Bayern Leverkusen vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
normannomates

Re: Bayern Leverkusen vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by normannomates »

deanox wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:07 pm No Alvarez, No Bowen, No chance. :(
No chance is for the pessimists.

I'm going for 0-3 to the krauts

PhilipB

Post by PhilipB »

OZHAMMER wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:32 pm
PhilipB wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:55 pm

See what a Uni education gets you folks. Jeez Sherlock if he's out for two weeks and the return is next week of course he misses the return leg as well.

Let us know when your brain cell is back from it's vacation.
Hello Philip from NSW!!

I was clarifying the wording between when he 'returns' and how long he's 'out' - the timeframe suggests that he may have been 50/50 for making/missing the game.

Did you reconsider my offer to catch up for a beer sometime?
No I have not. But Fridays I always call in for a glass or two at The Honey Rider round this time of an evening. 19.30..But I'm guessing the place might not be up to your expectations. You being so goddam perfect an all.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

deanox wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:07 pm No Alvarez, No Bowen, No chance. :(
Inclined to agree with you. The thought of JWP trying to fill in for Alvarez against this lot is not encouraging. If they get an early goal I'm afraid it could get very messy. And with Bowen set to miss both games if the reports of his injury are to be believed I don't see a lot of upside to this one tbh.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

PhilipB wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 am
OZHAMMER wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:32 pm

Hello Philip from NSW!!

I was clarifying the wording between when he 'returns' and how long he's 'out' - the timeframe suggests that he may have been 50/50 for making/missing the game.

Did you reconsider my offer to catch up for a beer sometime?
No I have not. But Fridays I always call in for a glass or two at The Honey Rider round this time of an evening. 19.30..But I'm guessing the place might not be up to your expectations. You being so goddam perfect an all.
I don’t mind the occasional interactions with middle and lower classes of society, Philip from NSW. It keeps me grounded.

German24

Post by German24 »

Hi together,

German soccer fan here. Just here to say I‘m honestly super excited to see your great club going against Bayer Leverkusen in QF of EL tomorrow. You will be the first serious test for this Leverkusen squad on international stage this season. And seems like your totally capable of upsetting the big ones. Maybe you will also get known for ending the invincible series of them.

To give a little perspective on Leverkusen after watching nearly all their games this season: This team is really strong. Not only on paper. Sometimes they are actually brutally strong to be honest. Potentially one of the 3 strongest teams I have actually seen in this country in the last 20 years or even this century. It‘s even hard to find a single weak link in their starting XI.
Eventually their 2nd goalkeeper. Who could start tomorrow. He seemed to lack experience in some situations and was also a reason Qarabag had such a big chance to kick them out. Besides Xabi thinking he could save several key players for Bundesliga.
They are very dominant, fast, very flexible, creative and are putting constant pressure on the enemy backline. If you go offensive you risk loosing high. If you go defensive you‘re basically just counting minutes till they score.
Bayern and Dortmund are our historically strongest teams. Currently in QF of the CL. Still even these teams decided to change their tactics against Leverkusen and started defending with their whole squad. Leverkusen should honestly be considered a level above these two teams. A crime they are not allowed to compete in CL this season.
They just sent Bayern home 3:0 in such a dominant fashion like never seen before against a Bayern squad. But they didnt‘t really had a strong opponent since then. Only Stuttgart was able to manage a somehow open clash for a decent amount of time till now.
They have 4,5 very physical defenders on a nearly equally high level. Potentially the most dangerous WBs in whole Europe right now. Grimaldo most likely even the very best at his position. Xhaka and Palacios both combining aggressive leadership and technical elegance in the centre. It’s hard to win the game there. And in front of them there‘s still the most gifted, maybe even best player our country has to offer right now. And with Boniface being back in time they are finally able to fire on all cylinders again. A striker with a very unique skillset. Combining very strong physique and equally good 1 vs 1 skills leading to a lot of space for the surrounding players.
Anyway it should be the first game for them in the Europa League which won‘t allow Xabi to give several key players regeneration time and with the German Cup and Bundesliga basically done the focus should be completely on the international stage now.

