Maradona

Chat about anything football related here!
jameskel

Re: Maradona

Post by jameskel »

Cheat & the best

Ask Terry Fenwick, the useless cunt
Covid in the Boardroom

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:13 am
terrya1965 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:23 pm

Maradona was out on his own for me.THE GREATEST!

Let`s be honest and I remember clearly back in 1986,this fella single handed won Argentina the World Cup.They were a very average side and he was just sensational and unplayable.He was simply breathtaking.

Then you see him take Napoli to two Serie A titles,who were the equivalent of a Birmingham or Stoke City.Let`s not forget,Italy was by far the best League to ply your trade in back in the 1980's. All the best players went there.

Cruyff and Messi never did that with theirs countries and they always had great players round them for Ajax and Barcelona.Messi is the nearest I have seen,but Diego was a class up..He did it in a time when you were kicked off the park and pitches were not like carpets,like now.
For me Messi shades it in the best of all time stakes. Critics will say he's never won a World Cup but for me the Champions League in today's football is a bigger prize. Maradona was a great player, as was Cruyff and, for that matter, so was George Best who had the disadvantage internationally of being Irish. But I think those of us who have enjoyed watching football in the 80s and onwards have been very fortunate to have seen a number of really great players during that time.
Maradona took very average teams and made them world beaters

When Messi plays in an average team - he sulks and his team deteriorates.

Great players lift those around them. Ronaldo the same - elevated Portugal to another level.

In my lifetime Maradona is by far the best player I have ever seen - by some distance.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:52 pm
mkhammer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:58 am Great Player no doubt....funny how we've been talkin bout cheating..should you do it...I said if it meant winning the
top prize for your country,maybe it is..understandable,if not right.So much as I hate the little fucker for it...I get it.

Think Messi is as good if not better..for that sort of game.

Also reckon we should say worlds greatest Forward ....Cruff still maybe the Worlds Best,Cos he was a complete Footballer.
All well and good, head down running beating players...looks great,but the best players can do that plus have a
passing game,with vision, etc...Cruff could do so much more than he could.

Theres a few I'd put ahead of him..when it comes to Worlds Greatest Player..
Cruff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :x :lol: :x :lol:
:lol: ....Y the fuck did I do that......

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Let`s be honest and I remember clearly back in 1986,this fella single handed won Argentina the World Cup.They were a very average side and he was just sensational and unplayable.He was simply breathtaking.

Then you see him take Napoli to two Serie A titles,who were the equivalent of a Birmingham or Stoke City.Let`s not forget,Italy was by far the best League to ply your trade in back in the 1980's. All the best players went there.

Cruyff and Messi never did that with theirs countries and they always had great players round them for Ajax and Barcelona.Messi is the nearest I have seen,but Diego was a class up..He did it in a time when you were kicked off the park and pitches were not like carpets,like now.
For me Messi shades it in the best of all time stakes. Critics will say he's never won a World Cup but for me the Champions League in today's football is a bigger prize. Maradona was a great player, as was Cruyff and, for that matter, so was George Best who had the disadvantage internationally of being Irish. But I think those of us who have enjoyed watching football in the 80s and onwards have been very fortunate to have seen a number of really great players during that time.
The Champion's League is NOT a bigger prize than the World Cup.

Ask yourself?..If Man United(our biggest club in England)win the CL and England win the World Cup..How many fans would turn up to see the trophy return and what would have the biggest effect on our economy?There is NO competition.Go to any European country in the world with their top domestic team and their country.It will be exactly the same.

Ask any player,what he would rather win?I don't think it would be the CL.

To win the World Cup is the pinnacle of any players career.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

mkhammer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:58 am Great Player no doubt....funny how we've been talkin bout cheating..should you do it...I said if it meant winning the
top prize for your country,maybe it is..understandable,if not right.So much as I hate the little fucker for it...I get it.

Think Messi is as good if not better..for that sort of game.

Also reckon we should say worlds greatest Forward ....Cruff still maybe the Worlds Best,Cos he was a complete Footballer.
All well and good, head down running beating players...looks great,but the best players can do that plus have a
passing game,with vision, etc...Cruff could do so much more than he could.

Theres a few I'd put ahead of him..when it comes to Worlds Greatest Player..

Just think when you say Worlds best Footballer,it has to be that.. a Footballer...can't be the Worlds best Footballer if you
only have one part of the game..always prefered all round players,as being the best....Pele for instance could do stuff Maradona
didn't have the vision for...same goes for Cruyff,they were just as effective,but had even more about them..
Guy was a one off brilliant player can't argue that...
But I like players that can read and dictate a game,and be able to play pretty much anywhere..
Cruff/Pele,could play a decent centre back game if needed...could Maradona.
Bit like calling Bolt the worlds greatest Athlete..No, it's the guy that wins the Decathlon ,he's the best Athlete,Bolt is the
greatest sprinter.
Never really liked the term Worlds Best individual in team stuff anyway...Cricket maybe you could have it.

