28 years today the Legend left us.

Chat about anything football related here!
Brookbonds73

Re: 28 years today the Legend left us.

Post by Brookbonds73 »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:35 pm Bobby Moore was my first hero.

Has long as I can remember,Bobby's name was mentioned in our household.

When I was 6,my Dad took me to the Bobby Moore Shop and I chose a Bobby Rosette.My Dad has a photo of me and my younger brother in our West Ham shirts(were rather big :lol: ),with the rosette on my shirt.

I begged my Dad to see him play.I went a few months later in 1971 and see him in the flesh for the first time.

I am not really an emotional person,but the day he died,I had tears running down my face.That what he meant to me.

Still miss the awesome fella.
I think it's fair to say that when we played Wolves in the next match after his death, there wasn't many dry eyes in our ground. When Geoff and Martin brought out that shirt of flowers with the number 6 on it, I've never seen such an outpouring of emotion.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

palerider

Post by palerider »

I was at that Wolves match. Their fans were a credit to them.

Not a dry eye in the house.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Went to Upton when found out,tied my scarf to the railings,my very first Irons brought scarf, a silk one..(my Nan Knitted my
very first one)
Backwards and forwards between Ground ,Boleyn,Duke,and Queens...
Endless stream of Fans,paying respects,very emotional day,got slowly pissed,prob not the best idea.
Was at Wolves game as well...what love for Sir Bob..amazing..

Often wondered what happened to my scarf,I know they selected bits and pieces for the memorial in the ground.

h69

Post by h69 »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:31 am

When I was 6,my Dad took me to the Bobby Moore Shop and I chose a Bobby Rosette.My Dad has a photo of me and my younger brother in our West Ham shirts(were rather big :lol: ),with the rosette on my shirt.

I begged my Dad to see him play.I went a few months later in 1971 and see him in the flesh for the first time.

I am not really an emotional person,but the day he died,I had tears running down my face.That what he meant to me.

I think it's fair to say that when we played Wolves in the next match after his death, there wasn't many dry eyes in our ground. When Geoff and Martin brought out that shirt of flowers with the number 6 on it, I've never seen such an outpouring of emotion.
I remember it well. I have kept only two old newspapers over my life.....one when I was very little was given to me which was about the moon landings, the other was one I collected on the day Mooro died. Still have 'em both.

That day of the Wolves game and the sea of flowers outside the ground was truly heartbreaking.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:31 am

My whole family went to that game.A surreal day.I remember a Wolves fan getting out their end and laying a big reef from them on the centre circle..A lovely touch.

Ticker Boyce

Post by Ticker Boyce »

Bit late joining in with this one. Our first game after Bobby died was away to Sunderland at Roker Park on the 27th February 1993, I was there along with a mate who I still go to matches with (when it's allowed). It was freezing cold and snowing, typical North East, the howling wind alone would have brought a tear to the eye. It was very sombre, with an impeccably-observed minute's silence and a wreath laid on the pitch. The match itself was a dull 0-0, I'm not sure either team had their hearts in it and the normally raucous home fans at the Roker End were pretty quiet. Of course we were all able to pay our respects at the shrine at the ground and at the subsequent home game against Wolves. Still miss Bobby now and I tell younger football fans (whoever they support) that yes, he was really as good as they say.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Ticker Boyce wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:42 pm Bit late joining in with this one. Our first game after Bobby died was away to Sunderland at Roker Park on the 27th February 1993, I was there along with a mate who I still go to matches with (when it's allowed). It was freezing cold and snowing, typical North East, the howling wind alone would have brought a tear to the eye. It was very sombre, with an impeccably-observed minute's silence and a wreath laid on the pitch. The match itself was a dull 0-0, I'm not sure either team had their hearts in it and the normally raucous home fans at the Roker End were pretty quiet. Of course we were all able to pay our respects at the shrine at the ground and at the subsequent home game against Wolves. Still miss Bobby now and I tell younger football fans (whoever they support) that yes, he was really as good as they say.
Nice post mate.... :D