12 v 4 your thoughts. on transfers.

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

12 v 4 your thoughts. on transfers.

Post by eskimo joe »

Read an article on C&H, which I am sure many of you have seen also regarding transfers. It was something I also was thinking about. Not so much the quality but the quantity.
The article mentions that the quantity was due to taking into consideration and intention of an extended Europa cup run.
Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing,, but Rossenoir goes on to say that it would probably have been better to have gone for four top quality players rather than the twelve we got with Europa in mind.
I think most of us know that we haven't really so much improved the team quality wise, more that we have improved it depth wise. Basically now having like for like.
Do you feel this was the right way to go or should we have concentrated solely with the league in mind and taken our chances in the Europa? To compete in both and have a chance we needed stronger depth, compared to last season we now have that. But..well we already know part of the outcome.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Neville Bartos

Re: 12 v 4 your thoughts. on transfers.

Post by Neville Bartos »

Leroy fails to mention who these 4 or 5 quality players are.
Proven quality don't come cheap -- £45m for Ayew and Zaza.
Proven quality isn't guaranteed to want to join -- Bacca, Batshuayi.
And proven quality isn't guaranteed to succeed -- Song.
Plus it's way too early to be writing off the players we did sign as being in deficit in the quality department -- despite what the doom and gloom merchants might say.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Neville Bartos wrote:Leroy fails to mention who these 4 or 5 quality players are.
Proven quality don't come cheap -- £45m for Ayew and Zaza.
Proven quality isn't guaranteed to want to join -- Bacca, Batshuayi.
And proven quality isn't guaranteed to succeed -- Song.
Plus it's way too early to be writing off the players we did sign as being in deficit in the quality department -- despite what the doom and gloom merchants might say.
True, personally I don't think se did so bad. The only bum incommer imo was Tore.

garnett

Post by garnett »

Morning,

We needed depth of squad regardless of competitions, I believe chasing a "marquee" signing, oh I hate that saying, which was never going to happen hampered our progress.
I believe selling Tomkins was a mistake, a better long term option than Ginge imo, I'm happy with the full back situation once Arbeloa is fully fit, I also believe the inability to sell both Valencia and Sakho hampered our upgrade program.

I'm glad we are still grabbing youth from others, lots of positives for the future.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

garnett wrote:Morning,

We needed depth of squad regardless of competitions, I believe chasing a "marquee" signing, oh I hate that saying, which was never going to happen hampered our progress.
I believe selling Tomkins was a mistake, a better long term option than Ginge imo, I'm happy with the full back situation once Arbeloa is fully fit, I also believe the inability to sell both Valencia and Sakho hampered our upgrade program.

I'm glad we are still grabbing youth from others, lots of positives for the future.
Morning.

And can't argue much with that. My only gripe is I still think we need defense looking at even with Arbeola coming in. But happier now we have more depth.

blackcountryhammer

Re : 12 v 4 your thoughts. on transfers.

Post by blackcountryhammer »

I'd swap tore and nordtveit for a decent centre back other than that I'm happy with our transfers

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer »

Zaza and feghouli would have been considered 2 of the 4 anyway. Plus (like it or not he came out the budget) Lanzini came out player this summer, that's 3.

Arguements for Ayew as I'd certainly count him as a quality player.

We needed depth this summer. Last season we played for 0-0s at villa and Swansea cos Payet & Lanzini was injured, we needed options and we got them.

In hindsight I'd have liked a top CB (Smalling) but during the window, I wasn't fussed. On old forum I said Collins was a mistake getting a new deal but deserved it, however was surprised it was 2 years and not 1, I stand by that. I think our CB investment for next summer may hinder on Burke.

As for original question, No complaints for me over window. I like the way he pipes up AFTER 2 weeks and 3 defeats and not after winning 1-0 v Bournemouth. Very easy thing to do.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

redhammer wrote:Zaza and feghouli would have been considered 2 of the 4 anyway. Plus (like it or not he came out the budget) Lanzini came out player this summer, that's 3.

Arguements for Ayew as I'd certainly count him as a quality player.

We needed depth this summer. Last season we played for 0-0s at villa and Swansea cos Payet & Lanzini was injured, we needed options and we got them.

In hindsight I'd have liked a top CB (Smalling) but during the window, I wasn't fussed. On old forum I said Collins was a mistake getting a new deal but deserved it, however was surprised it was 2 years and not 1, I stand by that. I think our CB investment for next summer may hinder on Burke.

As for original question, No complaints for me over window. I like the way he pipes up AFTER 2 weeks and 3 defeats and not after winning 1-0 v Bournemouth. Very easy thing to do.
Yes very easy especially with the knowledge that we are out of Europe. I'm happyish with the transfers. Still grumpy about the defence side bur maybe we can cope until Jan.

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

Tin hat on.
Once again I will disagree with most on here, I think our transfer business this Summer have been a shambles.
We concentrated on a "Marquee Striker" to the detriment of the squad, when we sold Tonka, we should have brought in a quality CH, possibly Williams or better. Even young Jack in his statement, states we have conceded too many goals since last Xmas, that is nine months ago, yet CH wise we are worse off than last season, we have already conceded 9 goals in 4 PL games this season. There is no excuse, it appears they knew about it, true we have brought two full backs, and hopefully they will help, but Reid and especially Ginge have been poor, which leaves Oxford & Ogbonna.
Bilic still prattles on this week about CL, I think we are miles away. Still that is my honest opinion.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

If we deliberatley strengthened the depth of the squad in order to prepare for a Europa league campaign then they made a complete pigs ear of it . Again.

They knew Lanzini and Payet would be missing from those qualifiers months ago and had no adequate replacement for them and it's that lack of creativity , along with an obviously horrendous pre-season fitness regime that ultimately cost us .

I'm hoping that the signing of Fernandes solves the creativity problem depth wise and now that we have a massive squad we will hopefully be in a position to mount a serious challenge in both cups this season . Our average transfer business , Tomkins out and a totally unfit Arbeola incoming is the current problem .
Bring back Jonathon !