Jamie Vardy to Arsenal

Chat about anything football related here!
redhammer
Site Admin

Jamie Vardy to Arsenal

Post by redhammer »

Not sure if this is a good move or not! I can only imagine missing out on Suarez is playing on Wengers mind where he Fannied around and he joined Barca!

So again he 'wants' the (second) top scorer in the league but this time he is off to get him.

I didn't even want Vardy here, not convinced he is what Arsenal need but they need A striker, thought Morata would have been good should they have pursued it!

Giroud for us, anyone? He and Payet link well for France anyway!

palerider

Re: Jamie Vardy to Arsenal

Post by palerider »

While I think our style suits Giroud more, Wenger wouldn't let him leave. He adores the player and continually backs him when the goals dry up.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Just passing thoughts. Vardy scored a hat full this past season and it's mainly this that has put him on the radar.

Now I haven't had the opportunity, or the want, to see him play much other than the games with us. How much of his success is down not only to himself but to his team mates who seemed to have put in a shift in most every game?

What I am thinking, or trying to say is, maybe a change of team and personnel might see him not perform as well. I suspect that next season won't be as fruitful for him. Of course I could be talking out of my hat.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

I have my doubts about how successful he will be at Arse. At Lester they play counter attacking football, which is what we do to a certain extent and many of his goals are scored from defensive situations where Lester have broken quickly and used his blistering pace. Arse play possession football so there is rarely space behind their opponents defence and this is what Vardy thrives on. Will be surprised if he scores 20 goals plus in the Prem next year.

One of the next best counter attacking stikers is Walcott and him playing up front might well work for us. He could probably bought cheap but his wage demands would probably be too high based on his recent goals ratio.

thomasdown480

Post by thomasdown480 »

Apparently Wenger absolutely loves him.

The only doubt I had about him when linked with us was "is he a one season wonder"

£20-£25mil is not a lot considering the amount of money next season. Like buying a £11-£14mil this season.

Think personally Wenger has found a cheap striker at that price to shut all the idiot supporters up who want them to spend £50mil plus

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Double Payets goal tally add his assists and double his purchase price and we got a bargain.

However I would gulp at paying £25nil on what could turn out to be a one sesson wonder. But I'm a tight arse and for that money I need to be convinced.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

garnett

Post by garnett »

I'm not surprised if this happens,
Wenger used his get out of jail free card last season, Vardys quickness off the mark goes back to Le Arses counter attacking style of years past, good signing for them if it happens, the rest of the top 6 should be very wary.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

redhammer wrote:
Giroud for us, anyone? He and Payet link well for France anyway!
I'd take Giroud in a heartbeat. Had a poor last season apparently yet still bagged 16 league goals.

That said, 29 and a Wenger inspired price tag of around £19 Million and a £100k a week wage makes him look a less attractive prospect than some other names we've been linked with.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

H4L

Post by H4L »

Has maybe two years of him prime left. 20 mil if he carries on scoring is a good price but will he continue to score? Liecester's style of play suits him down to the ground. Loads of balls in the box, stuff to run on to and turning defences. Will he get that at Arsenal? Don't begrudge Vardy if goes. Toiled in the lower leagues. Took his chance and a move to Arsenal would make him a multi millionaire which sets his family up for life. Good on him.

LittleHammerton

Post by LittleHammerton »

Personally I like a striker to prove himself in terms of scoring over at least 2 seasons. I think 20 odd million is too much after 1 season for Vardy, but if he does it again next season it will look like a bargain. But certainly too big a risk for us so am pleased to hear of the interest from L'Arse.

A striker can only be called prolific after 2 good seasons....like Kane, you have to say he has proven himself now, unfortunately!!!

Trouble is if they have 2 good seasons in a row you have to pay top dollar!