How West Ham became great again

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: How West Ham became great again

Post by Whiskyman »

garnett wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:45 am Morning, see what happens when you dont log on for a while, you miss titles like this one, now I have a mission, to find out when we were first "great", I can remember great moments great performances but have never heard us being called a great team by anyone, and sorry , but this team is far from great imo.
We've only ever, at least in my lifetime, come close to being "great" once. 1985/86 we rinished third and at least imo we played some lovely football that year, had a number of international class players in the team, and went into the last weekend of the season still in with a chance of actually winning the league. A few "great" performances since then and we've been able to watch the (very) occasional great player wearing our colours. But most of the time pretty bang average fare on the table.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:26 am
garnett wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:45 am Morning, see what happens when you dont log on for a while, you miss titles like this one, now I have a mission, to find out when we were first "great", I can remember great moments great performances but have never heard us being called a great team by anyone, and sorry , but this team is far from great imo.
We've only ever, at least in my lifetime, come close to being "great" once. 1985/86 we rinished third and at least imo we played some lovely football that year, had a number of international class players in the team, and went into the last weekend of the season still in with a chance of actually winning the league. A few "great" performances since then and we've been able to watch the (very) occasional great player wearing our colours. But most of the time pretty bang average fare on the table.
80/81 side was the best I have seen...86 a fabulous side,but it never had quite the entertainment value of the side that had just won the FA Cup,walked Division 2,reached a League Cup Final and were beaten by one of the greatest sides ever to enter the Cup Winners Cup in the Quarter Finals,Tblisi.

I went to a lot of games in both the 81 and 86 year.The latter had a bit more steel about them,but for pure football,81 for me.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

I would add the 64 and 65 team’s to the very decent side categories.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:34 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:26 am

80/81 side was the best I have seen...86 a fabulous side,but it never had quite the entertainment value of the side that had just won the FA Cup,walked Division 2,reached a League Cup Final and were beaten by one of the greatest sides ever to enter the Cup Winners Cup in the Quarter Finals,Tblisi.

I went to a lot of games in both the 81 and 86 year.The latter had a bit more steel about them,but for pure football,81 for me.
Reason I put the 86 team top of the pile (a lot played in both sides of course) is that the 80/81 side played theirs in Div 2. We were quite obviously a class above that division apart from, for some odd reason, Luton who we lost both games against. The 86 side on the other hand had to compete against better opposition.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:28 am I would add the 64 and 65 team’s to the very decent side categories.
A bit before my time Dwayne. But those who were around back then seem to agree. Although for some reason our league performances back in the 60s doesn't suggest they were anything special. Which is very odd considering we had 3 world cup winners in the team.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:46 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:28 am I would add the 64 and 65 team’s to the very decent side categories.
A bit before my time Dwayne. But those who were around back then seem to agree. Although for some reason our league performances back in the 60s doesn't suggest they were anything special. Which is very odd considering we had 3 world cup winners in the team.
Agree absolutely fucking dross in the league but a bit special in our three cup winning triumphs

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:44 am
terrya1965 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:34 am

Reason I put the 86 team top of the pile (a lot played in both sides of course) is that the 80/81 side played theirs in Div 2. We were quite obviously a class above that division apart from, for some odd reason, Luton who we lost both games against. The 86 side on the other hand had to compete against better opposition.
If only we didn't have a poor start to 86(one win 7).we would have won it.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

In the 1960's,we scored goals for fun.Would love to have been around to witness some of that.Just a bit too late,as I started to attend in 1971 at the age of 6.

MalcytheIron

Post by MalcytheIron »

BCHammer wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:09 pm James IMO is one of the very best football YouTubers in the world. This video is spot on and he backs everything up with stats - some don't like them, but they are interesting and you simply do not get this sort of content from the TV analysts. It is good to get an objective view (he is a QPR fan) and for Moyes and the players to get some recognition that the position we find ourselves in is not just a fluke.

Great analysis and some very revealing data especially re Tomas , all very well constructed and presented , great piece of work !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

MalcytheIron wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:52 pm
BCHammer wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:09 pm James IMO is one of the very best football YouTubers in the world. This video is spot on and he backs everything up with stats - some don't like them, but they are interesting and you simply do not get this sort of content from the TV analysts. It is good to get an objective view (he is a QPR fan) and for Moyes and the players to get some recognition that the position we find ourselves in is not just a fluke.

Great analysis and some very revealing data especially re Tomas , all very well constructed and presented , great piece of work !
Absolute. Some people are of the opinion 'it aint what you say it's the way that you say it' when it comes to Youtubing whereas others think it's actually what you say...which is a strangely unfashionable...