Maradona

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Maradona

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 am
terrya1965 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:34 pm

If the Champions League is bigger and more popular,than the World Cup,why does it get nearly FOUR times has many worldwide viewers?

This theory about teams being brilliant in the CL.Liverpool in 2005 won it with an awful side and Chelsea's weren`t much better either in 2012?
It could also be argued that the best teams don't always win the World Cup. I was only 8 when England won it but by popular consent they weren't the best team by a long way. I thought Holland were the best team in 1974 and as people have said on this thread Maradona won it on his own pretty much in 1986, so they, in your words, probably had an awful team but still won it. For Maradona read Gerrard and Drogba in the teams you mentioned.Not in the same league talent wise of course but I'm sure you get my drift.

I get your point about viewing figures. BUT. Nearly as many people watched the last Super Bowl as watched the last World cup final. Does that make it as big an event ?
I did research that.They reckon more people watch that in USA,but not worldwide.

I do agree with you about the best team not winning,but tbh in any Cup Competition that will happen.Only in a League,you are REAL Champions,because you have played everyone home and away and come out on top.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:38 am
Newmarket wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am

Are you suggesting that Ruud Gullitt played in the same Dutch team as Cruff :lol: ?

However I get your point .

Step up
Neeskens
Haan
Krol
Van der Kerkoff x 2
Rep
Rensenbrink.

A great great team undone in ‘74 imo by the individual brilliance of Beckenbaur and one Gerd Muller.
I thought that might be interpreted that way, but included it anyway. I used Gullitt not because he was Dutch but because he had been referenced in the posts quoted. The Netherlands team of 74 were fantastic as were the team in 88.
Both of them teams had the nucleus of Ajax and AC Milan and was the main reason why they were so good.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Newmarket wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:33 am

It could also be argued that the best teams don't always win the World Cup. I was only 8 when England won it but by popular consent they weren't the best team by a long way. I thought Holland were the best team in 1974 and as people have said on this thread Maradona won it on his own pretty much in 1986, so they, in your words, probably had an awful team but still won it. For Maradona read Gerrard and Drogba in the teams you mentioned.Not in the same league talent wise of course but I'm sure you get my drift.

I get your point about viewing figures. BUT. Nearly as many people watched the last Super Bowl as watched the last World cup final. Does that make it as big an event ?
I am in no doubt that the Cl final would be up there viewing figures wise were it on free to view national television stations .
But the rest of the competition? Really ?

The CL is imo a fucking borefest from start to finish based mainly on 2 things.

Firstly West Ham ain’t in it .

Secondly , although I couldn’t even tell you which clubs are participating this season , I’m willing to bet that given a list of the aforementioned clubs in August , I could correctly predict the last 8 due to its boring boring boring predictably and ridiculous seeding system . I reckon your Barca tinted glasses are playing up :lol:

Anyway I digress , the greatest player will always be Pele and Tel , during Pele’s career were the “ major” European leagues REALLY that much “stronger” than the South American equivalents ?

That divide imo has only come about relatively recently due to , yep you know it , ££££$$$$€€€€ !
I did say on this thread,that I couldn`t really make proper comment on Pele,because I'd only seen clips of him.So it will always be debatable, who is the greatest?

But since watching football in the past 50 years,Maradona is the best I have seen.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

terrya1965 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:57 pm
mkhammer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:13 pm

You say it's all about opinions they say I'm babbling crap...and haven't thought it thru....
You also need to read the wording of my post and not surmise...and read what isn't there..

I'll try and explain it again....IMO if you call someone the Worlds best footballer they should be that,,,otherwise you
go worlds best defender,worlds best striker and so on...Maradona worlds best Striker,we can argue that,Worlds Best
all round Footballer NO.......I'm disagreeing with the way it's interpreted in general not just you.
Is Maradona even Agentinas best striker ..Batistuta..in my book....

Us at the Moment...Oggys our best defender..Micky is our best Striker...but our Best "Player " is Declan.........
So I'm gonna say Rice is our best footballer.

YES Cruyff would be better in goal than Maradona.... as he'd be a better CH,a better Fullback,a better sitter,a better
playmaker..and has a better goalscoring record...club and country....but think you missed the point I was making.

Gullit yes I know Gullits history watched him dominate games against us as a Sweeper a few times...
Never said he was a better player than Maradona.....said IMO he was/is up there and one of my favourite Players...
Very high up on a list of 20/30 or so...including Maradona..

Opinions mate...not Crap
Gerrard was the best all round player I have ever seen,if that`s where you are trying to go with this conversation. Even he would admit he couldn't lace Maradona's boots.

You dug an hole and you can`t get out of it MK.

