Man Utd vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

Re: Man Utd vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by eskimo joe »

dagenhamdave wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:23 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:00 am

No. "Must" doesn't come into it. Everyone has a choice. Moan to your hearts content if that's what floats your boat, although, as you say, those of us who have supported the club for 50 years or so should have realised over the years that moaning is going to change bugger all. But those of us who fall into that category also realise that the club we've chosen to support just doesn't belong historically even at the level we've found ourselves in for the last 2 seasons. That's why I say it's a "spursy" outlook. Delusions of grandeur, ideas above your station, fit in whatever term you want mate. It has to be said, unplatable as it may be. West Ham are, always have been and probably always will be no mark. Occasional seasons in the sun but the rest of the time existing under dark stormy clouds. We've lived with it for 50 years or so, or at least some of us have, and most came to terms with it many years ago.
So true in many ways, but with all the money spent it should be a lot better. So many poor decisions with Managers and Players, and especially Owners.
That really is the point, maybe we have had our season in the sun, but it is more annoying to feel we could have at least climbed one rung up the ladder but due to circumstances will remain as........ ( insert your own word ).
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:21 am
dagenhamdave wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:23 am

So true in many ways, but with all the money spent it should be a lot better. So many poor decisions with Managers and Players, and especially Owners.
I'm guessing that those in the boardroom will be looking for some sort of return on the investment splashed out in the summer window. Imo as I've said before management should be judged on delivering year on year improvement if resources are made available. I expect questions to be asked if such an improvement from last season's points total isn't achieved. And at the moment that looks unlikely.
I can't see the two spivs crying over money spent, because I don't believe it was them that spent it. Kretinsky however may just be snapping his pencils at the gobshittery being dished out by the bloke they employed.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:33 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:21 am

I'm guessing that those in the boardroom will be looking for some sort of return on the investment splashed out in the summer window. Imo as I've said before management should be judged on delivering year on year improvement if resources are made available. I expect questions to be asked if such an improvement from last season's points total isn't achieved. And at the moment that looks unlikely.
I can't see the two spivs crying over money spent, because I don't believe it was them that spent it. Kretinsky however may just be snapping his pencils at the gobshittery being dished out by the bloke they employed.
That argument is flawed though isn't it ? It may initially have been Kretinsky's cash, which he used to buy his shares in the club, that funded the spree but it's the company's money now and not his. No doubt he, and his lovable co directors will be expecting some sort of return on it. If not surely they wouldn't have released the funds in the first place.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:38 am
Brookbonds73 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:33 am

That argument is flawed though isn't it ? It may initially have been Kretinsky's cash, which he used to buy his shares in the club, that funded the spree but it's the company's money now and not his. No doubt he, and his lovable co directors will be expecting some sort of return on it. If not surely they wouldn't have released the funds in the first place.
That was kind of my point.
They would have probably done what they normally do in the transfer window, buy one or two, couple of loans etc whilst selling off what they can until kretinsky came along and bought in to the club.
I don't they're too fazed whether we finish 7th or 17th tbf. Kretinsky on the other hand I suspect will be a tad livid come May.
If as been banded about the fact that the two parasites are to sail off in to the sunset then hopefully kretinsky or whoever's in charge can make the necessary changes to push the club forward. One of them being the immediate dismissal of this inept manager of ours.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

palerider

Post by palerider »

I'd like to apologise.

Poppy, Michaelangelo, Lunarchild and myself sprayed David Moyes with orange paint in Manchester last night but it was pointed out this morning that the protest was against fossil fuels, not fossils.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:34 pm
hd1 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:28 pm

Cant agree with that, we were the better side for most of the game. We pushed high from the start and certainly weren't defensive as per previous games. They were scared towards the end and had to shore up their midfield at the end to save the game
DeGea made his first save around the 70 minute mark. I agree neither Fabianski or Areola had anything significant to do either but until Man U handed us control of midfield we created squat. A high press is no lint if it the players aren’t able to create anything from it.

I have never suggested we are too defensive. We aren’t. We’re just not very good at creating decent opportunities.
Do you think that is down to the way Moyes plays(3 defensive midfielders,one up front)or our personal?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:30 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:34 pm

DeGea made his first save around the 70 minute mark. I agree neither Fabianski or Areola had anything significant to do either but until Man U handed us control of midfield we created squat. A high press is no lint if it the players aren’t able to create anything from it.

I have never suggested we are too defensive. We aren’t. We’re just not very good at creating decent opportunities.
Do you think that is down to the way Moyes plays(3 defensive midfielders,one up front)or our personal?
If I’m being totally honest, a combination of both. Most clubs set up to keep it tight for the first half, particularly if playing one of the big boys, but, again only imo, we keep the handbrake on too long. But a lot of people I think have an over optimistic view of the ability in the squad. For example how many of our lot would get a starting spot for their lot? Even Rice would struggle to displace Casemiro which says a lot imo.

Honest answers only. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

I was impressed by how we played at OT, we had quite a bit of possession and played some nice stuff. Admittedly we were bereft of chances in the final third, Benny, Scamacca & Bowen could have done better imho.

That said, the subs fixed that & if not for some great defending by Dalot & Martinez, along with a clinic in goalkeeping from DDG, we were desperately unlucky to no win that game.

People moaning how we narrowly lost at OT & Anfield forget how far we’ve come in a short amount of time. I think we’ll get points off these teams at the LS, not to mention Chelsea too. Our squad will get better with injuries & playing time both improved for the likes of Paqueta, Aguerd, Cornet & Scamacca and our second half of the season will not be a mirror of our first. MOYES IN!
#fuckqatar2022

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Hammertime wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:54 pm I was impressed by how we played at OT, we had quite a bit of possession and played some nice stuff. Admittedly we were bereft of chances in the final third, Benny, Scamacca & Bowen could have done better imho.

That said, the subs fixed that & if not for some great defending by Dalot & Martinez, along with a clinic in goalkeeping from DDG, we were desperately unlucky to no win that game.

People moaning how we narrowly lost at OT & Anfield forget how far we’ve come in a short amount of time. I think we’ll get points off these teams at the LS, not to mention Chelsea too. Our squad will get better with injuries & playing time both improved for the likes of Paqueta, Aguerd, Cornet & Scamacca and our second half of the season will not be a mirror of our first. MOYES IN!
I’d advise you to bookmark this and cut & paste it on

Dec 26 2022
Feb 18 2023
March 18 2023

…that way you only have to change the names :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:15 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:30 pm

If I’m being totally honest, a combination of both. Most clubs set up to keep it tight for the first half, particularly if playing one of the big boys, but, again only imo, we keep the handbrake on too long. But a lot of people I think have an over optimistic view of the ability in the squad. For example how many of our lot would get a starting spot for their lot? Even Rice would struggle to displace Casemiro which says a lot imo.

Honest answers only. ;)
" We keep the handbrake on too long ".

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well I could have but never thought of it. But you are right, and that's the thorn. His record with these types of games are far from impressive, well not from the success rate view point. And I'm guessing going on my own views that the way he plays or sets up is constant. So he won't change for these games or how he approaches other games.

As for it partly being our personnel, yes partly that also, but I think we already know that. It seems Moyes buys players and tries to make them fit for purpose rather than buy ones that are ready made. Ok it might be lack of availability, but that's the draw back of having only one way. He needs to figure out how to set up to get the best out of them and the team as a whole.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest