Moyes--The Best We Can Hope For

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Moyes--The Best We Can Hope For

Post by Whiskyman »

Cards on table time. I wasn't overjoyed when we appointed Moyes on either occasion. I was also one of the fairly big number who thought Pellegrini was a great choice and represented an opportunity to make progress. In typical West Ham fashion, you know the words of the dirge, dreams fading and dying, the Pellegrini appointment, after a promising first season went tits up and the usual relegation scrap beckoned.

So in came Motes for the second time. And I have to say that. after just over a year into his second coming, I am very impressed by what he has achieved so far. He has recruited well. Coufal is , imo, in terms of value for money,. one of the best pieces of business the club has ever done, Soucek has become a key component in the team, as has Bowen. Even Dawson, who was probably intended to be one of those "only to be used in an emergency" loan signings has performed very creditably in the games he has played in, gaining 2 MOTM nominations (yes I know) from the watching punditry. The only player who has come in under Moyes about whom there are still doubts, at least for me, is Benrahma, although even he had, again only imo, his best game for us yesterday so hopefully he might, in time, show he can make the transition to the PL. And of course there are some who believe maybe Benrahma was a dwarfism, rather than a Moyes driven move.

On the field it's clear the players have bought into the style of play Moyes wants us to play. We have only been beaten heavily once, 3-0 by Chelsea, and although I didn't buy into the "we wuz robbed" arguments some put forward I didn't think by any stretch it was a scoreline that reflected the game accurately. We lost to a very late goal at Anfield, should have probably beaten Man United based on our first half domination, gained a creditable point against Man City and totally outclassed, out thought and outscored Leicester. And that little lot are currently sitting very near to the top of the table, as are Everton, another team we have beaten so far.

Of course Moyes isn't perfect and of course he makes decsions some of us wouldn't. My biggest criticism is that he isn't ruthless enough with the deadwood. I would like to see the likes of Ashby and anyone else who has been identified as having potential given the bench places currently occupied by the likes of Fredericks and Noble. Noble simply isn't good enough any more and Fredericks never has been. So why keep trundling them out ? I don't think the kids could be any worse, even if they don't make an immediate impact.

Moyes' style of football has been criticised and no one can begin to explain, I imagine including Moyes himself, the inexplicable team selection against Brighton. But that game apart when we have been poor we have, at least, shown some bottle and got results from games where maybe we didn't deserve them on performance. I love watching Manchester City but even they in some of their recent matches, the last one being Brighton, are sometimes a very difficult team to watch when things don't quite kick into place. The point being that even the best sometimes fail to turn on the style.

But at the end of the day we have to ask one key question. For those who would like to see the back of Moyes who, realistically, would they like to see replace him who they feel could do a better job. Imo some of our fans have begun to sound like the Essex branch of the Spurs supporters club. We should be playing "attractive" football, whatever the fuck that is. There should be more emphasis on attack, and so on. Ok we'd all like to see 3 or 4 goals banged in every match but, at least for me, a 1-0 win like yesterday is preferable any day of the week to an end to end 3-3. And in any case we have seen three "goalfests" haven't we? Spurs and Leicester away and Wolves at our gaff weren't too shabby, were they ?

So I'm prepared to hold ny hands up and say I may have got it wrong about Moyes. I don't expect us to play like Manchester City or the great Barcelona side of a few years back. I might raise my expectation levels if we signed a deBruyne or an Aguerro, or suddenly unearthed the next Iniesta or Messi from our academy but until we do that which, let's face it, ain't going to happen I'm content to enjoy this season for what it is and see where it takes us. I don't want to have someone whispering in my ear after Moyes has been hounded out that I should have been careful what I wished for.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Re: Moyes--The Best We Can Hope For

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

goodpost:)

Not a great Moyes lover however looking at his first full season with us ,barring getting us out of the shit from the two previous wankers in charge I would honestly say deserves another contract with us but has to be more ruthless with the pair of cunt owners whether that happens is another thing
Seems to have stopped a lot of the bollocks spouting out from the dildos which is a good thing imo
I must say he is gettting more likeable from me

