Man Utd vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Ibbyham

Man Utd vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Ibbyham »

Following our gritty display against Leeds, hope our attacking side to do better to hold the ball longer and stop giving it away to the opponents otherwise Man Utd will have a cricket score against us if we play like the 2nd half against Leeds.

Lingard won't be playing as he is on loan from Man Utd so I expect Moyes to revert to the 5-4-1 systems with Ben Johnson on left winger side.

Fabianski

Coufal
Diop
Dawson
Cresswell
Johnson

Bowen/Benrahma
Soucek
Rice
Fornals

Antonio

Hope we will perform better like we did against Man City and please NO slow starter as we were lucky not to be 2-0 behind against Leeds. This is a tough game and everyone need to keep their feet on the ground

% Chance of West Ham win - 10%
% Chance of a draw - 30%
% Chance of Man Utd win - 60%

We need to keep our level with the big boys and hope to nick a goal from Dawson or Soucek at set-pieces.

COYI whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

OZHAMMER

Re: Man Utd vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by OZHAMMER »

Good job Ibbs.

I had a bit of confidence in getting a result from this game. Then Man U rolled City, and we played pretty ordinarily, so that confidence is shot.

I’d be happy with a far improved performance, irrespective of the result.

JayK

Post by JayK »

I think a point will be good for us. Would be happy with that. We start like we did last night it could be a score line after 20 minutes like the 1st spuds game this season and I wouldn’t fancy a bet on that kinda comeback
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider »

Will United get a penalty....

a) 1st-15th minute
b) 16th-30th minute
c) 31st-45th minute
d)46th-60th minute
e)61st-75th minute
f) 76th-90th minute
g) injury time if they aren't winning
h) they'll get more than one penalty

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

We've played them twice already and lost both games. BUT. Imo we should have had the home game done and dusted by half time. Better finishing and we would have. And the game at Old Trafford we could easily have snatched a result there. So, yes, it will be difficult but by no means is it beyond us to possibly snatch some sort of result.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:59 am We've played them twice already and lost both games. BUT. Imo we should have had the home game done and dusted by half time. Better finishing and we would have. And the game at Old Trafford we could easily have snatched a result there. So, yes, it will be difficult but by no means is it beyond us to possibly snatch some sort of result.

I’m expecting more of the same at OT with probably a similar result .

You’ll be able to tell by his pre-match presser .

If he changes his ways , plays it positive, I’ll take back all ive complained about .

I’m confident he won’t though .

Imo he has to . It IS a cup final .
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:07 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:59 am We've played them twice already and lost both games. BUT. Imo we should have had the home game done and dusted by half time. Better finishing and we would have. And the game at Old Trafford we could easily have snatched a result there. So, yes, it will be difficult but by no means is it beyond us to possibly snatch some sort of result.

I’m expecting more of the same at OT with probably a similar result .

You’ll be able to tell by his pre-match presser .

If he changes his ways , plays it positive, I’ll take back all ive complained about .

I’m confident he won’t though .

Imo he has to . It IS a cup final .
Man United are basically a counter attacking side and they are very good at it. They've beaten City away 3 times in a erow and not many can claim to have done that. The way to play them is NOT to go gung ho, which is playing to their strength, but to set up your own counter attacking strategy which reduces the impact their pacey players, like James & Rashford for example can have on the game imo.

An emphasis on defence doesn't have to be negative. Look at Chelsea since Tuchel came along. Under Lampard they were a defensive shambles. But since Tuchel's arrival I've resurrected my hopes of a decent result with my bet of a top three finish. Imo Moyes is doing the same thing. I'm not madly impressed with our game management when we are leading in that , imo, our set up is too prone to hand possession to the opposition too easily. Hopefully we will evolve into a side that keeps possession, instead of relying excessively on the upfield hoof to relieve pressure. But it's still a work in progress and I'm enjoying the season so far.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

massive game for me and my utd loving family and many pals, as whisky said we should have got something out of both league & cup games but poor finishing let us down. without lingard we lack a clinical finisher and fear we may struggle other than the obvious set pieces.

despite beating city utd's previous outings have been a bore fest so there is some hope, but think we will maintain the hoof up field to antonio when in doubt and surrender possession.

i'd fuckin love to get something out of this for nothing other than family bragging rights and moyes needs to get this top 6 monkey off his back (not incl spuds)..its been a fuckin while.

would take a draw and fancy our chances at le arse more.

think the team pretty much picks itself other than benny or johnson

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Man Utd has the most penalty awarded this season so we have to be extra careful and our attacking third need to do better in ball controlling as we always kept giving the ball away too often as Man Utd can punished you like a dart.

We played TWICE against Man Utd which the PL was ruined when the linesman and crap VAR ignore the ball went out of play en-route to Pogba goal. Moyes need to put 5-4-1 for defensive counter to translate into 3-4-3 in attacking counter like we did against Leicester.

All I don't want that Man Utd players to do play-acting to get lots of free-kick near our penalty area and getting penalty. A point I would be happy but Antonio need to improve his ball controlling and Fornals, Benrahma and Bowen as well to improve. Also we need to stop having slow start as this will make the game difficult. I had a few Man Utd supporters mainly from my cousins and they always laugh at me when they beat West Ham so hope that will change.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

brookingslovechild wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 pm massive game for me and my utd loving family and many pals, as whisky said we should have got something out of both league & cup games but poor finishing let us down. without lingard we lack a clinical finisher and fear we may struggle other than the obvious set pieces.

despite beating city utd's previous outings have been a bore fest so there is some hope, but think we will maintain the hoof up field to antonio when in doubt and surrender possession.

i'd fuckin love to get something out of this for nothing other than family bragging rights and moyes needs to get this top 6 monkey off his back (not incl spuds)..its been a fuckin while.

would take a draw and fancy our chances at le arse more.

think the team pretty much picks itself other than benny or johnson
City can only play one way and it has to be said United set up very well and their game plan worked a treat. But I also watched their game against Palace who, as we all no, are the complete opposite to Man City. United didn't seem to have a clue how to break them down. For me that is the way we should set up. We are better than Palace and should be able to create openings, but forget all this bollocks about attacking football all the time. It's a recipe for mid table mediocrity, at best.