The Euro's 2020(21) Thread.

Chat about anything football related here!
hd1

Re: The Euro's 2020(21) Thread.

Post by hd1 »

Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:28 am
Gandalf wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 am What are the views of people on here about the Marcus Danielson red card in the Sweden-Ukraine match?
Not sure what he could have done to avoid a follow through. It was a bit like Balbuenas one for us.
He won the ball, where was he supposed to put his foot? He's trying to clear the ball up field
Agree, and anyone who's played the game properly would understand that, which is probably why the ref sent him off :roll:

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:50 pm
h69 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Flying in with your foot off the ground and ploughing into someone halfway up their shin is a potential leg breaker. That's out of control.
I don’t understand why you say it was out of control. If he did a bicycle kick and connected with the ball you wouldn’t say it was out of control. If the ball was on the ground and he played the ball you wouldn’t say it was out of control. So why, when he plays the ball two foot off the ground, do you say it was out of control? He went for the ball, and he played the ball. That is in control.
The Swedish coach after the game said the red card was probably the correct decision. The player did get the ball however the follow through seemed to bend the leg unnaturally the wrong way - I didn't realise limbs were that flexible - and it was this image, when the referee reviewed the contact, that persuaded the upgrade to red from yellow.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:36 pm
He wasn't out of control. His other foot was on the floor, and the ball was 2 foot off the ground. If the ball had been on the floor, and he took the player out half way up his leg, then fair enough , but it wasn't.
He has to make a split second decision to clear the ball or let it bounce.
And here lies the problem, the rules are made by people who have never played the game probably, and do not understand how the game works.
The ref didn't send him off, VAR did. The ref didn't see a bad challenge in real time, but some bloke who's viewing it from every angle in slow motion decides that because the guys leg bent backwards, it's a reckless challenge.
There was absolutely no malice in that challenge whatsoever, as there was no malice in Balbuenas challenge on Chillwell just one of those things that happens in a pacey contact sport in real time, and quite frankly rediculous.
Don't even think it deserved a yellow.
Flying in with your foot off the ground and ploughing into someone halfway up their shin is a potential leg breaker. That's out of control.
Absolute rubbish and you know it, but I don't expect you to admit when you're wrong.
You normally love telling people how long you've been watching football, think new contacts are required mate.

DanishHammer

Post by DanishHammer »

He hit the ball (and the leg) with his studs, not just his foot (which is what you normally kick a ball with)

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

I don’t understand why you say it was out of control. If he did a bicycle kick and connected with the ball you wouldn’t say it was out of control. If the ball was on the ground and he played the ball you wouldn’t say it was out of control. So why, when he plays the ball two foot off the ground, do you say it was out of control? He went for the ball, and he played the ball. That is in control.
Spot on. Just because it's a stupid fucking rule made up by people who haven't got a fucking clue, dose t make it a reckless challenge.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:31 pm

The Swedish coach after the game said the red card was probably the correct decision. The player did get the ball however the follow through seemed to bend the leg unnaturally the wrong way - I didn't realise limbs were that flexible - and it was this image, when the referee reviewed the contact, that persuaded the upgrade to red from yellow.
Yes the coach said it was probably the right decision going by the rules. It is almost a non contact sport as it is, and of I was playing with Danielson and he didn't make that challenge, he would have got a bollocking, and if I was Danielson I'd feel that maybe it's time to hang up my boots ffs. What the fuck is it coming to 🙄

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:49 pm

Spot on. Just because it's a stupid fucking rule made up by people who haven't got a fucking clue, dose t make it a reckless challenge.
If you look solely at the pictures it looks like a horrific tackle. But when you look at the video you see Danielson is hardly moving. It’s the other guy that’s coming in at pace.
You can’t even describe it as a bad tackle, because it wasn’t a tackle. The other guy wasn’t in possession of the ball, and Danielson got to the ball first.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:41 pm
Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:49 pm
If you look solely at the pictures it looks like a horrific tackle. But when you look at the video you see Danielson is hardly moving. It’s the other guy that’s coming in at pace.
You can’t even describe it as a bad tackle, because it wasn’t a tackle. The other guy wasn’t in possession of the ball, and Danielson got to the ball first.
It's a natural movement in football from Danielson imo. He probably thought the other player was going to make a challenge, as you would expect, so he made sure he got to the ball first. The other player just stood upright, hence the reason he got caught where he did 🙅

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

If I were a Swede I would be gutted ,but I’m not.

h69

Post by h69 »

Castiron wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:46 pm

Absolute rubbish and you know it, but I don't expect you to admit when you're wrong.
You normally love telling people how long you've been watching football, think new contacts are required mate.
I dont think how long I have been watching football bears any relevance here given the red card rules have changed dozens of times in the last few years. Maybe you are comparing todays game to the 70s or 80s which would not be the first time on here but I am merely interpreting that tackle based on today's rules.

Well if the red card is overturned I am happy to admit I am wrong but I can't seem to find the link....if you can post it that would be great.

Like I said, the way they define out of control is exactly what happened here. His foot was way too high and his studs were up. If he was under control, he would have lowered them before he made contact with the geezer's shin. That is not a controlled tackle regardless of the reasons for it and therefore that was why it was red. I didn't make up the rule that upsets you so much but it is there and that is why their own coach said it was the right decision. Maybe you think you know more than him but he is a professional coach and it was his own player so I will probably take his opinion over yours. Odd that though, maybe he needs contacts as well ? 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the mitigating factors you mention are probably correct but the fact is that that it makes no difference to the reason he got a red given the rules that are in place as they dont look at these.

Its only my opinion on why the red was given and really no need for you to get so hot under the collar. You are welcome to disagree with me, their coach and UEFA, it makes no odds to me. If it has been overturned then I am happy to say I misinterpreted it.