Jesse Lingard....yay or nay ?....

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Jesse Lingard....yay or nay ?....

Post by JayK »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:31 am
OZHAMMER wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:17 am

Well, that’s my line of thinking too. As long as the ball is in the back of the net, do we really care who scored it?
And the stiker situation would be further eased if Benrahma could find his potential. His involvements have been restricted as I don't get the impression that David Moyes has much confidence in him.

I would have thought he would be worth a bit of investment in time, as the raw materials seem to be in place. At least use him for 30 mins when Bowen tires. These 5 min end of game cameos don't help him or the team.
And a waste of £30mil for 5 minute cameo appearances.
Word up 🤟🏽
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

tassiehammer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:07 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 am Tbh I think Lingard will end up at wherever Lingard wants to end up. Hopefully he feels settled at our gaff.
If he was a free agent maybe but he still has 1 year left on a man u contract, I read. If true then they'll have something to say about where he goes.
I'm not up with the info on a loan with an option to buy like we did with Soucek, has someone dropped the ball with JL or was we just happy for a loan through desperation? You can imagine the headlines next season if we're back fighting relegation without him.
As Dwayne has pointed out in a later post apparently we wanted an option to buy but Man United didn't want to play ball.

Not sure if Man United could actually force through a move elsewhere if Lingard himself didn't want it. At the end of the day, as Real Madrid are finding out with Bale, if a player doesn't want to go somewhere he won't. The player's contract still has to be honoured.

Arsenal are apparently monitoring the situation closely but I would like to feel if we are in Europe next season and they aren't it could have a bearing on where he ends up.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

tassiehammer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:07 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 am Tbh I think Lingard will end up at wherever Lingard wants to end up. Hopefully he feels settled at our gaff.
If he was a free agent maybe but he still has 1 year left on a man u contract, I read. If true then they'll have something to say about where he goes.
I'm not up with the info on a loan with an option to buy like we did with Soucek, has someone dropped the ball with JL or was we just happy for a loan through desperation? You can imagine the headlines next season if we're back fighting relegation without him.
Maybe but ultimately they can't stop him going where he wants if they don't want him going through the motions in the reserves collecting money for a year.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

They can sell him to us for a decent fee, or give him away a year later. I don't think they're that stupid.

He will go to the club he wants to, and right now we are in pole position. Europe would pretty much guarantee that.

garnett

Post by garnett »

h69 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 am
garnett wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 am

It`s a pity the season doesn`t end after 30 games, those of us without C&B glasses will still be shitting ourselves at 3 - 0 up.
Ok so we may finish 6th or 7th, I am not saying we will definitely finish 4th but Moyes is doing something right here given the fact we have 55 fucking points rather than the usual 35 at this stage..... still a cracking season whatever happens. Meanwhile 'young and progressive' Parker is slowly and surely taking his team down.

3 goals scored in each of the last 3 games. People wanted entertainment and our games are far from dull !!!
Morning h69,
We certainly have different visions on how OUR football club should be run and in which direction, but I believe our goal is the same.

Firstly, I will concede that moyes is doing something right, he has failed so many times in his managerial career without making concessions he had to eventually. Yes I do believe Scott Parker will become a good manager with time and backing as will others from his era, the future IMO
Einstein, Insanity; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. His support team has been great IMO.

Finally, EUROPE, I`ve stopped watching the video`s as I`ve said I dont own C&B glasses, WE as a football club are nowhere near ready to compete in Europe, we can`t even compete on a domestic level, am I the only one that remembers the Astra embarrassment, we wasnt ready then and we arent now.
Moyes is now running what`s left of a small squad into the ground, expect more injuries and suspensions.

I do hope I`m wrong, but I fear this season will be a one off, will Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Everton and Wolves be as bad next season ? I don`t believe so, I also believe Leeds Villa and Southampton will invest big time, WILL WE whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

garnett wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:16 am

Ok so we may finish 6th or 7th, I am not saying we will definitely finish 4th but Moyes is doing something right here given the fact we have 55 fucking points rather than the usual 35 at this stage..... still a cracking season whatever happens. Meanwhile 'young and progressive' Parker is slowly and surely taking his team down.

3 goals scored in each of the last 3 games. People wanted entertainment and our games are far from dull !!!
Morning h69,
We certainly have different visions on how OUR football club should be run and in which direction, but I believe our goal is the same.

Firstly, I will concede that moyes is doing something right, he has failed so many times in his managerial career without making concessions he had to eventually. Yes I do believe Scott Parker will become a good manager with time and backing as will others from his era, the future IMO
Einstein, Insanity; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. His support team has been great IMO.

Finally, EUROPE, I`ve stopped watching the video`s as I`ve said I dont own C&B glasses, WE as a football club are nowhere near ready to compete in Europe, we can`t even compete on a domestic level, am I the only one that remembers the Astra embarrassment, we wasnt ready then and we arent now.
Moyes is now running what`s left of a small squad into the ground, expect more injuries and suspensions.

I do hope I`m wrong, but I fear this season will be a one off, will Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Everton and Wolves be as bad next season ? I don`t believe so, I also believe Leeds Villa and Southampton will invest big time, WILL WE whufc_crest
I wouldn't describe Moyes' tenure at Everton as failure. Whilst I agree the media machine overhyped his performances there to the extent he was regarded as having been successful, by Everton's recent standards he did manage to raise their profile. Imo they are another club whose fans have ideas above their station. They haven't been a seriously relevant force in football since the 80s.

I agree with you that we are nowhere near the standard to compete in the Champions League, but I do feel we are better equipped to do ourselves justice in the Europa League, which I feel is the best we can realistically hope for anyway as I expect both Liverpool and Chelsea to overtake us in the run in.

But tbh I don't see anyone outside the so called elite investing "big time" next season. An entire spectator free season has had a massive financial impact on all clubs and I think there will be a period of balance sheet rebuilding not just in this country but all across Europe. But with regard to recruitment I prefer the Moyes approach of waiting for the right player to become available to the ridiculous scatter gun principle employed by Redknapp back in the day where players totally unfit for any sort of purpose were brought in simply because, well, they were available.

I have still to be convinced that Benrahma is going to contribute much to our efforts but I don't think anyone can disagree that Dawson, Coufal & Soucek have proved to be excellent value for money acquisitions. If, as I expect, funds are limited in the summer I would rather see three more like them than another highly priced Benrahma.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:10 am

Morning h69,

I wouldn't describe Moyes' tenure at Everton as failure. Whilst I agree the media machine overhyped his performances there to the extent he was regarded as having been successful, by Everton's recent standards he did manage to raise their profile. Imo they are another club whose fans have ideas above their station. They haven't been a seriously relevant force in football since the 80s.

I agree with you that we are nowhere near the standard to compete in the Champions League, but I do feel we are better equipped to do ourselves justice in the Europa League, which I feel is the best we can realistically hope for anyway as I expect both Liverpool and Chelsea to overtake us in the run in.

But tbh I don't see anyone outside the so called elite investing "big time" next season. An entire spectator free season has had a massive financial impact on all clubs and I think there will be a period of balance sheet rebuilding not just in this country but all across Europe. But with regard to recruitment I prefer the Moyes approach of waiting for the right player to become available to the ridiculous scatter gun principle employed by Redknapp back in the day where players totally unfit for any sort of purpose were brought in simply because, well, they were available.

I have still to be convinced that Benrahma is going to contribute much to our efforts but I don't think anyone can disagree that Dawson, Coufal & Soucek have proved to be excellent value for money acquisitions. If, as I expect, funds are limited in the summer I would rather see three more like them than another highly priced Benrahma.
goodpost:)

A well written post mate.

Benrahma..You really have to question whether he was a Moyes signing or interference from the stooge at the top of the club.

h69

Post by h69 »

Morning h69,

Morning mate....all fair points but I do believe Aston Villa have been investing heavily for a couple of years as have Everton and Spurs.....thing is, it has not made them better. I would argue we invested better than Spurs and Everton this season despite them spending a lot more money.

As for not being ready to play in Europe.....maybe not but that is no reason not to play in it. When is a club ever ready ?

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Morning h69,

Benrahama has not been given a chance because he doesn't run hard in straight lines.

Dawson is a squad player. Yes he has been outstanding but last few games the wheels are coming off. Not even close to Ogbonna.

Coufal is a limited player - but a proper right back.

Soucek is top draw at what he does.

Our squad is so light that the Europa League will see us near the bottom by Christmas unless we recruit heavily.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

only1salty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:16 am

Benrahama has not been given a chance because he doesn't run hard in straight lines.

Dawson is a squad player. Yes he has been outstanding but last few games the wheels are coming off. Not even close to Ogbonna.

Coufal is a limited player - but a proper right back.

Soucek is top draw at what he does.

Our squad is so light that the Europa League will see us near the bottom by Christmas unless we recruit heavily.
the last line is my fear, trying to compete in europe with a paper thin squad is a recipe for disaster in the prem, and by the time we get out of it its too late to play catch up in the league. Appreciate its all about moving forward and baby steps but cant see enough investment in the squad this time around to make it viable. But i guess we have to start the journey somewhere if we are to be a regular top 6 team.
The only good thing that may come out of qualifying is rice/souchec and lingard staying for another season.