Who else I’ll leave to the world football experts to mull over.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

My answer to DP , from the Burnley match comments .
I really cannot answer that buddy , in reality with the owners we have who knows , just like the strikers we have had while they have had the reins , a scatter ball approach , lucky dip and pot luck describes their ambition .
But at the moment Moysie is doing about as good as it can get , with what he has to work with , doubt anyone could have done a better job with the skills he has available .
Moyes has got us playing as a team that can grind out results , he has made us resilient , defensively sound and the players a dam sight fitter , now he just has to be able to build the team he wants , so will need the backing of the owners to do that , but the current financial climate really doesn't help us according to the spiel coming out of the club .
All this doesn't mean I have to like his insincere smug annoying face though .

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:40 am Cards on table time. I wasn't overjoyed when we appointed Moyes on either occasion. I was also one of the fairly big number who thought Pellegrini was a great choice and represented an opportunity to make progress. In typical West Ham fashion, you know the words of the dirge, dreams fading and dying, the Pellegrini appointment, after a promising first season went tits up and the usual relegation scrap beckoned.

So in came Motes for the second time. And I have to say that. after just over a year into his second coming, I am very impressed by what he has achieved so far. He has recruited well. Coufal is , imo, in terms of value for money,. one of the best pieces of business the club has ever done, Soucek has become a key component in the team, as has Bowen. Even Dawson, who was probably intended to be one of those "only to be used in an emergency" loan signings has performed very creditably in the games he has played in, gaining 2 MOTM nominations (yes I know) from the watching punditry. The only player who has come in under Moyes about whom there are still doubts, at least for me, is Benrahma, although even he had, again only imo, his best game for us yesterday so hopefully he might, in time, show he can make the transition to the PL. And of course there are some who believe maybe Benrahma was a dwarfism, rather than a Moyes driven move.

On the field it's clear the players have bought into the style of play Moyes wants us to play. We have only been beaten heavily once, 3-0 by Chelsea, and although I didn't buy into the "we wuz robbed" arguments some put forward I didn't think by any stretch it was a scoreline that reflected the game accurately. We lost to a very late goal at Anfield, should have probably beaten Man United based on our first half domination, gained a creditable point against Man City and totally outclassed, out thought and outscored Leicester. And that little lot are currently sitting very near to the top of the table, as are Everton, another team we have beaten so far.

Of course Moyes isn't perfect and of course he makes decsions some of us wouldn't. My biggest criticism is that he isn't ruthless enough with the deadwood. I would like to see the likes of Ashby and anyone else who has been identified as having potential given the bench places currently occupied by the likes of Fredericks and Noble. Noble simply isn't good enough any more and Fredericks never has been. So why keep trundling them out ? I don't think the kids could be any worse, even if they don't make an immediate impact.

Moyes' style of football has been criticised and no one can begin to explain, I imagine including Moyes himself, the inexplicable team selection against Brighton. But that game apart when we have been poor we have, at least, shown some bottle and got results from games where maybe we didn't deserve them on performance. I love watching Manchester City but even they in some of their recent matches, the last one being Brighton, are sometimes a very difficult team to watch when things don't quite kick into place. The point being that even the best sometimes fail to turn on the style.

But at the end of the day we have to ask one key question. For those who would like to see the back of Moyes who, realistically, would they like to see replace him who they feel could do a better job. Imo some of our fans have begun to sound like the Essex branch of the Spurs supporters club. We should be playing "attractive" football, whatever the fuck that is. There should be more emphasis on attack, and so on. Ok we'd all like to see 3 or 4 goals banged in every match but, at least for me, a 1-0 win like yesterday is preferable any day of the week to an end to end 3-3. And in any case we have seen three "goalfests" haven't we? Spurs and Leicester away and Wolves at our gaff weren't too shabby, were they ?

So I'm prepared to hold ny hands up and say I may have got it wrong about Moyes. I don't expect us to play like Manchester City or the great Barcelona side of a few years back. I might raise my expectation levels if we signed a deBruyne or an Aguerro, or suddenly unearthed the next Iniesta or Messi from our academy but until we do that which, let's face it, ain't going to happen I'm content to enjoy this season for what it is and see where it takes us. I don't want to have someone whispering in my ear after Moyes has been hounded out that I should have been careful what I wished for.
I won’t be whispering, no need to worry about that :D
Bring back Jonathon !

