West Ham vs Chelsea Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham vs Chelsea Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:53 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Never mind being as good as Lingard, Benrahma has to prove he's good enough to get a starting place first. Can't see him having any impact but if he does get a start it will be a good time for him to start showing Moyes some reasons for including him in the starting line up.
Against Chelsea - still giving him a fair crack of the whip I see.

How about a run of 4 or 5 games against opponents of mixed capabilities - no - prove yourself against the highest spend club in England or you are a failure!
Because so far he has done nothing to suggest he warrants a run of 4 or 5 games. Surely places in the starting line up should be earned on merit, not given out simply because of the size of a transfer fee. I agree it isn't easy to come in for a cameo appearance or two but he isn't the first player who has had to wait for an opportunity and he won't be the last. Unfortunately so far, at least imo, he has not shown enough to suggest he is ready to start ahead of Bowen or Fornals who would , presumably, be the ones to make way.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 pm
only1salty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:53 am

Against Chelsea - still giving him a fair crack of the whip I see.

How about a run of 4 or 5 games against opponents of mixed capabilities - no - prove yourself against the highest spend club in England or you are a failure!
Because so far he has done nothing to suggest he warrants a run of 4 or 5 games. Surely places in the starting line up should be earned on merit, not given out simply because of the size of a transfer fee. I agree it isn't easy to come in for a cameo appearance or two but he isn't the first player who has had to wait for an opportunity and he won't be the last. Unfortunately so far, at least imo, he has not shown enough to suggest he is ready to start ahead of Bowen or Fornals who would , presumably, be the ones to make way.
Like Fornals, fans can't seem to give players time to settle. Jumping up a league can be hard but our fans are too fickle and expect instant results and every week too. Football just does not work like that.

As it goes, I thought he has been excellent in some games and not so good in others just like Fornals and Bowen. If they were consistent in every game, we would likely not be able to afford them.

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Let's face it - he isnt a Moyes type player.

The two players you compare him to work hard but don't have the ability to beat a man.

Looking through our squad there are 3 players who can beat a man with a piece of skill.

Benrahama, Arthur and Lanzini

Every team needs flair otherwise you are one dimensional and eventually get found out - Burnley a case in point.

I would love him to get a run of games and then a decision could be made but until then we are expecting him to step up in cameo performances or prove yourself against Chelsea :roll:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 pm Let's face it - he isnt a Moyes type player.

The two players you compare him to work hard but don't have the ability to beat a man.

Looking through our squad there are 3 players who can beat a man with a piece of skill.

Benrahama, Arthur and Lanzini

Every team needs flair otherwise you are one dimensional and eventually get found out - Burnley a case in point.

I would love him to get a run of games and then a decision could be made but until then we are expecting him to step up in cameo performances or prove yourself against Chelsea :roll:
Valid point, although for obvious reasons your comment about him not being a Moyes type player is worrying because of the obvious implications regarding who decides where to spend the limited transfer funds available.

And I can also sympathise with Benrahma because confidence is a big thing and being in and out of the team isn't the best way for confidence to be built up. However imo the game against Arsenal demonstrated some pretty basic flaws in his overall game. Hopefully the coaching staff can iron those out. No one should expect him to become a hard running, hard tackling workhorse but I think we are entitled to expect him to perform the basic defensive duties required of all players when we are not in posession.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

I still think Benny has something to offer we have zero talent on the bench Lanzinis finished ,Yarmalenko
so predictable.
He might come good given a run of games in his preferred position whatever that is.

Shrugs shoulders.

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Benrahama is a Salthouse player - its a dwarf signing no doubt.

Thought the rumour was Moyes wanted Eze, dwarf signed Benny.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

only1salty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:54 pm Benrahama is a Salthouse player - its a dwarf signing no doubt.

Any idea how Ezes doing,not that it really matters to us ?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Benrahmas 2 big downfalls really are as mentioned, his defensive duties as per the Arsenal game and his final ball. To me it seems he and the others around him are struggling to build an understanding of what each other are gonna do and therefore his final ball (often after some good work and skill beating a player or 2) goes wayward. If we can sort this understanding between players out then I think he’ll be a major threat for us but until that’s sorted, he’s just a clown who can juggle but more often than not drops one.
COYI!!!

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:56 pm
only1salty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:54 pm Benrahama is a Salthouse player - its a dwarf signing no doubt.

Any idea how Ezes doing,not that it really matters to us ?
He's played in nearly all the Palace games and has managed 3 goals and 3 assists....I would take him over Benny anytime.... always looks lively...

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

If David Moyes can't utilise Benrhma usefully then that says more about Moyes limitations (and we don't need to go over those again) than Benrahma.

However in order to give the lad a chance, start him in the last five games and if he does not show any influential value, then sell him in the summer.