Champions League Expansion

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Champions League Expansion

Post by terrya1965 »

Been spoke about a few times over the last few years.They want to have 36 teams instead of the 32 and play 10 games in the group stages instead of 6.

The piece that sticks out for me is that "Big Teams" can still enter even if they don't qualify through League position.That`s a monoply and isn`t right in my book.

Funny enough,this is Real Madrid's and Barcelona's idea.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/02/04/ue ... n-proposal

The PL is ok,but it`s the others that struggle to make the finances we do in our League.Personally,I think it suits the 2 teams mentioned above,because they`ll make the most money from it.

BlackDiamond

Re: Champions League Expansion

Post by BlackDiamond »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 pm Been spoke about a few times over the last few years.They want to have 36 teams instead of the 32 and play 10 games in the group stages instead of 6.

The piece that sticks out for me is that "Big Teams" can still enter even if they don't qualify through League position.That`s a monoply and isn`t right in my book.

The PL is ok,but it`s the others that struggle to make the finances we do in our League.Personally,I think it suits the 2 teams mentioned above,because they`ll make the most money from it.
Are Barcelona part of the elite anymore ? The last three seasons they have been thrashed by Liverpool, the Germans and now the French

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 pm Been spoke about a few times over the last few years.They want to have 36 teams instead of the 32 and play 10 games in the group stages instead of 6.

It's actually nothing to do with either Real Madrid or Barcelona. It's an idea originally put forward by Andrea Agnelli who is the President/Owner of Juventus. The idea being to safeguard the so called "elite" from dropping out of the Champions League in it's present format. Real Madrid, along with PSG, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and, believe it or not, Arsenal, support the scheme. As do Juventus and the two Milan clubs. Barcelona probably will although at the moment they're in the middle of a presidential election campaign so are neither for nor against.

It's actually not a new idea, although the new format is something that's only recently been suggested. It's been around since Ken Bates owned Chelsea. I think the PL clubs in favour at that time were called the "Gang of Four", but that now seems to have risen to 6.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

If this is happened, then too many games for the big boys and they want the Premier League to cut down to 18 clubs instead of 20 to ease fixture congestion and that disadvantage to other clubs so I preferred the Champions League as it is.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:19 pm

It's actually nothing to do with either Real Madrid or Barcelona. It's an idea originally put forward by Andrea Agnelli who is the President/Owner of Juventus. The idea being to safeguard the so called "elite" from dropping out of the Champions League in it's present format. Real Madrid, along with PSG, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and, believe it or not, Arsenal, support the scheme. As do Juventus and the two Milan clubs. Barcelona probably will although at the moment they're in the middle of a presidential election campaign so are neither for nor against.

It's actually not a new idea, although the new format is something that's only recently been suggested. It's been around since Ken Bates owned Chelsea. I think the PL clubs in favour at that time were called the "Gang of Four", but that now seems to have risen to 6.
I am only taking a few quotes from the article Whiskyman.

Neither you or I were present at the original meeting,so we'll never know mate whose idea it was,will we?

I would like to see the big clubs piss off and join a Super League..The PL would become more interesting and competitive. The likes of Man U and Liverpool would want to comeback when they don`t win f*ck all and there are hardly any away fans present after the first 2 years of initial excitement .Their fans would demand it.Then we could tell them to.."F*CK OFF!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:09 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:19 pm

Neither you or I were present at the original meeting,so we'll never know mate whose idea it was,will we?

I would like to see the big clubs piss off and join a Super League..The PL would become more interesting and competitive. The likes of Man U and Liverpool would want to comeback when they don`t win f*ck all and there are hardly any away fans present after the first 2 years of initial excitement .Their fans would demand it.Then we could tell them to.."F*CK OFF!
That's the whole point Terry. We do know. The original meetings took place, as I say, when Bates was still the owner of Chelsea and one publication, I think it was the Italian Gazzetta della Sport published the minutes. They were well reported in the press all round Europe at the time, not just some recycled news dredged up by some wannabe on his website.

Problem is, as we're seeing with, among other things, all the crap about vaccines and so forth, there are a lot of people out there who believe every word they see.

But of course every major league in Europe wouldn't want their top clubs to leave. All very well telling the likes of Liverpool and Man United to fuck off but how much do you think anyone would pay for what was left ? Not a lot would be my guess. Imo the so called Super League will never happen. It would have happened back in 2004 or whenever it was if it was going to get off the ground.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:53 pm

That's the whole point Terry. We do know. The original meetings took place, as I say, when Bates was still the owner of Chelsea and one publication, I think it was the Italian Gazzetta della Sport published the minutes. They were well reported in the press all round Europe at the time, not just some recycled news dredged up by some wannabe on his website.

Problem is, as we're seeing with, among other things, all the crap about vaccines and so forth, there are a lot of people out there who believe every word they see.

But of course every major league in Europe wouldn't want their top clubs to leave. All very well telling the likes of Liverpool and Man United to fuck off but how much do you think anyone would pay for what was left ? Not a lot would be my guess. Imo the so called Super League will never happen. It would have happened back in 2004 or whenever it was if it was going to get off the ground.
Your suggesting that if the cream leave with all the footballers that the neutrals most want to watch, then the product that's left won't have quite the Oomph.

You could have MOTD highlights: Norwich v Brighton, Fulham v Burnley , WBA v C. Palace,Bournemouth v Leeds...and all the other fucking rubbish

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 am

Your suggesting that if the cream leave with all the footballers that the neutrals most want to watch, then the product that's left won't have quite the Oomph.

You could have MOTD highlights: Norwich v Brighton, Fulham v Burnley , WBA v C. Palace,Bournemouth v Leeds...and all the other fucking rubbish
Apparently Crystal Palace and Brighton play soon and whichever channel is showing it is bigging the game up as the M23 derby. I'm guessing the average TV viewer in Beijing or Seattle hasn't got a clue what the M23 is, never mind where it is. I can remember when Charlton were in the PL our game against them was rolled out as the Blackwall Tunnel derby. :lol:

Personally I took the more leisurely Woolwich ferry across. And convinced some gullible prat in my local that weekend there was a duty free facility on board. I kid you not.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:31 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 am

Apparently Crystal Palace and Brighton play soon and whichever channel is showing it is bigging the game up as the M23 derby. I'm guessing the average TV viewer in Beijing or Seattle hasn't got a clue what the M23 is, never mind where it is. I can remember when Charlton were in the PL our game against them was rolled out as the Blackwall Tunnel derby. :lol:

Personally I took the more leisurely Woolwich ferry across. And convinced some gullible prat in my local that weekend there was a duty free facility on board. I kid you not.
😂😂😂 comedy gold
COYI!!!

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter »

I remember Bates giving it large about how Chelsea had to be in the super league and not long after they nearly went bust before the Russian came and bailed them out.