West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Castiron wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:41 pm What a fucking surprise with Antonio. Surely he knew he wasn't 100%, and Moyes is paid a lot of money to make the right decisions that all of us could see happening a million fucking miles away.
Do they never fucking learn!!!
Don't think Moyes can be blamed for this tbh. Normally in these situations the player himself will be asked how he feels and the medical staff would also have considerable input. The manager would be guided by the feedback from the player and the medics.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Tbh Antonio’s absence wouldn’t bother me as I have great faith in Haller .

A back 4 on the other hand , unless young Ben Johnson gets the nod WOULD regardless of the oppo.

1-3 defeat maybe even 1-4.
Bring back Jonathon !

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 pm
Castiron wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:41 pm What a fucking surprise with Antonio. Surely he knew he wasn't 100%, and Moyes is paid a lot of money to make the right decisions that all of us could see happening a million fucking miles away.
Don't think Moyes can be blamed for this tbh. Normally in these situations the player himself will be asked how he feels and the medical staff would also have considerable input. The manager would be guided by the feedback from the player and the medics.
I would blame him, as he is ultimately the decision maker.
He would have seen him In training, fuck me I could tell Antonio still wasn’t right the first time he chased down a ball vs Villa, he certainly was holding back.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:34 pm

I would blame him, as he is ultimately the decision maker.
He would have seen him In training, fuck me I could tell Antonio still wasn’t right the first time he chased down a ball vs Villa, he certainly was holding back.
You're right. But none of us saw Antonio in training. Maybe he was tearing it up like Usain Bolt. Maybe he wasn't. We just don't know. But what we can be sure of is that Antonio himself would have been involved in the decision as, I assume, would be the medical bods. You're absolutely right about the incident v Villa which, if I remember right, was towards the end of the first half. He clearly wasn't up for it and it was no surprise when he didn't reappear for the second half.

I'm in the same boat as Newmarket on this one tbh. Antonio's absence doesn't concern me as much as the possibility of reverting to a back 4 in order to accommodate Benrahma. Man United are at their best when counter attacking and hitting teams on the break. So are we. So imo we shouldn't play into their hands by trying to force the game.

Macca666

Post by Macca666 »

They have a huge game in the champions league next week and from what I’ve read are planning to make a few changes for today’s game, so hopefully they will be dogshite and we can Knick a point at least. We played them last away game of last season at their place, and let’s be honest they were fucking awful and were lucky to get a point, having said all that I’m not confident so it’s 1 . 2 for me lol. COYI

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

That's what I meant when I said "surely he knew", I meant Antonio not Moyes, but as Towie said, surely Moyes had seen enough in training, or was he not even training much and just thrown in?, Which makes it all the more annoying.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Castiron wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:43 am

That's what I meant when I said "surely he knew", I meant Antonio not Moyes, but as Towie said, surely Moyes had seen enough in training, or was he not even training much and just thrown in?, Which makes it all the more annoying.
I get that. But there was a comment made by someone during the Villa game, not sure if it was the commentator or the pundits, that Antonio takes "a while to get back up to speed after he's been out". So it becomes a bit of a catch 22. Play him and get him up to speed and run the risk of a recurrence of the injury or keep him out of the side which probably takes him longer to get up to full working order.

And of course there's also the coaching staff involved with these decisions so it's not all down to Moyes. Although I agree at the end of the day it's him who will have the final say.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

I have to be honest, Cavani worries me. Man Utd have an excellent away record and we have been sub par in recent weeks (despite winning).

We have road our luck considerably, which we cannot expect to get away with against Man Spew. With no Antonio to lead the line I'm afraid I fear the worst.
Flairon

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Thing I didn't get with the Micky situation is that IMO he should have been on the Bench,Haller starting,we go a goal or
2 up,leave him on...gives Antonio another week...longer the better with pulls and strains..
If 25 or so left, we're a goal down or drawing,give him a run out..

TBH we have to take a hard look at what we do with Antonio....good as he is a "Top 6" side would look at unloading..
He misses a Dozen to 15 Games every season for us...you just can't have team being reliant on a player with those Stats..
I'm Mickys biggest Fan and always said he starts..when others have doubted him..but we have to be realistic..

Today...was really looking forward to it..still am, but losing Antonio is a big blow...think we can handle the "Lesser" Strength
sides...but the Mancs/Scousers of the World...we need him,we don't seem so backs to the wall with him in,keeps other
sides defence busy,moreso than Haller,we can play that long ball out for a chase...with Haller waste of time,he needs
the ball to feet and support.
Be More than Happy with a draw today...Cavani Scares the shit outta me,one of the best around...Natural Goalscorer
with Skill and great workrate....this wont go down well,but Similar to Brucie...

We're 11/4 more or less for both win and draw so will cover both...with a bit more on the draw this time,usually cover
it as a money back..
will also do same bet with both sides scoring..which is 6/1 and 4/1.....Small stakes tho...good odds...but it is the Mancs
and I'm not Totally stupid..... :lol:

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

I hope those attending today are going to be wrapped up. With a howling wind and sitting isolated on plastic seats is going to be a long 90 mins.
With no hospitality and wearing a thin mask to catch a runny nose, it's going to be a static feat of endurance. Toilets being closed just adds to the fun.

The pubs will be rammed in Twickenham and I reckon an 11 pint session plus a late curry will be the natural order of events. It's another £70 afternoon and that's without all the other stuff like tobacco, food and general fucking wastage which we all do. I can't include the haircut because that's personal grooming and a completely different budget.

The Gonz thinks we will lose heavily, Geo thinks we will win heavily and I think we will draw heavily. Someone is going to be right...and someone is going to be pissed and past caring - not me, I have a busy day