West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:47 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Very well put sir. I think I now know what being a Leeds United fan is like. As you say Moyes has got a, at least imo, very moderate squad to overachieve.

How many of our squad would have a shout at getting into the squad, never mind the actual team, of one of the big fish ? Rice, Soucek, Coufal certainly. Fornals possibly, and Fabianski & Ogbonna if they were 4 or 5 years younger. But unfortunately they're not.

And imo we'd better make the most of it because I think this is as good as it gets. Fans will presumably be back next season so the boo boys will again take centre stage. And a return to relegation scrapping will be back on the agenda.
I personally think Moyes has done a fantastic job considering what he has at his disposal and the c**ts he has to work for.

Years from now,many of us will look back on this season with great fondness,no doubt.

I believe if he was given the right tools,we could compete with some of the bigger clubs on a yearly basis.
And yet people grizzle and whinge about negative tactics, dinosaur thinking and lots of other stuff. And those same people think we are the best fans in the world. And those people wonder why our fan base is ridiculed in the media. You couldn't make it up.could you ? :lol: :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:51 pm

I personally think Moyes has done a fantastic job considering what he has at his disposal and the c**ts he has to work for.

Years from now,many of us will look back on this season with great fondness,no doubt.

I believe if he was given the right tools,we could compete with some of the bigger clubs on a yearly basis.
And yet people grizzle and whinge about negative tactics, dinosaur thinking and lots of other stuff. And those same people think we are the best fans in the world. And those people wonder why our fan base is ridiculed in the media. You couldn't make it up.could you ? :lol: :lol:
That`s the trouble with social media,everyone has an opinion and we now analyse every game in minute detail.

You see a lot of fans praising Lyall and Greenwood,but if you had social media back then,They would have got a lot of criticism and wouldn't have been in the job too long.

Like I said,our fans will look back and say Moyes did a bloody good job.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Oh ffs Whisky, this is a forum.
Surely if we think the tactics were wrong to sit back against Leeds, Red Mancs and Arsenal we are entitled to do so. Doesn’t stop me being a supporter/ fan and wanting the team to improve.

I see Fabianski has come out and said we sat too deep against Arsenal, does that make him negative?

You will always have idiots that will boo and target certain players, that has always happened even in the days of Lyall. They are an unfortunate element and every club has them. But just because some on here question tactics doesn’t make them any less supporters than someone who blindly agrees to everything Moyes does.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Towie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:41 am

Surely if we think the tactics were wrong to sit back against Leeds, Red Mancs and Arsenal we are entitled to do so. Doesn’t stop me being a supporter/ fan and wanting the team to improve.

I see Fabianski has come out and said we sat too deep against Arsenal, does that make him negative?

You will always have idiots that will boo and target certain players, that has always happened even in the days of Lyall. They are an unfortunate element and every club has them. But just because some on here question tactics doesn’t make them any less supporters than someone who blindly agrees to everything Moyes does.
Moyes can go for it when he wants to. Against City he regarded it as a 'free-hit' and we were perhaps unlucky not to come away with a draw. He has to start regarding ALL games that he thinks are unwinnable as free-hits. To defend for 95 minutes will invariably lead to a 1-0 defeat a la Shrek.

And the mindset after Arse pulled one back was clearly a negative one, although results like that can happen for even the most positive teams.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

No one should have any problem listening to constructive criticism and, without wanting to sound patronising, although it will, your points are always backed up with sound arguments. So are a lot of others. But I think you know the sort of posts I'm referring to. Of course we will disagree about team selections, tactics and so on, but, at the end of the day any manager will be judged on where the team finishes in the table. And based on that criteria the Moyes managerial period so far has been an unqualified success. Maybe, with different tactics in certain games it could have been better. Maybe it would have been worse. We don't know.

Based on the above don't you find it odd there are still a sizeable number of people who trot out the "Moyes must go" mantra at every opportunity without giving any credit to the bloke for his transfer dealings and his apparent success in changing the mentality of the club from, let's face it, a club where failure was accepted as the norm . Cards on the table Moyes would not have been my choice of manager. But if I had the run of the club now I would be offering him a new contract and putting any thoughts of replacing him firmly on the back burner.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Not the first time we’ve fucked up a 3 goal lead
I think all West Ham managers have done it ?
Some even managed to lose :lol:

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 am

No one should have any problem listening to constructive criticism and, without wanting to sound patronising, although it will, your points are always backed up with sound arguments. So are a lot of others. But I think you know the sort of posts I'm referring to. Of course we will disagree about team selections, tactics and so on, but, at the end of the day any manager will be judged on where the team finishes in the table. And based on that criteria the Moyes managerial period so far has been an unqualified success. Maybe, with different tactics in certain games it could have been better. Maybe it would have been worse. We don't know.