Ruud Gullit is right up there for me...could play international standard all over the pitch CF MF CB/Sweeper,wide, central,
would do a class job anywhere..

Nearly as good as our Mickey...... :lol:

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Not fit to lace Pele's boots, the cheating cunt

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:00 am

The Champion's League is NOT a bigger prize than the World Cup.

Ask yourself?..If Man United(our biggest club in England)win the CL and England win the World Cup..How many fans would turn up to see the trophy return and what would have the biggest effect on our economy?There is NO competition.Go to any European country in the world with their top domestic team and their country.It will be exactly the same.

Ask any player,what he would rather win?I don't think it would be the CL.

To win the World Cup is the pinnacle of any players career.
Disagree. The World Cup used to be the pinnacle but now imo the Champions League has surpassed it because of the way players now move all round the world to play for the best club sides.

Pele for example was a great player but because in his day it wasn't commonplace for players to play outside their own country, never mind their own continent, he probably never gets as much credit as he would have done if he had been born 20 years later.

Imo the leading club sides in most major European footballing countries would beat the national team of the league they play in. That is really the reason I think the club prize is bigger. It's harder to win. I've no idea how many fans would turn up to a parade if Man United won the CL or if England won the World Cup but I do take your point. The economy ? Not sure England winning the world cup would encourage people to go out and spend more or persuade foreign companies to invest in the U K, but I suppose you never know. I wasn't old enough in 1966 to make any judgment as to how the country's economy benefited. It may have done but I just don't know. Although the economy would have had a boost simply by hosting the tournament of course.

And is so called "national pride" a factor anymore. I remember Italia 90 when, oddly enough talking about Maradona, the city of Naples was very split when Argentina, with Maradona of course, played Italy. There was massive support for Argentina amongst the locals if you remember. You may be right if you did a poll amongst players but I would bet a decent sum of money that if you polled only the TOP players it would be a different story to a poll of all of them. The journeyman is always going to say the World Cup is his dream, but a player who plays, or at least has a chance of playing, for an "elite" club would possibly have a different perspective on things.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

hd1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:31 pm Not fit to lace Pele's boots, the cheating cunt
Aren't we talking about footballing ability rather than morality ?

And in any case if it had been, say, Gary Lineker who had done the same thing in that game would he have received the same level of criticism ?

There are three instances, Maradona's being one, the others being Thierry Henry's goal against Ireland and Luis Suarez giving away the penalty against Ghana with his handball where the outpouring of hatred was completely OTT.

The Suarez incident was no different to countless other occasions where a similar thing has happened in matches. Terry McDermott at Wembley against us back in the day for example. And I'm old enough to remember Francis Lee punching in a goal against Spurs.

Players cheat. They always have. That's why we have referees.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

hd1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:31 pm Not fit to lace Pele's boots, the cheating cunt
Absolutely. And Cruff :lol: for that matter .

Though either of them playing at centre back is really quite ridiculous.

Sorry MKman :D
Bring back Jonathon !

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

mkhammer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 am

Just think when you say Worlds best Footballer,it has to be that.. a Footballer...can't be the Worlds best Footballer if you
only have one part of the game..always prefered all round players,as being the best....Pele for instance could do stuff Maradona
didn't have the vision for...same goes for Cruyff,they were just as effective,but had even more about them..
Guy was a one off brilliant player can't argue that...
But I like players that can read and dictate a game,and be able to play pretty much anywhere..
Cruff/Pele,could play a decent centre back game if needed...could Maradona.
Bit like calling Bolt the worlds greatest Athlete..No, it's the guy that wins the Decathlon ,he's the best Athlete,Bolt is the
greatest sprinter.
Never really liked the term Worlds Best individual in team stuff anyway...Cricket maybe you could have it.

Ruud Gullit is right up there for me...could play international standard all over the pitch CF MF CB/Sweeper,wide, central,
would do a class job anywhere..

Nearly as good as our Mickey...... :lol:
You have your opinion and I have mine.

There will always be comparisons between Maradona and Pele.I will be honest and say,I never saw enough of Pele and the thing that went against him was,he never played in the strongest Leagues in World Football(Europe).

You are babbling crap now MK..Would Cruyff be better in goal than Maradona or Pele? :)

Are you REALLY saying Gullit was has good as Maradona..Sorry ,that is laughable.Do you remember he played for Chelsea in the 1990`s?A lot of people were happy to see him playing on these shores,but can you imagine if Maradona had come?You really haven`t thought about this at all,have you?