down to Payet's form and him eventually leaving showing up his weaknesses.

Last season him and cresswell tore up that left wing, Payet holding the ball up allowing cresswell to be able to get so far up pitch that put the opposition full backs under pressure, this is where Cress is strongest, getting up the wing and delivering crosses into the box.

This season, when Cress has played, he's not been able to get as far forward and when he does he's normally 1 against 2 which means what he excelled at last season he is struggling to do this season and I don't think he's ever been the best defensively, but what modern full back is?

Look at him v Palace, probably his best game of the season and he had the freedom to get up and down and most of palace's balls forward were aimed towards Benteke. Maybe teams have highlighted Cress as a weakness and are trying to exploit him by trying to keep him hemmed back and not allowing him any time going forward.

H4L

Post by H4L »

He's about to get two weeks rest in the sun! He had a bad injury and returned to a team not playing well with the bloke in front of him not making an effort. Is now an England international, is a very good left back.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Sometimes this site throws up some blinding threads.
And this ones a real brahmer :lol:

Maybe he'll get a rest when Arthur's back to match fitness .

About May 6th :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

He don't need a rest, he just needs to get his head straight and play better
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

He's twice the player Masuaku is. Form is temporary. Class is permanent.

Dandy Devo

Post by Dandy Devo »

Rest of the season off? Are you kidding mate?
Blimey find out his address and I'll pop around and give him a foot massage.

He needs to be playing not resting, it's a mental thing with form and footballers.

Most of the players have already had half the season off. If I were Slav I'd have them In 4 weeks early during the of season, and whipped them furiously.
In Bill Hicks we trust.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote:He's twice the player Masuaku is. Form is temporary. Class is permanent.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Apart from the Albion game Masuaku has looked decent. Not as good as Cresswell going forward but, Albion apart, my initial thought was a better out and out defensive option.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?