I enjoy your posts MK,whether I agree or not with you mate,but bloody hell mate.
Mate you just aint getting it ...not one bit.............Putting it as simply as I possibly can,I find it hard to call
ANYONE the Worlds Greatest Footballer..................one of the Greatest YES ....THE greatest NO....thats anyone,any player..
any sport...any politician..artist,musician,whatever...some can do it ..I can't.
if someone puts me on the spot...I'd go maybe Cryuff is the best I've Watched...But I'm a Fan of the Total football..
the Dutch use/used.....Every Player should be comfortable in any position,especially at the top level.
So Simple again....Cryuff would be comfortable in most positions....Maradona wouldn't...so for me he edges it....IMO....

Maradona is/was a fuckin great footballer,unbeleivable talent,great to watch,an Icon,a decent bloke,seen him talk the
most sense and honesty I've ever seen from anyone,let alone a footballer,love the guys passion...even get his problems..
half this country has done some Charlie at one time or another.. :lol:

And ...Yes Gerrard is exactly what I'm talking about...a total footballer...surely you must be getting what I'm saying mate...
you're being very blinkered with this.
I rate all round footballers more than One Dimensional ones.
You can't keep saying it's about opinions and refer to me as Babbling crap,and digging myself a hole...
Could talk all day long about the Beautiful game...and not fall into any holes mate..

JayK

Post by JayK »

All this talk and not one mention of Samassi Abou ffs
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am

I did research that.They reckon more people watch that in USA,but not worldwide.

I do agree with you about the best team not winning,but tbh in any Cup Competition that will happen.Only in a League,you are REAL Champions,because you have played everyone home and away and come out on top.
When the European Super League arrives that will solve the "real champions" issue. ;) :lol: ;) :lol:

And Newmarket's point about free to air coverage is a bloody good one when it comes to the World Cup v CL.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:05 pm Players cheat. They always have. That's why we have referees.
I don't ever remember Pele cheating. He was hacked to bits game in game out but is and was an honorable true gent, like Sir Bobby. These players are rightly held with high regard because they were great footballers as well.

Henry, Lee, McDermott and co don't get anywhere near that category.

Great footballers don't need to cheat

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

hd1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:13 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:05 pm Players cheat. They always have. That's why we have referees.
I don't ever remember Pele cheating. He was hacked to bits game in game out but is and was an honorable true gent, like Sir Bobby. These players are rightly held with high regard because they were great footballers as well.

Henry, Lee, McDermott and co don't get anywhere near that category.

Great footballers don't need to cheat
But Pele and Moore are the exceptions if, as you say, they never cheated. Any DELIBERATE foul, and I'm not talking about mistimed tackles, is a form of cheating is it not.? And players, even the greats, do commit deliberate fouls from time to time. If a game of football was contested by 22 honourable gentlemen exhibiting true Olympian traditional ideals, the likes of Mike Dean would be redundant.

Which, whilst a very pleasant thought, is a complete pipe dream.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:09 pm But Pele and Moore are the exceptions if, as you say, they never cheated. Any DELIBERATE foul, and I'm not talking about mistimed tackles, is a form of cheating is it not.? And players, even the greats, do commit deliberate fouls from time to time. If a game of football was contested by 22 honourable gentlemen exhibiting true Olympian traditional ideals, the likes of Mike Dean would be redundant.

Cheating in my mind is deliberately deceiving to gain an advantage, not committing a foul within the laws of the game.

If you think Pele and Moore are the only two players ever not to have truly cheated then you have a truly cynical view of the game.

Seems to me you are condoning cheating & deception as part of the game. It never used to be and it's sad that those did it are revered

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

hd1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:03 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:09 pm But Pele and Moore are the exceptions if, as you say, they never cheated. Any DELIBERATE foul, and I'm not talking about mistimed tackles, is a form of cheating is it not.? And players, even the greats, do commit deliberate fouls from time to time. If a game of football was contested by 22 honourable gentlemen exhibiting true Olympian traditional ideals, the likes of Mike Dean would be redundant.

Cheating in my mind is deliberately deceiving to gain an advantage, not committing a foul within the laws of the game.

If you think Pele and Moore are the only two players ever not to have truly cheated then you have a truly cynical view of the game.

Seems to me you are condoning cheating & deception as part of the game. It never used to be and it's sad that those did it are revered
Of course not every foul is deliberate cheating. A mistimed tackle for example. But EVERY intentional foul is, by definition, cheating. It is impossible to commit a foul as you put it within the laws of the game.

It is not a question of condoning cheating it is merely an acceptance that it happens. For heaven‘s sake many pundits even refer to the practice of taking one for the team as it is called as professionalism.