Based on the above don't you find it odd there are still a sizeable number of people who trot out the "Moyes must go" mantra at every opportunity without giving any credit to the bloke for his transfer dealings and his apparent success in changing the mentality of the club from, let's face it, a club where failure was accepted as the norm . Cards on the table Moyes would not have been my choice of manager. But if I had the run of the club now I would be offering him a new contract and putting any thoughts of replacing him firmly on the back burner.

So who are the “Moyes must go” people on here? Out the outers!
like you he definitely was not my first choice. But having come back and saved us from relegation he deserved his chance.

He has taken it with both hands, and if I was one of the two old tosspots I would already have him secured on a contract.

But just because the team are doing well it shouldn’t be that we cannot question his tactics, as some posters on here seem to think. I don’t like it when the team drops deep as invariant you end up conceding 1, 2 or 3.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:14 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 am

like you he definitely was not my first choice. But having come back and saved us from relegation he deserved his chance.

He has taken it with both hands, and if I was one of the two old tosspots I would already have him secured on a contract.

But just because the team are doing well it shouldn’t be that we cannot question his tactics, as some posters on here seem to think. I don’t like it when the team drops deep as invariant you end up conceding 1, 2 or 3.
There have been some posts on here but tbh I can't be arsed looking for them. But although this is a West Ham forum not every West Ham fan posts on here and if you listen to the phone ins, or read some of the stuff on social media and other forums it is clear a sizeable number of people would be happy if Moyes got the elbow. A minority certainly, but more than would normally be expected from fans of a club that's won nothing for years and is in danger of having the club's best season since 85/86.

Of course criticism is legitimate. I've done it myself. Like you I think our game management is utter gash on occasions. If the kids' team I coach started hoofing the ball away just for it to come straight back it would drive me nuts. And that's a bloody kids match FFS. Not one played by highly paid professionals who ought to be able to retain possession with a bit of teamwork.

But we have to take the whole over the parts don't we ? Who knows if we'd have beaten Man United with a more positive approach . or if we'd gone for the throat against Liverpool we'd have another 3 points in the bag. But we have to consider the other alternatives as well of course. If we hadn't placed the emphasis on defence there are possibly other occasions where the 3 points we did get would have been one, or maybe none.

Despite what happened on Sunday our defence is as good as I can recall it ever being for many years. And any coach worth is salt will want to get the defensive side of the game right first. Even Guardiola has addressed the defensive deficiencies that held City back last season. And Tuchel has brought Chelsea back into serious contention for honours by getting the defensive side of the game right which was something that seemed to elude Lampard.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:39 pm
Towie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:14 pm

There have been some posts on here but tbh I can't be arsed looking for them. But although this is a West Ham forum not every West Ham fan posts on here and if you listen to the phone ins, or read some of the stuff on social media and other forums it is clear a sizeable number of people would be happy if Moyes got the elbow. A minority certainly, but more than would normally be expected from fans of a club that's won nothing for years and is in danger of having the club's best season since 85/86.

Of course criticism is legitimate. I've done it myself. Like you I think our game management is utter gash on occasions. If the kids' team I coach started hoofing the ball away just for it to come straight back it would drive me nuts. And that's a bloody kids match FFS. Not one played by highly paid professionals who ought to be able to retain possession with a bit of teamwork.

But we have to take the whole over the parts don't we ? Who knows if we'd have beaten Man United with a more positive approach . or if we'd gone for the throat against Liverpool we'd have another 3 points in the bag. But we have to consider the other alternatives as well of course. If we hadn't placed the emphasis on defence there are possibly other occasions where the 3 points we did get would have been one, or maybe none.

Despite what happened on Sunday our defence is as good as I can recall it ever being for many years. And any coach worth is salt will want to get the defensive side of the game right first. Even Guardiola has addressed the defensive deficiencies that held City back last season. And Tuchel has brought Chelsea back into serious contention for honours by getting the defensive side of the game right which was something that seemed to elude Lampard.
Anybody that wants Moyes gone,either knows nothing about football and West Ham or is a penny short of a pound.Yeah,you get them on them Facebook forums,where quite a big majority know nothing about the game..

Trouble with social media,there is a lot of follow follow..People without minds of their own.Eg.Mark Noble should be in the team because his a legend /Mr West Ham.....Absolute b*llocks!

At least on here you get a balanced view on here,even if Whiskyman thinks his right about everything :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:59 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Anybody that wants Moyes gone,either knows nothing about football and West Ham or is a penny short of a pound.Yeah,you get them on them Facebook forums,where quite a big majority know nothing about the game..

Trouble with social media,there is a lot of follow follow..People without minds of their own.Eg.Mark Noble should be in the team because his a legend /Mr West Ham.....Absolute b*llocks!

At least on here you get a balanced view on here,even if Whiskyman thinks his right about everything :lol:
There's a lot of balanced views on most of the forums, including this one. But there's also some shit ones that haven't been thought through.

And I don't think I'm right about everything. I know I am. ;)