Downes - The Future

Chat about anything football related here!

Downes - The Future

Post by 9898 »

We've signed Kovak MK II.
Sideways, backwards, no adventure in his play and has no effect on a game.
Waste of money.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

BlackDiamond

Re: Downes - The Future

Post by BlackDiamond »

He was described at Swansea, as 'in like Flynn', due to his tendency to collect yellow cards (12), one red.

Gonzo described the lad, as energetically snapping into tackles, although this strength was restrained during the recent friendly.

We'll see how the lad 'progresses' during the season, but almost all professional footballers have some attribute - however tiny - that elevate them above the cretinous and absurdly ungifted.

Not so a lad at school, 'Cheese Dick' Richard Penfold, after one abridged appearance for the school first XV was hauled off - never to feature again -
and sent to complete the rest of term PE with the girls.

So generally, by the time a player reaches elite football level they are better preserved than Richard...even young Flynn

Post by 9898 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:15 pm He was described at Swansea, as 'in like Flynn', due to his tendency to collect yellow cards (12), one red.

Gonzo described the lad, as energetically snapping into tackles, although this strength was restrained during the recent friendly.

We'll see how the lad 'progresses' during the season, but almost all professional footballers have some attribute - however tiny - that elevate them above the cretinous and absurdly ungifted.

Not so a lad at school, 'Cheese Dick' Richard Penfold, after one abridged appearance for the school first XV was hauled off - never to feature again -
and sent to complete the rest of term PE with the girls.

So generally, by the time a player reaches elite football level they are better preserved than Richard...even young Flynn
I guess we'll have to refer to Downes as cheese dick from now on.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

May have tried to model himself on Mark Noble

Can he take a penalty ?

garnett

Post by garnett »

9898 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:32 pm We've signed Kovak MK II.
Waste of money.
No surprise, to come top of a pass completion list that's how you have to play, I doubt very much if he will feature this season so in theory he has this season to expand his game.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

garnett wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:48 am
9898 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:32 pm We've signed Kovak MK II.
Waste of money.
No surprise, to come top of a pass completion list that's how you have to play, I doubt very much if he will feature this season so in theory he has this season to expand his game.
Well I doubt he will feature in the city match, but maybe more games than you think. He will probably play the first two European games.

Can't write him off before he has kicked a ball in anger. Pre-season is only small indicator, it's the real business that counts.

I only judge keepers in pre, if they can fuck up in easy games then I wouldn't rely on them, they only have one job to do.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

eskimo joe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:12 am
garnett wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:48 am

Well I doubt he will feature in the city match, but maybe more games than you think. He will probably play the first two European games.

Can't write him off before he has kicked a ball in anger. Pre-season is only small indicator, it's the real business that counts.

I only judge keepers in pre, if they can fuck up in easy games then I wouldn't rely on them, they only have one job to do.
Why would you only analyse a Keepers performance pre-season Joe ? , doesn't a strikers ability to score matter , or a DM's ability to tackle and intercept make a difference just to put a few out there .

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Clayton wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:17 am
eskimo joe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:12 am

Why would you only analyse a Keepers performance pre-season Joe ? , doesn't a strikers ability to score matter , or a DM's ability to tackle and intercept make a difference just to put a few out there .
Yes, it does, but, and this is just my opinion, the effort in pre seasons isn't as intense as competitive matches, so I give leeway to outfielders for many reasons, one being avoiding unnecessary injuries ( lame maybe ). The goalkeeper hasn't got that and all the other stuff to contend with and his job is mainly down to basics of his own role.

Maybe I'm talking shit, but I really have only seen pre seasons as a training exercise to get the players used to 90 mins play. That and to get a general idea of how they play. Downes for example didn't light up lights he played simple, doesn't necessarily mean he can't do better, but given the circumstances, better to play simple than look the fool

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

eskimo joe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:32 am
Clayton wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:17 am

Yes, it does, but, and this is just my opinion, the effort in pre seasons isn't as intense as competitive matches, so I give leeway to outfielders for many reasons, one being avoiding unnecessary injuries ( lame maybe ). The goalkeeper hasn't got that and all the other stuff to contend with and his job is mainly down to basics of his own role.

Maybe I'm talking shit, but I really have only seen pre seasons as a training exercise to get the players used to 90 mins play. That and to get a general idea of how they play. Downes for example didn't light up lights he played simple, doesn't necessarily mean he can't do better, but given the circumstances, better to play simple than look the fool
So why can't a Keeper be less focused pre-season , if the rest of the team aren't up to it , some of the acrobatics and positions keepers have to put themselves in can be just as dangerous if not more so then outfield players . Maybe professional football / or the coaching is different but in my day :lol: our preseason was intense , training and matches was no different then the season , but I was always one for doing my best at all times , and as someone who also served - your best is always what is needed , no days off there .

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Clayton wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:47 am
eskimo joe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:32 am

So why can't a Keeper be less focused pre-season , if the rest of the team aren't up to it , some of the acrobatics and positions keepers have to put themselves in can be just as dangerous if not more so then outfield players . Maybe professional football / or the coaching is different but in my day :lol: our preseason was intense , training and matches was no different then the season , but I was always one for doing my best at all times , and as someone who also served - your best is always what is needed , no days off there .
Basics like positioning, and distribution don't call for acrobatics. And they are less likely to get crippled by a tackle in a meaningless game. You can lessen the chances of injury but not be totally free. And I doubt, I think even Moyes thinks , they been playing to their full potential, and that doesn't surprise me.