I‘m really excited to see how Leverkusen will perform against a real international opponent like West Ham.
Everything seems possible. I can totally imagine Leverkusen sending a massive statement to Europe. I can totally imagine West Ham catching Leverkusen completely offguard, because they rarely had a decent challenge in the Bundesliga besides Stuttgart and Bayern in their first game.
Good luck to you guys and a hopefully great evening for everybody!

Towie

Post by Towie »

goodpost:)

Thanks German24, good to hear from your perspective.

Never fear our manager is the masterclass in defending deep, on our 18 yard line.

It works 1% of the time for a win, however our manager will be delighted with a 1-0 defeat.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

German24 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:08 pm Hi together,

German soccer fan here. Just here to say I‘m honestly super excited to see your great club going against Bayer Leverkusen in QF of EL tomorrow. You will be the first serious test for this Leverkusen squad on international stage this season. And seems like your totally capable of upsetting the big ones. Maybe you will also get known for ending the invincible series of them.

To give a little perspective on Leverkusen after watching nearly all their games this season: This team is really strong. Not only on paper. Sometimes they are actually brutally strong to be honest. Potentially one of the 3 strongest teams I have actually seen in this country in the last 20 years or even this century. It‘s even hard to find a single weak link in their starting XI.
Eventually their 2nd goalkeeper. Who could start tomorrow. He seemed to lack experience in some situations and was also a reason Qarabag had such a big chance to kick them out. Besides Xabi thinking he could save several key players for Bundesliga.
They are very dominant, fast, very flexible, creative and are putting constant pressure on the enemy backline. If you go offensive you risk loosing high. If you go defensive you‘re basically just counting minutes till they score.
Bayern and Dortmund are our historically strongest teams. Currently in QF of the CL. Still even these teams decided to change their tactics against Leverkusen and started defending with their whole squad. Leverkusen should honestly be considered a level above these two teams. A crime they are not allowed to compete in CL this season.
They just sent Bayern home 3:0 in such a dominant fashion like never seen before against a Bayern squad. But they didnt‘t really had a strong opponent since then. Only Stuttgart was able to manage a somehow open clash for a decent amount of time till now.
They have 4,5 very physical defenders on a nearly equally high level. Potentially the most dangerous WBs in whole Europe right now. Grimaldo most likely even the very best at his position. Xhaka and Palacios both combining aggressive leadership and technical elegance in the centre. It’s hard to win the game there. And in front of them there‘s still the most gifted, maybe even best player our country has to offer right now. And with Boniface being back in time they are finally able to fire on all cylinders again. A striker with a very unique skillset. Combining very strong physique and equally good 1 vs 1 skills leading to a lot of space for the surrounding players.
Anyway it should be the first game for them in the Europa League which won‘t allow Xabi to give several key players regeneration time and with the German Cup and Bundesliga basically done the focus should be completely on the international stage now.

I‘m really excited to see how Leverkusen will perform against a real international opponent like West Ham.
Everything seems possible. I can totally imagine Leverkusen sending a massive statement to Europe. I can totally imagine West Ham catching Leverkusen completely offguard, because they rarely had a decent challenge in the Bundesliga besides Stuttgart and Bayern in their first game.
Nice post - and welcome aboard.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Cheers German geezer. Looks to me like a mismatch between the teams but we can only hope we don’t get beaten by much, or maybe nick a draw
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Nice post mate. You seem more optimistic about our chances than a lot of us, including me, are. I watched the Arsenal v Bayern game last night and as you know Arsenal are one of the 3 outstanding PL sides this season but Bayern in my opinion were the better team and would have won if Coman's shot late on had gone in instead of coming back off the post. Bayern still look a strong side and Leverkusen are 16 points clear of them. Looking forward to seeing them play, have only seen them on the weekly highlights shows so far. I'm worried the tie will be all over after the firsr game.
And I don't think Alonso will rest too many players. He can afford to lose the Bremen match and still not worry abouit the Meisterschale.

All the best.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Welcome..... Impressive reading....but I need to advise you that if we can implement plan B.....we should be able to keep the score down to a maximum of 3......if not i fear we are well and truly fucked ..... :D