Putting This Season Into Perspective,(League)

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Putting This Season Into Perspective,(League)

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:16 am

That is pretty much my take on it. The only time in all my years supporting the club I've been optimistic about our prospects was at the end of 1985/86. The nucleus of a very good side that made a consistent challenge for the league title. I genuinely thought, silly , gullible cunt that I was back then, that the club would add to the squad and bring in just two or three decent players to beef up the squad to build on our challenge.

That optimism lasted until the day we decided to sell Paul Goddard, a few weeks into the season, and weaken the squad, rather than doing the sensible thing. And it's been the same way ever since and will probably continue being for the very foreseeable future.
Of course . The same thing happened during (jan) and after the Payet season .
Taking this January just gone into consideration I think it’s fair to say that there is a pattern emerging .

With clubs likely to be clamouring for the signatures of Rice and Soucek and the likely loss of Lingard , alongside our wonderful boards , shall we say reluctance to invest the clubs money , I fully expect our squad to be weaker going into next season regardless of where we finish in the league this.

Just in case there’s anybody out there who hasn’t seen me quote our chairman in the summer of 1986 before :lol: here it is again .
“You’ve just finished 3rd in the league John . Why on earth would you need any new players ?”.
100%
COYI!!!

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Flairon wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:42 am Enjoying it whilst it lasts, but remain eternally pessimistic.
That is pretty much my take on it. The only time in all my years supporting the club I've been optimistic about our prospects was at the end of 1985/86. The nucleus of a very good side that made a consistent challenge for the league title. I genuinely thought, silly , gullible cunt that I was back then, that the club would add to the squad and bring in just two or three decent players to beef up the squad to build on our challenge.

That optimism lasted until the day we decided to sell Paul Goddard, a few weeks into the season, and weaken the squad, rather than doing the sensible thing. And it's been the same way ever since and will probably continue being for the very foreseeable future.
So my pessimism is justified!?! 😆
Flairon

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Flairon wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:08 am

I've never found my pessimism to be unjustified. But, cheer up and look on the bright side. Optimists, paericularly when it comes to West Ham, usually end up getting a knee in the cojones, whereas us pessimists, when we get surprises, end up smiling.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

:lol:
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 am
Flairon wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:08 am

I've never found my pessimism to be unjustified. But, cheer up and look on the bright side. Optimists, paericularly when it comes to West Ham, usually end up getting a knee in the cojones, whereas us pessimists, when we get surprises, end up smiling.
😛😜😝
Flairon

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Flairon wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am :lol:
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:10 am

😛😜😝
On the optimism front the FA are in discussion with government to allow some fan representation at the Cup Final in May. The UK 'roadmap' out of lockdown in being formulated and April-May are the months under consideration for re-opening of domestic hospitality.

The pessimism front says 'whoa' as a New Scientist article - two days ago - reports on a discovery in California of a new hybrid miix of two variants.
The 'UK variant (Kent) the most transmissable strain has recombined with the California variant (Oscar) which evades the body antibody defences.

This new recombinant (Hollywood) is causing some concern as this super-virus is just the thing that scientists had been looking for.

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

85/86 was only 2 points a win?
Covid in the Boardroom

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

jameskel wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:09 pm 85/86 was only 2 points a win?
Changed in the 1981/82 Season to 3 points.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am
Flairon wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am :lol:

😛😜😝
On the optimism front the FA are in discussion with government to allow some fan representation at the Cup Final in May. The UK 'roadmap' out of lockdown in being formulated and April-May are the months under consideration for re-opening of domestic hospitality.

The pessimism front says 'whoa' as a New Scientist article - two days ago - reports on a discovery in California of a new hybrid miix of two variants.
The 'UK variant (Kent) the most transmissable strain has recombined with the California variant (Oscar) which evades the body antibody defences.

This new recombinant (Hollywood) is causing some concern as this super-virus is just the thing that scientists had been looking for.
So by what scientific testing method has it been decided that allowing people to watch a sporting event at Wembley in May is safer than allowing people to watch similar sporting events elsewhere in the country in April ? And please don't say it's all about travel. As anyone who has ever been to Wembley knows the place is an absolute hellhole to travel to and the amount of mingling and standing next to the great unwashed on the tube will surely be a lot more than a similar event at, sat, the iconic LS , Anfield or Villa Park.

Or fucking anywhere else for that matter.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:26 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am

So by what scientific testing method has it been decided that allowing people to watch a sporting event at Wembley in May is safer than allowing people to watch similar sporting events elsewhere in the country in April ? And please don't say it's all about travel. As anyone who has ever been to Wembley knows the place is an absolute hellhole to travel to and the amount of mingling and standing next to the great unwashed on the tube will surely be a lot more than a similar event at, sat, the iconic LS , Anfield or Villa Park.

Or fucking anywhere else for that matter.
The plan is to use the prestige of the Wembley Cup final as the trigger to reopen the football calendar for fan attendance. Whether this would be 'limited' or full attendance is I suppose the debating point.

At this stage it's not really up to what people think is sensible, it's up to how many different variants we have flying around the country in 12 weeks and
how protective the current vaccines still are.

Or perhaps more pertinent - how good are our border controls :o

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

According to C & H earlier today, that sky sports prediction of who will finish, the computer predicted West Ham will finish 5th and only missed out to Chelsea on goal -difference for Champions League while most pundits predicted we finished 7th.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.