English Media Arrogance

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

English Media Arrogance

Post by Whiskyman »

I listened to the tail end of the CL and Euro League draws today and was amazed by the arrogance of the so called football experts who were called upon to comment.

Basically every English team will, because the PL is such a wonderful league, completely obliterate the opposition. As far as I'm concerned the only "nailed on" is Spurs to beat Gent in the Europa. Leicester were in the qualifying group with the Belgian champions, Bruges, who were awful so I can only imagine how bad Gent must be.

As for the rest I'd say Man United should get through against St Etienne and Man City have a decent chance against Monaco. Not easy but winnable. Arsenal will find it hard against Bayern, as would anyone else and Sevilla will see off Leicester.

Someone actually did phone in and mentioned Southampton going out against another team no one had heard of but apparently that was a freak result. :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

geeby3

Re : English Media Arrogance

Post by geeby3 »

I don't really care to be honest West Ham's not in it.

Whiskyman

Re: Re : English Media Arrogance

Post by Whiskyman »

geeby3 wrote:I don't really care to be honest West Ham's not in it.
We're not unfortunately.

Because we couldn't beat a team we should have absolutely played off the park because we play in the PL and they're only in the Romanian League. Oh, hang on, wait a minute-----.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote:
geeby3 wrote:I don't really care to be honest West Ham's not in it.
We're not unfortunately.

Because we couldn't beat a team we should have absolutely played off the park because we play in the PL and they're only in the Romanian League. Oh, hang on, wait a minute-----.
We lost to Astra GOO GOO who play one of the Gent teams in Feb 2017...and the other Gent team - yes two teams from Gent qualified - play Tottenham Hotspur

So had we beaten Astra GOO GOO then we could have been playing one of the Gent teams with our chums Tottenham in the same city...how exciting would that have been ?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
We're not unfortunately.

We lost to Astra GOO GOO who play one of the Gent teams in Feb 2017...and the other Gent team - yes two teams from Gent qualified - play Tottenham Hotspur

So had we beaten Astra GOO GOO then we could have been playing one of the Gent teams with our chums Tottenham in the same city...how exciting would that have been ?
I remember seeing us play in a 4 team tournament in Gent back in 1982 (showuing my age). We had a few days in Ostend and travelled to Gent on matchdays.

Still remember the Jupiler beer. First class stuff imo.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote:
BlackDiamond wrote: We lost to Astra GOO GOO who play one of the Gent teams in Feb 2017...and the other Gent team - yes two teams from Gent qualified - play Tottenham Hotspur

I remember seeing us play in a 4 team tournament in Gent back in 1982 (showuing my age). We had a few days in Ostend and travelled to Gent on matchdays.

...and that's what our club have denied us,the game,beers around the back streets,frolics out by the docks,a free night in clink and a meagre continental breakfast before the ferry home...

Newmarket

Re: English Media Arrogance

Post by Newmarket »

Sorry Gents but Gent and Genk are two different Belgian clubs from different Belgian cities .
Bring back Jonathon !

teddybard

Post by teddybard »

Isn't part of the problem with English media Arrogance
the fact that nobody challenges the bastards whatever they write
if it's your club or another they should be called to account.
Most of the crap they print is lazy journalism , that simply repeats
last months unsubstantiated Rumours.
The majority of these guys are clowns fishing for a response.
A bit like Lawrenson and his stupid forecasts.
whufc_crest
IF it's true that we are here to help others,
what are the others doing here??

shakeass “Congratulations.....You’ve been shafted by the Dildo brothers” kickimmuts

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

...and that's what our club have denied us,the game,beers around the back streets,frolics out by the docks,a free night in clink and a meagre continental breakfast before the ferry home...

That's one of the things I love about football. It's given me the chance, Mrs W would say excuse, to visit places that I'd never have dreamed of going for a "normal" holiday break.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote:Sorry Gents but Gent and Gene are two different Belgian clubs from different Belgian cities .
So is Genk oddly enough. ;) ;)
Last edited by Whiskyman on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.