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Yeah well summed up mate..

Will chuck one thing in..that might have made a difference to how some of us see him...what IF...the big IF... :lol:
Mickey Antonio had stayed fit and Firing and we didn't have to play Haller...

Add Arthur being out...when we had the option of a 3/5....without those couple injuries,where could we be now.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

mkhammer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am Yeah well summed up mate..

Will chuck one thing in..that might have made a difference to how some of us see him...what IF...the big IF... :lol:

Add Arthur being out...when we had the option of a 3/5....without those couple injuries,where could we be now.
That's true. But injuries, like death and taxes, are a fact of life in football. We just have to deal with them. If Fabianski hadn'r been injured last season would our form have tanked ? Maybe Pellegrini would still be at the helm. That's the beauty of football, we just don't know. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

mkhammer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am Yeah well summed up mate..

Nah , didn't work for me , Antonio staying fit is like saying he has a right and left foot capable of keeping him upright , and not hitting his strike into row 30 of the stadium . Antonio was on a hot lucky streak in my eyes ( if only he was a capable frontman ) really hope he can prove me wrong though , but what he does on the pitch certainly works for us and Moyes .
As for Haller , still put it down to Moyes selection tactics having a bearing on how Haller performed , though in the end much of what we saw was Haller not giving a shite .
Not sure Masuaku has any bearing on proceedings as Moyes prefers 4 at the back ,but as Moyes has no ability to see beyond a solid defensive structure ( prefers not to lose rather than winning ) . Moyes could have used Longelo , Masuaku is defensively poor and had to have Fornals in front of him and Cresswell behind as cover, and in my eyes offered nothing in the final third .

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Since Moyes came back last year, he made massive differences, he brought in new training coaches for all area with Nevin, Irvine, Nolan and Pearce which is much better than the Pellegrini's ones, then Moyes brought in 2 fitness coaches and made the difference as our players now more fitter, played full 90 minutes without showing tiredness or lack of fitness.

I am very impressed with Moyes and ALL his backroom staff. Moyes notice he needs to build a good spine in our squad as it was messy with over-rated Anderson, Fredericks, Sanchez, Haller that never shines. Moyes brought in at first instance to partner Rice as he notice that midfielder area is weak as Noble kept giving the ball away too many times and not giving much offensive side so Moyes brought in Soucek that he wants BEFORE he became manager as he made a list to be ready for his new club. Then he brought in Bowen for the right flank and both Soucek and Bowen made the difference plus better formation with 3 at the back and 2 wings back but still not 100% yet. Then he brought in Coufa and Benrahma and now our squad are almost healthy as we are still looking for Antonio's striker partnership that fit in same mould as him.

All I hope this season is NOT a 1 season wonder like 2015-16 and the rest in the relegation scrap--heaps. Hope to keep on going season by season to be consistancy and trying to get into Europe.

whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

In the circumstances,Moyes has performed a miracle.

We have the worst owners by far in the PL and his done what his done,with his fantastic coaching staff.

I know the football can be pragmatic with his tactics,but have you ever seen a more fitter and organised West Ham?

I would just like to know what is holding our board back from offering Moyes and his staff a new contract? Wouldn't be surprised if Moyes was offered a job somewhere else and he jumped ship?That would just sum, our bloody owners up.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

I have to admit I'm happy with our season so far. I think the big difference is the togetherness brought about by Moyes and especially his backroom staff.
For years we were a lot of people's 2nd team and that's lovely, but if it means we get beat 7-6 and play great football then fuck that for a game of soldiers.
I want us to play some decent stuff of course, but I also want us to have that hard to beat nasty cuntox side. Far too many times in the past, we've rolled over and got done by shit teams, fuck that.
Untill we have got rid of these parasites it's about the best we can get. Better owners with a bit of ambition will hopefully arrive, untill then, he'll do for me.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.