Michail Antonio---Stick or Twist

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Re: Michail Antonio---Stick or Twist

Post by palerider »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 pm The smart, footballing move would to be to twist. He's 31 next month and once he loses his pace - which he will, 90% of his worth at PL level is gone. Add to that his suspect hamstrings and much as I hate to say it he could end up just being a wasted squad place.

I look at Aaron Lennon and see similarities to be honest, just that spuds were smart enough to get rid once he started to wane. Everton persevered with him probably for a season too long and he was pointless at Burnley once what little pace he had left disappeared. He's now languishing in the Turkish league having one assist to his name in 20 odd games.

Look, I really like Antonio and love what he gives to the side but we're in danger of keeping a player on the books purely because of who he is is rather than what he can do for the team. I'd hate it if he ended up in a similar situation to Noble where pretty much everyone groans the minute he steps on the pitch.
Correct about the pace. But not all lose it. Steptoe seems to be getting quicker at 34.

Worth keeping imo if only as an impact sub.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Me as Manager ,much as I love and rate the guy,no way is he starter for me next season,would tell him we're getting
someone else in.... :lol: as if....and he'll be a welcome squad player if he wants,but fine if he wants a word with his
agent about moving on...can't honestly see where he would go,or who would want him tbh...A promoted club maybe...

But as always the contract in place dictates what happens,he's just signed a new one,so he's here for a while longer,
I'm Happy with that,but he's a Bencher for me,can't build a side around a guy that only plays 50% of the time,Yarmo moving
on will free up space in the squad.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Stick, good squad member and can play anywhere across the forward line.

Definately worth a place on bench and a starter for those Team we play where you know he can bully their CB’s.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Stick.
Flairon

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Stick,fucked ourselves giving him a long contact but will do a job if / when needed from bench
Has very little sell on value imo with his hams.

He’s a keeper.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:36 am Stick,fucked ourselves giving him a long contact but will do a job if / when needed from bench

He’s a keeper.
He’s a keeper too? Is there any position he can’t play?

Edit: actually, wasn’t there a game when he did go between the sticks for us or am I just making that up?
COYI!!!

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

JayK wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:40 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:36 am Stick,fucked ourselves giving him a long contact but will do a job if / when needed from bench

He’s a keeper.
He’s a keeper too? Is there any position he can’t play?

Edit: actually, wasn’t there a game when he did go between the sticks for us or am I just making that up?
Fuck knows,making it up I reckon
;)

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Stick, he has been loyal and always puts in 100% effort, it is hard to find players like that particularly when times are not so good. It seems likely he will beat Di Canio's goal record, it will probably be another 20 years before anyone gets close to that.

And there isn't anyone else who has the cajones to post what he did on twitter. Love it. And him.

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter »

I'd sell if price was right. As said ain't going to get fitter and misses too many games now. But ain't we given him a new contract ? If we have guss we're stuck with him if he breaks down.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

It’s an abysmal bit of business financially cos we all know what’s going to happen .

But it ain’t my money .
Bring back Jonathon !