Why we shouldn't go for Walcott

Chat about anything football related here!
LewisGaffWHUFC

Why we shouldn't go for Walcott

Post by LewisGaffWHUFC »

Speculation has been surrounding us with a ??25 million deal for Walcott which is in many ways a waste of budget. Firstly, signing Walcott is totally against what our owners, David Sullivan and David Gold, have said about spending big on a striker. You could argue that Walcott can play as a striker yet we already have Enner Valencia if we are looking for a lightweight striker. We should invest in a talented and proven goalscorer from the Euros later on in the window. Secondly is the risk of pushing Michail Antonio down the pecking order. After battling for a first team place since transferring from Nottingham Forest, Antonio has impressed in the half of the season he has been in the first team. If Walcott does join West Ham, all of Antonio's amazing efforts could be to waste with a new winger in Walcott hijacking his place. This signing may also inspire Bilic to play Antonio at right back, which immobilises his talent as an attacking winger. Walcott is not worth it.

blackcountryhammer

Re : Why we shouldn't go for Walcott

Post by blackcountryhammer »

and he's shite

Gonzo

Re: Why we shouldn't go for Walcott

Post by Gonzo »

I like him.

The only problem is the fitness but if he played every game he'd score a bundle of goals for us.

He's quick as anyone, finishes well and would suit Slavs formation where the striker pulls out wide.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

I wouldn't be unhappy with a fit Walcott.

LewisGaffWHUFC

Re : Why we shouldn't go for Walcott

Post by LewisGaffWHUFC »

and for ??25 million??

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Well young Jack has tweeted tonight that we aren't interested full stop.
Bring back Jonathon !

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

positives
he can control and finish (puts him way ahead of Valencia)
teams would be worried about his pace
isn't disruptive in the team environment
playing as the main striker could be devastating
very even headed, very rarely gets booked, never sent off (I think)
doesn't sulk when subbed

negatives
injury prone
gets offside to often
hasn't been played regularly as an out and out forward
not good in the air
can't defend for toffee
left foot could be better

Summary
not sure he is worth £25M. If we did buy him I would want to see him playing at the last man's shoulder with Payet, Lanzini and Antonio supplying the ammunition. A massive step up from either Moses or Valencia who contributed only 5 goals and 4 assists between them in the Prem in 2000 mins of football (payet alone contributed 9g & 12a in 2600 and Antonio 8g and 3a in 2100 - alot of that from right back). With him fully fit and playing regularly I could see him scoring 15 goals+; the question is can he stay fit

rajahirons

Post by rajahirons »

Newmarket wrote:Well young Jack has tweeted tonight that we aren't interested full stop.
Glad to see that! Theo Walcott is the English Navas for me. Lot's of potential and energy but rarely an end product. He is mostly injured, on high wages and the 25m transfer fee would be ridiculous for a player who has not scored more than 5 league goals since the 12/13 season.

Season/games/goals/assists
12/13: 32 - 14 - 12
13/14: 13 - 5 - 5
14/15: 14 - 5 - 1
15/16: 28 - 5 - 3

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

rajahirons wrote:
Newmarket wrote:Well young Jack has tweeted tonight that we aren't interested full stop.
Glad to see that! Theo Walcott is the English Navas for me. Lot's of potential and energy but rarely an end product. He is mostly injured, on high wages and the 25m transfer fee would be ridiculous for a player who has not scored more than 5 league goals since the 12/13 season.

Season/games/goals/assists
12/13: 32 - 14 - 12
13/14: 13 - 5 - 5
14/15: 14 - 5 - 1
15/16: 28 - 5 - 3
Yep absolutely . He said the Ox ain't happening either :)
Bring back Jonathon !

DanDruff

Post by DanDruff »

I don't think our treatment room is big enough for a player of Walcott's inabilities.

Words like potential and talented don't count for shit, when you're sitting in the sick bay, watching your team mates on a Saturday afternoon on telly. Whilst pulling in a six figure weekly sum, I hasten to add.

The boy is a modern day Kieron Dyer.