What is more important, a right back or a striker?

Chat about anything football related here!
Mikeveep

Re: What is more important, a right back or a striker?

Post by Mikeveep »

He does seem to be able to offer a different dimension coming from a deep position.

He's maybe not suited to the close control and passing we see on the left hand wing.

Slaven does seem to expect a full shift from his defenders !

And..my favourite cliche.. when he gets decent strikers in, the midfield will give the defense greater cover.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

rajahirons wrote:I'm wondering if Bilic sees Antonio as a possible world class right back in 2 or 3 seasons.

He is currently our best winger going forward. I do not really like him playing at the back because he does lose track of his defensive duties.

I'm just wondering if Bilic is trying to convince him to make the switch. He does possess all the right attributes to be one of the best right backs in the world and definitely the best in England. He looks way better than any other right back in the country going forward, it's just his defensive duties which becomes a problem.

The question is if it's worth it? He will be tied down more, but another proper winger can really add to our attacking capabilities. Moses, Emenike and Sakho playing on the right does not count as proper consistent attacking wingers.

I'm not saying it's the way to go, but I'm warming to the idea of Antonio converting into a world class right back. You won't easily find a FB being stronger, fitter, better in the air(more headed goals than Andy) better going forward....he just need to get his defending sorted....we might have the next Maicon on our hands.
That's an interesting and feasible guess at what might be going through Bilic's mind re Antonio . If that's true then Bilic is wrong .

Antonio is far too good at what he currently does to chance converting him into an average defender.

I just think that , as marvellous as last season was , Bilic is just being a stubborn cunt .
Everyone says how refreshing it is to have such honesty , no Allardyce-like feeble excuses etc at post match press conferences but has anybody ever actually asked Bilic about his persistence in using Antonio there ?
Might even get an honest answer :)
Bring back Jonathon !

garnett

Post by garnett »

Afternoon,
Slav seems to think we need cover, he obviously doesn't regard Byram Tomkins nor young Burke competent enough to play right back nor does he seem interested in playing Antonio in a more advanced Valencia roll making the Ecuadorian surplus to requirements, a bargaining tool.

After last season's exploit I find it difficult to criticise Slav but I do find myself scratching my head at some decisions which I find a given.

Post by 1234 »

Time to sell Tomkins.
He has never been the quality CH people expected and certainly never lived up to the 'future England Captain' some extolled on him.
At 27 the potential tag is gone and he is just an average CH who gets bullied.
Take £6-8 million for him and sign a top quality RB as Byram looked like a little boy who is nowhere near PL standard as a full back.

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

Personally, I chose Antonio as Hammer of the Year (as I knew Payet would win it), so it was more a vote to get him onto people's radar. He is DYNAMITE! That headed goal aginst Man U; the height and accuracy...and the importanced of the game! Running the length of the pitch and heading that goal against Liverpool....Getting the vital (only) goal against Spurs at the Boleyn.
He makes goals, but has an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time to score them. The technique for that FA Cup goal v Liverpool at the Boleyn...Strength, technique, pace; the guy is a machine! He makes goals, he scores 'em.
To convert him to RB would be sheer madness in my book. Sure; "In Slav we trust", but I would still disagree big time if Slav did convert him to RB.
We all know how co-operative Ant has been, but in a recent interview, he did v briefly let down his guard by letting slip he was disappointed to keep being played at RB. He'll do it, and with good grace because he is such an all-round, good team-player and 'good guy'....but it is not what he wants...
Buying a top 'expensive' RB could be the solution to finding a 20 goals a year player, by releasing Antonio to do what he does best...

LewisGaffWHUFC

Re : What is more important, a right back or a striker?

Post by LewisGaffWHUFC »

give Byram his chance at right back

West Ham Sim

Post by West Ham Sim »

Give young Byram a run of games at right back , he did,not look out of place against the scousers at home and will grow in confidence .
The kids got talent and very comfortable on the ball. Watch him shine under Slav this year.

thomasdown480

Post by thomasdown480 »

Both are just as important.

Right back for me would be Glen Johnson he is only 31 years old and as we know used to be with us & would get quite cheap I feel (under £5million)

I feel he could do a job at right back the next 2 seasons whilst young Byram learns the ropes.

I mean he is only at Stoke? Who the fu*k wants to live in Stoke?

Striker for me has to be Lacazette but also hearing good rumours about Zaza who looks interesting as well. But if Lacazette does fall through and we got Zaza with Benteke on a loan with a view to buy I would be happy.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Thought I'd dig this up as I feel it's still pertinent :lol:

Are either of these issues going to be addressed ?

My personal opinion is no .

Thoughts gentlemen ?
Bring back Jonathon !

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Well done NM. Good to see the line of thought from six months ago.

Personally, as much as I would like to see a quality striker and a rb, I'd settle for simply solid in both.

Who would take Demel, O'Brien, or Tomkins over what we currently have? They were nothing flash - just solid.